PDA

View Full Version : What to wear in VA in Feb/Mar?

Earl Grey
02-13-2009, 13:21
So I will likely be hiking SOBO through VA in a couple weeks. I anticipate it will get cold however I am not sure what to take on long distance cold hikes. For the upper half currently I have:

Smartwool beanie
Long sleeve wicking shirt
Patagonia micro puff vest
Marmot driclime jacket
Fleece jacket with hoodie
OR fleece mitts
Precip jacket

Lower half:
Capilene 1 long underwear
TNF paramount zip off pants
3 pairs wool socks
Wasatch GTX boots

I feel the upper half is good as long as it doesnt go below 0 and I stop for whatever reason. The lower half is my main area of concern. I was thinking about getting some fleece pants for warmth but maybe not. I do have some precip pants I could wear but I really hate wearing them. I do not think the Paramounts are windproof and neither the Capilenes either. What do you think?

Lead Dog
02-13-2009, 13:33
Temps are ususally between 20-50 degrees. Some night can be quite fridged. I camped last year and it got down to 8 degrees in late March. Also warm fronts can heat up during the day to 60 like today. I'd say your layers are fine. Using capaliene base and then zip off pants will do. Layers on the top to shed as you heat up walking. You can always add raingear over for wind break and to keep you warmth in if temps drop. Gloves and head gear are a must. Remember if it gets too cold you can always get in your sleeping bag early. :)

Tinker
02-13-2009, 13:33
I'm not familiar with the Capilene line, but I'd rather take 2 pair of long underwear bottoms than one and a pair of fleece pants. You can always double up on the poly bottoms if the need arises. The fleece would probably be too hot to hike in. Your zip off pants aren't entirely windproof, but they'll cut enough of the wind that you should stay warm enough hiking even without the long johns underneath unless the weather gets unseasonably cold (below 10 degrees this time of year) while hiking. It may get colder at night, but you'll have your sleeping bag to keep you warm.

Oh, one rule I observe without exception in cold weather - BRING A SECOND HAT. Usually I'll wear a beanie similar to yours but sometimes I'll change it out for an ultralight (silk weight) balaclava when the beanie gets too hot. That way, also, if you lose one you'll have a back up also.

Panzer1
02-13-2009, 14:01
I also like to bring a light weight base ball cap for hiking during the day when its sunny. Head gear is important. Keep the other hats too.
The OR fleece mitts look good but I would add a pair of fingerless gloves so you will be able to work while in camp and still have something on your hands.

Here's the average temps for the trail.
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.1025291/k.72A0/Average_Temperatures.htm

It looks like a average low of 21 and average high of 51. Remember, average means sometimes its higher than that, sometimes it lower.

You have 3 jackets, Marmot driclime jacket, Fleece jacket with hoodie and Precip jacket. Can you wear all three of these at the same time?
I know you can pair the Marmot precip janket and the marmot driclime jacket together with the precip jacket working as a rain/wind shell and the driclime working as a insulation layer. The fleece jacket might be a unnecessary duplication. Maybe you could replace the fleece jacket with another shirt to save some weight and space in your pack and be able to wear that shirt under the marmot jackets as part of a system.

Panzer

Earl Grey
02-18-2009, 00:21
Heres what I got now.

Smartwool beanie
polypro balaclava
long sleeve wicking shirt
duofold long sleeve compress shirt
midweight capilene long sleeve shirt
patagonia micropuff vest
marmot precip jacket
OR fleece mitts

(2) capilene long johns
paramount zip off pants

Should I take some precip pants I have?

Tinker
02-18-2009, 00:38
Should I take some precip pants I have?

Probably wouldn't hurt. Rain when the temperature is just above freezing can be the most dangerous weather (or just below freezing when it coats everything on the trail in ice).

Panzer1
02-18-2009, 01:08
Should I take some precip pants I have?Since your going to be hiking in cold weather I think it makes sense to have the marmot precip jacket and precip pants. If it rains or is cold and windy you will be protected.

(2) capilene long johnsI dont think you need 2 pairs of long johns.
If you bring one pair of long johns, you will still have the zip off pants to go over the long johns and the precip rain pants to go over the zip off pants. That will be 3 layers for your lower body which should be enough even if it rains and gets cold.

Panzer