PDA

View Full Version : Poop Etc.

charlottebronte
05-11-2004, 14:00
I have a book recommendation.....No, I'm not kidding. It's called "How to **** in the Woods," and it's a very practical guide. I borrowed it from the library. Should be required reading for anyone getting a wilderness permit.

Texas Dreamer
05-11-2004, 17:14
I leave it in my guest bathroom for reading material, along with "History of the Toilet", I always know someone is reading it by the laughter from behind the door!

Connie
06-27-2004, 17:33
The cat-hole is catching criticism, although a cat-hole is better than leaving poop on the surface, right ?

There is a good argument smearing poop out to dry in the sun is better, than a cat-hole where animals dig it up and if the cat-hole is deeper than the organic layer, it will not decompose.

I opt for cat-hole, if there is a deep organic layer, and for packing it out, if not.

I am planning to carry sealable dog-poop bags, if I know I hiking to high altitude or rocky places, but if I could get sufficiently off trail, and animals would certainly eat it, I would leave it right on the rocks.

Smearing seems, well, messy.

smokymtnsteve
06-27-2004, 17:42
ah the Kathleen Meyer's classic work on the subject of ****e..

just a thought on smearing .,.smearing is a technique that is best practiced in very dry enviorments..the southern appalachains receive much too much rainfall for this method to be of practical use here.