PDA

View Full Version : Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam

SteveK
02-12-2009, 22:29
Hi Everyone:

A bunch of us are planning a short trip in GSMNP on the last week in March. I've got a bunch of questions that I hope some folks can help with:

- Is there a good way to get from the Park HQ up to the Alum Cave Trail. I thought I remembered that a backpacking store in Gatlinburg made runs up the road from Park HQ to Newfound Gap. I was thinking of squeezing in Mt. LeConte the first day, but would need to leave our car at the Park HQ.

- What is the shelter on Mt. LeConte like ? Any feedback is appreciated.

- If we start from Newfound Gap, is it safe to leave our car their for 5 days or so ? Any permits required ?

- How about leaving another car at Fontana Dam? Is the visitor center a good place to do this ?

Thanks for all your answers.

Steve

SGT Rock
02-12-2009, 22:33
Hi Everyone:

A bunch of us are planning a short trip in GSMNP on the last week in March. I've got a bunch of questions that I hope some folks can help with:

- Is there a good way to get from the Park HQ up to the Alum Cave Trail. I thought I remembered that a backpacking store in Gatlinburg made runs up the road from Park HQ to Newfound Gap. I was thinking of squeezing in Mt. LeConte the first day, but would need to leave our car at the Park HQ.
They do run shuttles. If you are going to do this just park at the outfitter and have them run you up. Phone is 865-436-2802

Like any other shelter in the Smokies. If you can make the miles, try going to Icewater Springs.

- If we start from Newfound Gap, is it safe to leave our car their for 5 days or so ? Any permits required ?
Nope. Just park. That time of year you may also want to look at parking at Clingman's Dome if the parking lot at Newfound is full. But chances are good it isn't going to be. You can also park at Alum Cave Trailhead.

- How about leaving another car at Fontana Dam? Is the visitor center a good place to do this ?
I haven't heard of any problems and the TVA has its own police force.

Steve
Hope that helps. Have a good hike.

sliderule
02-12-2009, 23:24
- Is there a good way to get from the Park HQ up to the Alum Cave Trail.

There is a scheduled shuttle bus (weekends only in March) that runs between Gatlinburg and Cherokee. They will drop you at any trailhead with a parking lot.

http://www.cherokeetransit.com/shuttle_to_cherokee.htm

Also, you could park at the Alum Cave trialhead, although Sugerlands Visitor Center might be safer. Hitching a ride from Newfound Gap down to Alum Cave would also be easy, if you wanted to park there after unloading at the trailhead.

That said, the Alum Cave Trail might not be a great idea in March if it is still iced up. There area a few places on it where your first slip could be your last. Plan accordingly.

OldStormcrow
02-13-2009, 10:07
I've hiked this section bunches of times and have never had any problems with my vehicles at Newfound or Fontana. The rangers will close the road to Newfound Gap, even in March, if it snows.....either locking you in or locking you out....and it has snowed on me (deep!) up there in the second week of April. You do need to get back country reservations from the Park folks to stay in the shelters, and the last time I checked you were still required to stay in shelters instead of tent camping.

Chappy
02-15-2009, 16:11
Hi Everyone:

Steve

Steve, Take this for what it's worth. I am a Seasonal Park Ranger in GRSM and I wouldn't leave my car at Newfound Gap for even one night. Nothing may ever happen, but that parking lot is one of the worst we have for break ins. If you decide to leave it there, though no permit is required, it would be advisable to leave some contact info either at Sugarlands VC or Oconaluftee VC. You will need to register for backcountry camping.