PDA

View Full Version : Anodized Aluminum

hootyhoo
02-13-2009, 17:49
Is it worth extra money? I understand the process of sulfuric acid bath at low temps with the introduction of electrical current resulting in a non-toxic hardened surface, ect... And some claim that the result is a relatively non stick surface that cooks better. Cleaning must be done by hand with a mild soap and scrub sponge. No sand and gravel baths or dishwasher at the end of a trip.

I suppose with proper care it would last a lifetime. I have no experience with hard anodized - what do you think?

daddytwosticks
02-14-2009, 15:30
I think it works and looks cool...but does not have the ultimate coolness of titanium. Seriously, anodized aluminum works great and seems pretty durable.

mister krabs
02-14-2009, 15:36
I feel that the only benefit is that you can cook tomato sauce or other acidic foods in it without the food oxidizing the pot like it would do with un-anodized aluminum. Heat transfer is very similar. No problem scrubbing with whatever you want, the anodization is very hard.

I prefer it for pots but like un-anodized for skillets. (at home)

Vibe
02-14-2009, 17:46
Hard anodizing of aluminum is just a way of controlling the formation of aluminum oxide on the surface of the metal. Aluminum oxide is used in sandpaper, to give another example of how hard it is.

Wags
02-14-2009, 23:00
i use a gsi teapot made of this stuff. it's light, and sturdy, and wayyyyy cheaper than titanium. i just use it to boil water, so i can't comment on cooking on it. but i really like it (did i mention that it was $19?)

here's my little guy!
http://www.rei.com/product/768513

1 quart, 5.5 ozs

pot gripper included in that weight (only real drawback is it'd be tough to cook with over an open fire w/o burning the plastic on the handle off) :D

oops56
02-14-2009, 23:22
i use a gsi teapot made of this stuff. it's light, and sturdy, and wayyyyy cheaper than titanium. i just use it to boil water, so i can't comment on cooking on it. but i really like it (did i mention that it was $19?)

here's my little guy!
http://www.rei.com/product/768513

1 quart, 5.5 ozs

pot gripper included in that weight (only real drawback is it'd be tough to cook with over an open fire w/o burning the plastic on the handle off) :D

You no need a open fire just a bed of coals

Wags
02-14-2009, 23:26
true that oops. didn't even think about that. good call. i love my teapot. aluminum is the new titanium!

RockDoc
02-15-2009, 16:11
The new anodized aluminum pots are fantastic. Light, durable, and easy to clean.
I tried the $55 Evernew Ti pot and returned it to REI after one trip because it always burned food (using a canister stove). Horrible about developing hot spots and then impossible to clean; the REI guys nodded in agreement. It might be better if you're just boiling water using an alcohol stove but forget it for real cooking.

sarbar
02-15-2009, 18:28
They work great, clean easy. For the most part HAA is all I use :)

PS: Some HAA is lined with Teflon nowadays, but not all - so do read the box :)

le loupe
02-15-2009, 18:50
The new anodized aluminum pots are fantastic. Light, durable, and easy to clean.
I tried the $55 Evernew Ti pot and returned it to REI after one trip because it always burned food (using a canister stove). Horrible about developing hot spots and then impossible to clean; the REI guys nodded in agreement. It might be better if you're just boiling water using an alcohol stove but forget it for real cooking.

Would there be any damage to the anodized Ti finish if it was subject to cooking and an open flame?