PDA

View Full Version : Gear for thru hike

Huddlehouse
02-12-2009, 22:25
Sleeping Pad - ThermaRest Prolite 4
Sleeping Bag - Ultralamina 32
Backpack - Vapor Trail
Cookware - Ultralight dualist cook system (for two)
Stove - Alchohol stove
Base layer - Capiliene 3 top and bottom
Shirt - Capiliene 1
Rain Jacket - Patagonia Rain Shadow
Jacket - Arcteryx Covert Cardigan(Will this be good or is the Patagonia R2 better)
Fleece Hat - Windstopper Micro dome
Pillow - Granite Gear Dream Sack
Chair - Big Agnes Cyclone
Shorts - Northface Swim suit
Filter - Hiker Pro
Pants - Matterhorn Convert Pants
Tent - BA Seedhouse SL2

Total: 17.24 lbs

This doesnt include food, water, and first aid. For someone who will thru hike the AT sometime in the future, does this look like a good set of gear to survive the extremes. Are there any suggestions?

SGT Rock
02-12-2009, 22:27
Pillow? Use a stuff sack.

Chair? Use a rock or the ground.

Filter? I thought that was what my teeth were for.

Stellbell3
02-12-2009, 22:32
So your going with a second person I take it??

snowhoe
02-12-2009, 22:36
Dude I think you should keep the pillow. I love mine and I get a good nite sleep with it. That is my luxury item.
Kick the shorts up the trail unless you are wearing them to sleep in.
Maybe 1 more shirt. Looks good other than that. At least to me.

Huddlehouse
02-12-2009, 22:41
So your going with a second person I take it??

Yeah my girlfriend and I. I just dont have her gear listed we have to buy it. We will be splitting the load

I can see how the chair can go but the pillow is essentially the pillow is a stuff sack by granite gear just with a fleece side. My luxury item as well

Arrow02
02-12-2009, 23:06
Suggestion on hiking shoes and socks. Wear footwear that will dry quickly. Forget the gortex footwear. For socks, I wore two pairs of polypro sock liners. No blisters even when my feet got wet and the socks would dry out in no time. You'll go through more than one pair of shoes so remember when buying new ones, lighter is better. I also bought some super-feet for support and they lasted the entire trip. Good luck and drop me a line when you get up into New England. I'm always looking to give out some trail magic.
Arrow

Nicksaari
02-12-2009, 23:09
well, im guessing that this big agnes chair needs as big agnes 20'' inflatable pad to go with it, right? unless you can fold a 20'' thermarest pad in there, get a thermarest chair.
bc its like less than six or seven ounces, and believe me, at the end of the day, its nice to rest that bum on one of those chairs. youve got light weight base gear (GG pack and wat not), so you've got the extra room for a few ounces more.
it seems that being as light weight as possible is the proverbial erection for most ppl here on WB: go out and experiment, do a 75 miles shake down hike, see what works best for YOU and yours, but def listen to Sgt Rock, he knows his shiznit.
get out there man. word up

Blissful
02-13-2009, 00:20
Need a lower rate sleeping bag, like 20 degrees for March to mid May NOBO. 32 degree is not warm enough.
Don't need shorts if you have convertibles. need a t-shirt. Socks.
No chair though I loved my thermarest seat cushion. And I took 2 pillows myself. :)
Aqua mira for water
Alcohol stove is tough to heat water sufficiently for two people. Will go through fuel. Might consider a pocket rocket.
personal gear too like headlamp? Camera, etc?

Huddlehouse
02-13-2009, 01:55
Need a lower rate sleeping bag, like 20 degrees for March to mid May NOBO. 32 degree is not warm enough.
Don't need shorts if you have convertibles. need a t-shirt. Socks.
No chair though I loved my thermarest seat cushion. And I took 2 pillows myself. :)
Aqua mira for water
Alcohol stove is tough to heat water sufficiently for two people. Will go through fuel. Might consider a pocket rocket.
personal gear too like headlamp? Camera, etc?

I had heard it was tough to get fuel canisters at some points on the trail and that denatured alcohol burns for a while and you wont go thru it as fast as you would fuel. That true?

Huddlehouse
02-13-2009, 01:57
Oh and what about the Cardigan vs. the R2? Which would be warmer?

Nest
02-13-2009, 02:20
I had heard it was tough to get fuel canisters at some points on the trail and that denatured alcohol burns for a while and you wont go thru it as fast as you would fuel. That true?

