PDA

View Full Version : Pack Cover recommedations?

RememberYourZen
02-12-2009, 23:48
Ive got a gregory baltoro 70 and have yet to purchase a pack cover. Found some cheaper ones online but was planning on just purchasing the 30 dollar sea to summit pack cover since I've had alot of success with their products.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of pack cover works best?

SunnyWalker
02-13-2009, 00:20
Trashcompactor bag, inside the pack. Cheaper. Less hassle.

shoe
02-13-2009, 00:22
I don't think you can go wrong with the Sea to Summit.
I have one made by Etowah gear.

I personally don't like the compacter/garbage lining but that's just me.

Blissful
02-13-2009, 00:24
I took a sil nlyon pack cover and doubled bag my sleeping bag and clothes in Reynolds oven bags for extra protection.

Powder River
02-13-2009, 00:34
Don't go with sil nylon. I carried one of these http://www.granitegear.com/products/accessories/cloudcover.html, which was extremely worthless. The rain water wicks straight through the material and your pack will get wet. Get a regular waterproof nylon cover, and make sure it is big enough to fit over stuff that you might have strapped to the outside. However, your first line of defense should be a pack liner, and pack everything in waterproof stuff sacks. A pack cover just keeps the water from making a soaking mess of everything. I carried a trash compactor bag as a liner, which lasted me the whole trail.

RememberYourZen
02-13-2009, 00:44
I line my pack with a trash compactor bag..but I do tend to strap a bunch of stuff to the outside.

I guess Sea to Summit sounds like the plan. Probably will go for the cheaper one though, not the sil-nylon

RememberYourZen
02-13-2009, 00:44
So you guys use dry bags to put your clothing in and stuff?

I usually just use the stronger reynolds bags.

BitBucket
02-13-2009, 00:50
I picked up a like new Gregory cover here on WB for $10 delivered...someone is always trying to unload their extra stuff here...good bargains are readily available..

Nest
02-13-2009, 02:34
So you guys use dry bags to put your clothing in and stuff?

I usually just use the stronger reynolds bags.

I had everything in either waterproof or water resistant stuff sacks. Then has a turkey roaster bag as a bag liner. Then used a silnylon Granite Gear pack cover (never had a problem with it like Garlic had though). May have been a little overkill, but my stuff never got wet and it really doesn't add very much weight.

BrianLe
02-13-2009, 14:18
The other point I can think of when this issue periodically resurfaces is that some folks (me included) like to use a backpacking poncho as their raingear and that sort of incorporates a pack cover (wear the poncho over the pack). Or a piece of gear called the Packa, a pack cover and a jacket marry and have this as their bastard child: http://www.thepacka.com

If in a fairly wet environment, I use a light pack liner (trash bag) in addition to the poncho, or at least I have a dedicated plastic bag around my down sleeping bag. If any reasonably high stream crossings are anticipated, then definitely a pack liner.

hikergirl1120
02-13-2009, 15:08
Doesn't Henry Shires have a poncho that also works as a pack cover and a tent??? Talk about killing 3 birds with one stone!

RememberYourZen
02-13-2009, 15:11
Doesn't Henry Shires have a poncho that also works as a pack cover and a tent??? Talk about killing 3 birds with one stone!

Haha, yeah I think I've read about that too!

Tinker
02-13-2009, 15:47
I use a poncho in warm weather and leave the pack cover at home. I use plastic bags (contractor trash bags and lawn and leaf bags are probably the strongest but tend to be bigger than a pack, but I think of them as potential emergency bivy sacks and ground mats under my hammock).
I have an REI pack cover which I bought last year, that came in a nice pocket that I now use for my camera on my shoulder strap.
The cover was waterproof until a few campfire sparks hit it. Duct tape to the rescue :D.

Jorel
02-13-2009, 15:48
skip the pack cover, and rain coat, and buy The Packa.

Tinker
02-13-2009, 15:55
skip the pack cover, and rain coat, and buy The Packa.

You'll still need something to protect your pack when it's too hot to wear the Packa (or in my case, a poncho). Liners are, at least, a backup for these conditions.

Cedar Tree
02-13-2009, 17:08
You'll still need something to protect your pack when it's too hot to wear the Packa (or in my case, a poncho). Liners are, at least, a backup for these conditions.

You can wear the Packa as a packcover only.
CT

optimator
02-13-2009, 17:12
I put my bag & clothes in plastic bags. And I use a packcover. Yeah it's a few extra ounces. But, even though a liner will keep your stuff inside dry, a soaked pack is a hell of alot heavier than the cover.

trippclark
02-13-2009, 17:42
Ive got a gregory baltoro 70 and have yet to purchase a pack cover. Found some cheaper ones online but was planning on just purchasing the 30 dollar sea to summit pack cover since I've had alot of success with their products.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of pack cover works best?

After less than accepable performance from a couple of pack covers, I purchased the Sea to Summit ultra-sil pack liner.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/5

It has worked well for me and appears durable. So far I have had nothing inside the liner to get wet, but I have not hiked in an extremely heavy, prolonged shower since using it.

BrianLe
02-14-2009, 14:30
"Doesn't Henry Shires have a poncho that also works as a pack cover and a tent???"

Henry Shires doesn't; perhaps you're thinking of the Gatewood Cape by six moon designs: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45

Or just any sort of poncho tarp. I use a Golite poncho as rain protection and tarp. I think MLD, Integral Designs, others have good poncho tarp options. Combine with a "bug bivy" by the likes of MLD or SMD and you've got a very light tent replacement that also gives you good rain protection (and yes, "backpack cover") during the day.

Red Hat
02-14-2009, 14:51
Wow, I never heard of the Gatewood Cape, but it looks awesome for ultralight. Poncho, tent, tarptent all in one at 11 ounces! Anyone here have one?

daddytwosticks
02-14-2009, 15:24
Red Hat...I received a Gatewood Cape for Christmas. Haven't used it yet but did set it up on our front porch to check it out (neighbors think there is something wrong with me...wife KNOWS there is something not right with me). Many here own/use GC's. Hopefully they'll give some real world feedback.