PDA

View Full Version : Leki Super Makalu ?

Downhill Trucker
02-13-2009, 14:59
I have a pair I think they may be a year or so old (they have the cortec grips). They have the anti-shock in them. Is there a way to disable this or better yet REMOVE the anti-shock system??

Ender
02-13-2009, 15:13
Not that I'm aware of.

You might want to look at Black Diamond poles instead. No anti-shock, and I personally like the tightening system a *lot* better.

sherrill
02-13-2009, 16:22
There's a generic pdf doc on Leki's website that explains how to turn the soft anti-shock off. Doesn't specify any pole but it might work if you want to try.

http://www.leki.com/Data/Documents/Fix%20It%20On%20the%20Spot.pdf

rusty075
02-13-2009, 16:36
Yes, that pdf is accurate to the Super Makalu's. Just pull the middle section away from the top handle section and you'll see the mechanism and how to turn it off. You really can't remove it entirely, as the spring is part of the locking mechanism.

sly dog
02-13-2009, 17:16
Not that I'm aware of.

You might want to look at Black Diamond poles instead. No anti-shock, and I personally like the tightening system a *lot* better.

Why do people do this? Like someone asking tent questions and get a hammock answer. He has year old poles, dont think he is lookin at new ones, its a question on the ones he has. P.S. Leki also sells non anti-shock ultralight poles too.

Rain Man
02-13-2009, 19:17
Why do people do this? Like someone asking tent questions and get a hammock answer. He has year old poles, dont think he is lookin at new ones, its a question on the ones he has. P.S. Leki also sells non anti-shock ultralight poles too.

VERY good question and one I often ask myself when I read such non-responsive responses.

Rain:sunMan

dmax
02-13-2009, 23:47
Mine, that are a couple of years older have three different settings. Non anti shock and two other settings. If I remember right, You have to compress the pole and turn. I will go out to my truck in a little bit and get mine and see if that is how it works.

dmax
02-14-2009, 01:17
Yep, thats how mine works. Grab the middle section and the top section and twist. Hopefully yours will work this way.

Downhill Trucker
02-16-2009, 05:42
Thanks dmax! It appears I can almost lock them out by compressing the system and twisting as you said. It appears mine have two distinct settings with the antishock and then another setting with little movement at all.

If anyone knows if I can remove the antishock I'm still interested in doing that.

Thank God I don't have to go out and buy a set of Black Diamond poles! ;-) I already have to return the Komperdells that were junk and replaced by the Lekis which had raving reviews and were 70 bucks. :-)

q-tip
02-16-2009, 06:45
Leki has a video on their website that shows how to turn the anti-shock on/off. I have had these for two years and don't feel too much anti-shock when I use them. The biggest problem with these is they don't lock consistently, have to pull out the pole section to tighten, kind of a drag.

buz
02-16-2009, 10:39
Zdank, I have these poles with the cork grips, and you have the correct information. I really like them, but the AS is gimmicky, but I have used it on long downhills, and believe it helps, but only then. I have a crappy "tennis elbow" problem, and the AS helps that on down hills, i think.

Like qtip, really frustrating when the poles won't lock on a random basis. Set up tent, readjust poles for tent height, lock them no problem. Next morning, readjust them for hiking, one won't lock, WTH. I can always get them locked, but sometimes have to disassemble and re do. Sometimes it is cleaning issue, but a hassle. And just like with computers, happens when you don't want it to, lol.

Powder River
02-16-2009, 23:28
I have these poles and like the others said, compress the pole and twist. If you are looking to remove them, you should call Leki and see if they are compatible with the lower section from a non-shock model.

GlazeDog
02-17-2009, 01:03
I work at an outfitter and show people how to do this all the time. It's very easy to do. What I do is pull the section of pole apart that has the anti-shock. Once out it is VERY EASY to see how the pole locks out. You'll see a metal knob in an "h" shaped slot. The long part of the "h" is the anti-shock, the short part of the "h" is not. You push the knob down the slotted channel--part way down, maybe 80% of the way--and slide it over through the gap. If the pole section is pulled apart you can see where the gap is-- because it's not at the very end of the slot, like I said 80% or so of the way down. Seeing the slots makes it real easy to do IMO.