PDA

View Full Version : Radio Pro's...

slamajama
02-13-2009, 16:33
Im looking to bring a radio on my next hike (Ga-Va). Im looking at this...now my ques is, do i need shortwave capable? Should i be looking at something else?
thxs

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwave-radios/ccradio-swp.aspx

Slo-go'en
02-13-2009, 17:00
There's not much to hear on Shortwave anymore, though you can still stumble on some interesting stuff. Lots of religion. An XM radio might be worth while if you want to hear your type of music. Don't think I've seen anyone with a XM radio yet.

mister krabs
02-13-2009, 17:08
you don't need shortwave, but then again, you don't need a radio. If you like radio in the first place over digital music, then you would probably like shortwave. I like listening to the big propaganda stations in china, cuba, and russia. In the summer you'll also get radio netherlands which has great programming as well as all kinds of other cool stations from all over the world.

I hadn't seen that radio before, it looks pretty cool, and it's digital tuning which is key. I have a analog tuned grundig pe300 which is just OK, but a couple ounces lighter, 20$ cheaper, and available at radio shack.

freefall
02-13-2009, 17:12
An XM radio might be worth while if you want to hear your type of music. Don't think I've seen anyone with a XM radio yet.
I actually bought the first portable XM put out in 05 for hiking in 06. BUT the battery life was terrible and it used a special battery. It would have ultimately been too heavy and expensive. The new ones though could work out. Most have a record feature so you can playback recorded tracks later. So, one idea would be to record while in town/ have access to a power outlet then play the recording back while out on the trail- uses less battery than in "live" mode. Or get a small solar charger.
I ultimately carried a little Sony with AM/FM/TV/WX but I just did a quick look on their website and looks like its retired.

freefall
02-13-2009, 17:17
I ultimately carried a little Sony with AM/FM/TV/WX but I just did a quick look on their website and looks like its retired.

Dang, I need to re-up to get edit function back. I just found the radio I carried http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665363986 .
It worked really well along most of the trail.

MintakaCat
02-13-2009, 17:26
Over the past few years most of the international sortware broadcast stations have stopped their broadcast to North America because most people in the US can get their shortwave broadcast over the Internet.

I think the BBC dropped this service back around 2001 and a lot of other stations followed. You can still hear the BBC here in the US but it's weak.

slamajama
02-13-2009, 17:55
i guess reception is key in any purchase....wat do i look for in a unit that hasthe best reception..

hootyhoo
02-13-2009, 18:51
I like this one, but its too heavy

http://www.sangean.com/product.php?model=DT-400W&prod_id=56

I have a lager shortwave that used to carry. It got great reception in am sw, air traffic and weather. The fm reception was as could be expected - not great in remote areas.
My advice don't waste money on sw - nothing ever comes in and even it does it aint worth hearing.
Am /Fm are great - weather is a pretty good option.

hootyhoo
02-13-2009, 18:54
Dang, I need to re-up to get edit function back. I just found the radio I carried http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665363986 .

I just took one of those back to walmart last summer - i tried to use it here in town and the reception sucked. Not slammin your gear, but they may not make them very well anymore.

hopefulhiker
02-13-2009, 18:59

I carried that one too for a while....

mister krabs
02-13-2009, 19:00
I have to disagree with all the folks saying there's nothing to listen to. There may be far less than there used to be, but there's still lots out there. I regularly listen to WBCQ "the planet" out of maine, english language stations from cuba, china, taiwan, japan, russia and more. Radio havana has some of the best music programs on the air. Radio netherlands has really interesting social programs, and there's other cool things to listen to like number stations or radio estonia or vatican radio. It beats the heck out of clear channel and AAC FM radio. I even enjoy listening to the religious stuff, because they're mostly way out there crazy. In fact that's the best thing about shortwave, it's populated by the fringe, just like the trail!

MintakaCat
02-13-2009, 20:05
I like this one, but its too heavy

http://www.sangean.com/product.php?model=DT-400W&prod_id=56

If you got to have a SW radio, Sangean is a pretty good name to go with. A lot of Ham Radio operators like the Sangean name, including me. I've had a Sangean ATS 505 for some years now and I've been very impressed with it.

It's way too heavy for backpacking, but then again it was never designed for that.

freefall
02-13-2009, 20:15
I just took one of those back to walmart last summer - i tried to use it here in town and the reception sucked. Not slammin your gear, but they may not make them very well anymore.
I remember there being less choices down south as far as stations but that picked up in central VA.

Slo-go'en
02-13-2009, 20:29
In fact that's the best thing about shortwave, it's populated by the fringe, just like the trail!

I used to like to listen to what I called the "conspiracy radio" stations who went on and on about black helicopers, secret codes on the back of road signs and Rubby ridge. Some of the Holly Rollers can be amusing in small dosages.

The Sony AM/FM/WB/TV radio used to be real popular on the trail. Saw a lot of them. Seems like most have switched over to MP3 players these days, myself included.

Kanati
02-13-2009, 20:30
I carried a SONY Walkman AM/FM/weatherban with me last year and it was one of the best moves I made. It is light weight and uses a single AAA battery which last about 25-30 hours. It has a battery life indicator. On the occasions when I stayed in the shelters, primarily because of pouring down rain, that little radio made it possible for me to sleep because it drownded out the loud snoring. Just slip the ear phones on and sack out.

boarstone
02-13-2009, 20:52
Why? and Why? nature should be enough for you but if you insist....

hootyhoo
02-13-2009, 21:14
The DT 400 lists at 8 ounces on Amazon - only place I could find specs.
The DT 20vx lists at 3.6 ouces , but has similar size specs.
So if they basically the same size, why does one weigh more than the other?

ki0eh
02-13-2009, 21:18
there's other cool things to listen to like number stations

That thought just never occurred to me at all to listen to numbers in the backcountry. Maybe listening to the sexy lady read apparently random numbers would be a good thing at bedtime.

But one would have to be absorbed in the moment and not try to think that the message being secretly conveyed is to "fly airplanes into the White House next Tuesday".