PDA

View Full Version : Crowded?

mtchacora
05-11-2004, 03:40
I am new to the AT and was wondering if anyone could tell me how many people I could expect to see in Maine this time of year (day/over night). I would appreciate the info, THANKS!

Jaybird
05-11-2004, 05:34
I am new to the AT and was wondering if anyone could tell me how many people I could expect to see in Maine this time of year (day/over night). I would appreciate the info, THANKS!

mtchacora

most folks that hike SOBO start in Maine in June...so, i wouldnt think that there'd be too many hikers there now...especially knowing this is HIGH SEASON for BLACK FLYS! OUCH!

Good Luck with your hike. :D

Peaks
05-11-2004, 08:29
In May, I'd expect to find people out there for a few days, and not many thru-hikers. Possibly a lot of weekenders. Usually, the earliest that a thru-hiker starts is after Memorial Day when the Hunt Trail up Katahdin opens. And then many wait until July to start because the streams are high and cold with spring runoff, and until black fly season is over.

TJ aka Teej
05-11-2004, 08:43
Welcome, MtChacora
The folks you'll see on the AT this time of year are maintainers, weekenders, and day hikers. This break between mud season and blackfly season is a wonderful time in the Maine woods. There's a few thruhikers that'll start this weekend, and who will flip back to Katahdin when it opens later in the month. I'd be surprised if the Hunt Trail isn't open by the 24th.

Doc
05-11-2004, 12:08
I just returned from my first work trip into Leaman Brook Leanto this last weekend. Walked through some snow drifts three feet deep at Monson end. Saw two dayhikers part-way in. The shelter register had no entries since 1/11/04 which was a snowshoe trip. Lovely time to be in the Maine woods, but at 12:01 AM on June first the black flies arrive and stay the month. The do, however, go to bed early and are not about in the night-time.

Doc

mtchacora
05-11-2004, 16:28
Thanks for the info. I'm afraid that Doc was wrong though. The black flies are not coming June 1 at 12:01, but at 12:02 according to the Maine Organization of Flying Organisms (MO FO's). They also had some advice as to what to do if confronted by black flies.

1. DO NOT stare them in the eye(it is considered an act of agression)
2. DO NOT feed them(they will become "problem" flies and will have to be tracked down and shot)
3. DO NOT go outside(if you have to hike, make sure you don't sweat)
4. DO NOT make them pets(they are wild, and have been known to occasionally bite their owners)
5. DO ignore them(they will become disinterested and fly away)