Canisters are almost as easy to find as alcohol. Not really an issue. I've never used an alky for two people because I've always hiked alone, but I can see how it wouldn't be the best for two people. Another option is to carry your own alky stoves, fuel, and cooksets. Maybe each carry a Kmart grease pot as your cook pot and to eat out of. That way you can eat what you want. You won't always feel like eating the same thing as you hiking partner. The couple I hiked with last year ended up carrying seperate stove and cooksets. One night they ended up getting seperated in a heavy hail storm and camped apart. The guy had the stove and was able to cook for himself that night. Luckily I stuck with his wife and she used my stove that night. After that they got another stove so that wouldn't be a problem again.

Panzer1
02-13-2009, 03:17
I agree with the comment about the sleeping bag. It should be a 20 degree bag, not a 32.

You still need to add: small pocket knife, nalgene water bottle, dromlite water bag with hydration hose, 2 cigarette lighters, spoon, bandanna and camp towel, toilet kit, medical kit, camp shoes, note book with pen or pencil, compass, maps, guide book, camera, trekking poles, watch, about 25 feet of cord, headlamp, socks, trash bag to line inside of backpack, rain cover for pack.

Add all that stuff and then tell us what the new total weight is.

Panzer

mtbmatty
02-13-2009, 16:38
IYou still need to add: compass, maps, guide book,
Panzer

12 posts b-4 somebody jumped on the fact that there was no mention of maps, compass, guidebooks

new WB record?:eek:

Panzer1
02-13-2009, 23:42
12 posts b-4 somebody jumped on the fact that there was no mention of maps, compass, guidebooks

I don't see that post. You must be thinking of some other thread.

Panzer:eek:

mtbmatty
02-14-2009, 10:38
I agree with the comment about the sleeping bag. It should be a 20 degree bag, not a 32.

You still need to add: small pocket knife, nalgene water bottle, dromlite water bag with hydration hose, 2 cigarette lighters, spoon, bandanna and camp towel, toilet kit, medical kit, camp shoes, note book with pen or pencil,:eek:----> compass, maps, guide book<-------:eek:, camera, trekking poles, watch, about 25 feet of cord, headlamp, socks, trash bag to line inside of backpack, rain cover for pack.

Add all that stuff and then tell us what the new total weight is.

Panzer

no i just chopped it up a bit:D

theinfamousj
02-14-2009, 23:59
Cookware - Ultralight dualist cook system (for two)
Stove - Alchohol stove

I'll probably get flamed for this, but if you are going to be heating water for two people, you may want to look in to building your own Sketti (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF1JgLkbpXg) (by Tinny of MiniBullDesigns) or just buying one from him. I've heard that it is a good stove for group (as in more-than-one) cooking.

Though you'll need twice the fuel as you would for just one person.

Chair - Big Agnes Cyclone

Why not the chair kit for your Therm-a-Rest?

Tent - BA Seedhouse SL2

Good tent. I have one and am very happy with it. Easy to set up in the rain if you just lay the fly over yourself and the tent body and then stick the pole into the webbing loops and finally clip everything up. The floor is a bit delicate, though, so you may want to think about some Tyvek to put down on the inside in case of pinholes.

Blissful
02-15-2009, 00:07

Canisters are easy to get. And since there are 2 of you, one can carry a a partial, the other more of a fuller one for longer trail stretches. Only a few places we opted to mail a canister to ourselves - once in PA and in NY.

Blissful
02-15-2009, 00:08

We were waiting for you...

:eek:

:D

mtnkngxt
02-17-2009, 12:38
Just each carry your own alcohol stove and pot. Can be done for 10 backs. Soda can and a Heineken pot and your set to go.

Rockhound
02-17-2009, 21:44
Forget the pillow. That's what your food bag is for. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
02-17-2009, 21:45

i agree

Blissful
02-18-2009, 12:08

Nothng like having that sausage and cheese propped under your head. :p

catfishrivers
02-18-2009, 13:26
Nothng like having that sausage and cheese propped under your head. :p

Sorry I am not making my head part of the hungry bear buffet. I use my thermarest pillows. I keep them in the "poofy" state and just smoosh them into my pack. They seem to poof back up this way much quicker than when the pillow is rolled and compressed.

Rockhound
02-18-2009, 15:47
forget the chair. That's what logs, stumps and rocks are for.

theinfamousj
02-19-2009, 00:24
I use my thermarest pillows. I keep them in the "poofy" state and just smoosh them into my pack. They seem to poof back up this way much quicker than when the pillow is rolled and compressed.

You should post this ^^ on the Pillow thread.

Huddlehouse
02-22-2009, 23:09
What about the Mountain Hardwear Flip 25/40 sleeping bag? Would that be a good replacement for the ultralamina?