PDA

View Full Version : Perfectly Calm

Tuna
02-13-2009, 18:01
There's less a month before I hit the trail and I feel perfectly calm. All my anxieties and worries - gear, money, critters etc - have gone. I actually feel like my completing my NOBO is a forgone conclusion.

Suddenly a thru-hike seems the most natural and simple thing in the world. All I've got to do is walk.

Does anyone else feel like this? Am I in a good headspace for a thru-hike, or should I be bouncing off the walls in anticipation?

Ramble~On
02-13-2009, 18:28
I have a little over a month and I am excited but quite calm and relaxed at the same time. I hike a lot- and year round but this is a "hike" and the freedom it provides is something I've yearned for since hiking in 1996.
I'm out of work and "free", care & worry free and liking it.
I am anxious to a degree and looking forward to it in a big way...but calm.
- I hope to bump into out there..enjoy your hike and the freedom it brings.

The closer your start date gets...the more likely you'll be to do some wall bouncing - I know I will.

Dogwood
02-14-2009, 00:21
There's less a month before I hit the trail and I feel perfectly calm. All my anxieties and worries - gear, money, critters etc - have gone. I actually feel like my completing my NOBO is a forgone conclusion.

Suddenly a thru-hike seems the most natural and simple thing in the world. All I've got to do is walk.

Does anyone else feel like this? Am I in a good headspace for a thru-hike, or should I be bouncing off the walls in anticipation?

U R in a great mental place. U R in a state of calm expectation. Reading and talking and visualizing it is one thing, now U got to execute. And, if U can actually be doing it w/ the place U R in now U will have a more enjoyable and deeper hike. Chunk it down into the moment and keep in the forefront of your thoughts why and how U R going to enjoy the hike w/ every step, day, and wk. A journey isn't just about a starting pt. and destination, it's more often than not, what happens in those many moments in between those places.

Stellbell3
02-14-2009, 00:39
I think you are in a PERFECT place.

I leave in about two months for my thru. I have had to "bring it down" a bit due to feeling nervous, overwhelmed etc. Really....... once April 15th comes for me, all I gotta do is walk, everything else will fall into place. I know that.

Enjoy the anticipation. Embrace it and enjoy your adventure!!!!!

and most of all HAVE FUN!!!!

Stell

Tin Man
02-14-2009, 00:57
sounds good to me. only 5,000,000 steps to go. stay healthy, stay strong and don't let the towns drag you down.

CrumbSnatcher
02-14-2009, 01:15
sounds good to me. only 5,000,000 steps to go. stay healthy, stay strong and don't let the towns drag you down.
you mean don't let the towns suck you in to long! the 5 million don't include all the extra steps in towns,sight seein',water trails and crappin'. you guys sound ready to roll,just remember to have a blast. most important thing is to remember to pack the mountain money:D

Tin Man
02-14-2009, 01:29
you mean don't let the towns suck you in to long! the 5 million don't include all the extra steps in towns,sight seein',water trails and crappin'. you guys sound ready to roll,just remember to have a blast. most important thing is to remember to pack the mountain money:D

yep... and if they miss a few white blazes in favor of blue, they will see more sights, for sure

Smile
02-14-2009, 06:56
That's an awesome place to be in, and I hope you have a terrific hike Sniggs :)

q-tip
02-14-2009, 08:11
I am leaving March 4th and the severe anxiety has been replaced with a more calm determination. I am still concerned about the physical component, but that will take care of itself. Just in case, I have prepared the walls for bouncing.....

Dyadya Tim
02-14-2009, 09:50
All the crazy stuff that ran through my head the last two months are coming into a calm and peaceful place in my head too. I'm leaving in a little over a month and while I am excited about my hike, I'm calm about all the stuff that had me going in circles. Sounds like you are right where your are supposed to be and I hope to see you out there having a great time and wonderful experience.

May your feet by steady and your legs swift. As you see the beauty around you may you find the beauty within.

Capt. Caveman