PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 65

Homer&Marje
02-13-2009, 20:18
Just got a great valentines gift from the wife.

Osprey Atmos 65. Size LG 4200 cubic inch (Way too much I think) but it's super light. And at first glance it's a winner. What problems have anyone had with it??

Jester2000
02-13-2009, 21:04
Used an Atmos 65 on the PCT this year. At the very end the two zippers on the back wouldn't always zip closed, but that may have more to do with how I abuse gear than anything else. Otherwise an awesome pack, and what I plan to use from now on.

Also, I talked to a rep for Osprey in Greenville, SC last weekend and he told me that Osprey now has a lifetime guarantee on its packs. So in the event of a catastrophic pack failure, they've got you covered.

Keep in mind that you can gain access to that empty space behind your back -- if you want to you can put your hydration system back there, or clothing, or what have you.

Enjoy the pack!

Montana Mac
02-13-2009, 21:25
That is the pack (med size) I have selected for my thru. The only downside that I have found is that if you put the hydration bladder between the main part of the pack and the mesh is that you water will be warm - even in cold weather.

Deadeye
02-13-2009, 21:39
Wait a minute... this is a fantastic gift from your wife and you're asking what's wrong with it?!?!?

Just say thank you, and count your blessings that your wife apparently encourages your habit.

Wheeler
02-13-2009, 21:42
Lot's of people, including myself, had one of the frame stay's break on Osprey pack's last year on the AT. Everyone got it fixed or replaced for free. In my case they replaced it (Aether 70) with no hassle. They had 'em give me one off the rack in Damascus. Anyway,that is one common problem with Osprey. I still love 'em and am gonna get a smaller one for the PCT.

Homer&Marje
02-13-2009, 22:06
Wait a minute... this is a fantastic gift from your wife and you're asking what's wrong with it?!?!?

Just say thank you, and count your blessings that your wife apparently encourages your habit.

Who.....Hold the horses. Supports my habit? Here's the pack I got her for her birthday in May. To support her habit?....I guess

So to make her husbands day after a tough busy season at my job she got me this before spring to say thank you for being the wonderful husband I am. I do cook 7 days a week and clean the house, and more but I don't need to blow smoke up my own backside.... my wife appreciates me.

Not to mention. MSRP is $239. She got it for $125. Not too shabby.

Smile
02-13-2009, 22:19
This is a wonderful gift, and sounds like a terrific relationship! What a nice way to be thoughtful of one another :)

Ender
02-14-2009, 01:07
I have the Atmos 50... basically the same thing just smaller. I love the pack... so far, nothing wrong with it. Only used it for about 150 miles of hiking so far though, so no long-term report yet.

Desert Reprobate
02-14-2009, 01:19

And pray she doesn't read WB

austinlowes17
02-14-2009, 03:51
I have the pack and love it. I haven't had a single problem with it. I am looking for something smaller though, perhaps a golite pinnacle. I'm really starting to appreciate ultralight backpacking, doing big miles feels great.

Homer&Marje
02-14-2009, 10:09
And pray she doesn't read WB

Don't worry. She could not care less for this web site. Thanks for the advice on the pack.

Thank you everyone that had a straight forward reply. I am going to go to EMS where it was bought because they will custom shape the straps to my body with a heat thingamajiggy the wife said. I'll report back and see how that goes.

Homer&Marje
02-14-2009, 14:40
Turns out I don't have the hip belt on my pack that gets heated and form fitted. Does not make a bit of difference to me. This hipbelt is much thinner and much more comfortable. I really like that it is drilled out to save weight with zippered mesh pockets on both sides, and not too far around back to access. Great pack, can't wait to go hiking with it.

Ekul
02-14-2009, 15:54
bought one from REI and put 40miles on it carrying 35lbs. lasted 30miles before the zippers on both outside pockets busted and my water bladder was always warm as mentioned above. The shoulder straps hurt like an sob after 2days. I took it back to REI and choose Gregory Baltoro 70. Im still a nub to backpacking and Im sure with lighter weight its a comfortable pack. Glad you and your wife get to share the woods and trail together. My wife detests hiking unless its a day hike and warm =( and Im carrying it all.

MintakaCat
02-15-2009, 09:56
I got the Osprey Atmos 65 last October and I've been very pleased with it. Never had any problems and I've really pushed it to its limit, both in terms of volume and weight.

mark schofield
02-15-2009, 14:31
I used one last year on 1 to 2 week section hikes on the AT (Ct and MA) and the LT. After I got use to packing it, which took some experimentation, it worked well for me. I met a few others using the same pack. About 1/2 would put their hydration sleeve on the outside between the mesh and the pack. I found using the sleeping bag lower opening a better place for my heavier stuff (food, stove). I could have used a medium. My torso is 20". Nothing broke on it. Mark S.