PDA

View Full Version : Pre paid phone or pay phone for thru hike?

hallister
02-13-2009, 15:09
Yeah, what do you guys think would be a better choice- a pre-paid phone or just using a pay phone. I have a NOVA in case I get really hurt and there's no one to help, cause i'm hiking solo. Also, I wonder how efficient a pre-paid phone would be out in the woods...

snowhoe
02-13-2009, 15:14
I had a pre paid phone card and in some places there were connection fees that would drain my card so fast. But I just kept paying to to keep it going. It was a 1000 minute pre paid card got from walmart.

mlkelley
02-13-2009, 15:28
I had a pre-paid phone (Virginmobile) last year. Reception was terrible, almost never worked, even when in town. I started using a pre-paid calling card. Much lighter than a phone and charger as well. My experience was only from Springer to Catawba, so reception issues north of there might be better, I dunno.

Blissful
02-13-2009, 21:05
There are places on the trail with little or no pay phones. Not many areas, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are growing. They are taking them out right and left. Verizon cell worked pretty well for us (and I heard they bought out Alltell, which is our carrier, ad I was glad to hear that)

snowhoe
02-13-2009, 21:31
Blissful just read that the other day.

YoungMoose
02-13-2009, 22:01
pre paid phone is what i would get. those land lines that are the pay phones are very quickly getting outdated and arent working.

Tennessee Viking
02-13-2009, 22:45
Yeah, what do you guys think would be a better choice- a pre-paid phone or just using a pay phone. I have a NOVA in case I get really hurt and there's no one to help, cause i'm hiking solo. Also, I wonder how efficient a pre-paid phone would be out in the woods...
I head Virgin (off of Sprint), it was good for most highways and towns.

Alltel U was ok in bigger cities. Not good reception in the mountains.

Verizon Inpulse works very well on trail. Plus I think its the only towers close to the Smokies.

SGT Rock
02-13-2009, 22:47
Get a phone card and a cell phone. Don't expect the phone to work everywhere and don't expect a pay phone when you want or need it.

superman
02-13-2009, 22:48
I had no problem using a phone card at 2 cents per minute.

Lilred
02-14-2009, 17:05
I had no problem using a phone card at 2 cents per minute.

Ya, but how many minutes did they charge you just to dial the number? Some of those cards are a rip off. I read the fine print in one that said it cost 30 minutes just to dial.

Be careful what you get out there.

snowhoe
02-14-2009, 17:36
There you go lilred that is exactly what happend to me. Now we are on the same page:)

Tennessee Viking
02-14-2009, 20:23
Phone cards are good but sure you know the fees for some. Some will charge extra minutes used when calling from a pay phone.

superman
02-14-2009, 20:46
Ya, but how many minutes did they charge you just to dial the number? Some of those cards are a rip off. I read the fine print in one that said it cost 30 minutes just to dial.

You're right about being careful. The card that I used when I hiked the AT went out of business after the hike. The one I use now is so cheap that I use it at home if I expect to talk for a while. It's wicked cheaper than Fairpoint.:)

leprechaun
02-15-2009, 19:38

a lot of credit cards will work as a calling card, and they will sometimes be more straightforeward about fees. just ask your credit card company what they offer.

Tilly
02-15-2009, 21:00
I've lived off prepaid phone cards for years...until recently. The minutes you are docked for each phone call is completely insane. You can drain a 400 minute card with 6 or 7 5 minute calls...and God Forbid if an answering maching picks up.

I am still a landline person at home (still cheaper, at $20 a month than a cell) but I have a TracPhone for the car in winter and for when I'm traveling/backpacking. You will not always get coverage in the middle of nowhere, but they work well enough...and much cheaper at this point than calling cards.

freedompirate01
02-19-2009, 14:57
Is it possible to use a blackberry with prepaid?

boarstone
02-19-2009, 15:28
Most of this discussion has been in light of the fact the card is used "with a pay-phone".
What if used on a regular private phone i.e....at a Hostel/hotel etc.? Same deductions at the same rates?

Tilly
02-19-2009, 15:44
Most of this discussion has been in light of the fact the card is used "with a pay-phone".
What if used on a regular private phone i.e....at a Hostel/hotel etc.? Same deductions at the same rates?

If you use a calling card from a regular landline# these charges don't apply.

boarstone
02-19-2009, 15:57
thanks...

shelterbuilder
02-19-2009, 21:37
I've had a Trac-fone for years. They are more expensive than some other phones, but since they work off of whatever cell tower is closest, you WILL get reception in most places. Down in the "hollers", reception may be non-existant, but once you're up on the mountain tops, the phone should work. Trac-fone pre-paid cards are sold at many places, including Wal-mart. (No, I don't work for either company.:D)

Rain Man
02-20-2009, 12:04
Don't bother with a pre-paid card. Go to www.pennytalk.com or similar site and open an account. No need to carry a card.

Easy to open an account, easy to "re-charge" (parents can add money for you!), and easy to use by just punching in numbers. It's what we use so our exchange students can call home overseas, but it works just as well and CHEAP within the USA. As LilRed pointed out, there is a connection charge, but I think you get that on all of them.

And as a backup, you can use it when there's no cell service, but you can get to a landline.

Rain:sunMan

gonewalkabout
02-20-2009, 13:37
Don't bother with a pre-paid card. Go to www.pennytalk.com (http://www.pennytalk.com) or similar site and open an account. No need to carry a card.

Thanks. Unfortunetly they charge a 49 cent connection fee for very call even from a non pay phone landline.

Rain Man
02-20-2009, 17:30
Thanks. Unfortunetly they charge a 49 cent connection fee for very call even from a non pay phone landline.

So? If you use a pay phone to make a local call, it's 50 cents, so this is actually cheaper. And at one cent a minute in the USA, a 50-minute call home is less than a dollar.

And they are very up-front about it. It's on the home page of their web site. Compare that 50-minute call to a pre-paid cell phone at 10 or 15 cents per minute, plus a per-call connect charge!

I don't really see the problem.

gonewalkabout
03-02-2009, 22:50
So? If you use a pay phone to make a local call, it's 50 cents, so this is actually cheaper. And at one cent a minute in the USA, a 50-minute call home is less than a dollar.

And they are very up-front about it. It's on the home page of their web site. Compare that 50-minute call to a pre-paid cell phone at 10 or 15 cents per minute, plus a per-call connect charge!

I don't really see the problem.

Well I just looked again they have changed the terms. 49 cents for evey conection plus 99 cents a month plus a pay phone fee of 90cents. So use of a pay phone is $1.48 per call.

double d
03-03-2009, 01:54
Trac-phone is fine, I have been using that cell phone for about 2 years and have had no problems with reception (I've used on the AT and at Glacier National Park last summer). I bought the "lifetime double card", so if you buy 200 minutes, you just got 400. I paid 39.99 for it, but it was worth the dollars as I have saved alot of money with that 39.99 over the last two years. Good luck.

superman
03-03-2009, 08:11
I used Big Zoo during my AT hike in 2000. They went out of business later and this is what I've used since then. You don't pay the 50 cents to make a call from home or a motel room. I seldom use a pay phone but when I do it's more convenient to use the card than use change. I have no cell phone reception at all at my house.
http://www.telecomservices.net/services-products.htm