PDA

View Full Version : Stewart Hollow Brook Lean-to

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 11:13
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Stewart Hollow Brook Lean-to

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

DebW
10-21-2002, 09:13
The shelter was in good shape when we were there in June. A couple of nice tent sites nearby. Decent composting privy. And no mosquitoes at night. What more could you ask for?

poison_ivy
01-19-2003, 13:21
Stopped by the shelter during a dayhike yesterday... still in great shape, though the tent sites down the trail make for a prettier camp site. Cleaned up some junk left behind by others.

--Ivy

Trailjockey
10-04-2003, 20:25
Stayed the night on section hike. Reasonably quiet except for the river. It was running a little high from the two inches of rain that fell the day before. Needed some house cleaning. Apparently the previous occupants needed some leasons in trail manners. (No broom by-the-way)
Noted in the morning while packing that there were piles of sawdust on the exterior sides of the lean-to logs. Could be termites, carpenter ants or maybe powder post beetles. At any rate, I give one maybe two years before that lean-to is sawdust with a tin roof over it.
Sorry I couldn`t have better news!

2XL
04-03-2004, 17:54
Stopped by 03/25/04 found the shelter in OK condition. Something has been at work eating the ends of the logs, bugs of some sort. Looks like a chipmunk or squirrel has been using the hollowed out log for a home.
I did not stay in the shelter, but decided to sleep in my hammock at campsite#2. With no leaves on the trees I could see the headlights from cars on US7! The tent site are nice and level and roomy enough for 2-3 tents per spot. Good trees for hammocks too.
I was suprised that nobody had commented on the train tracks located across the river. I found out they are still in use, around midnight and then again around three am.! Wear your earplugs!

2XL

copythat
04-09-2004, 00:19
Stopped by 03/25/04 ... I was suprised that nobody had commented on the train tracks located across the river. I found out they are still in use, around midnight and then again around three am.! Wear your earplugs!
2XL

I thought they stopped running the trains near the Housatonic ... I guess not!

A-Train
04-09-2004, 20:54
This is a nice shelter in a pretty area, and I really love the Housatonic walk. 5miles of FLAT and beautiful walking. I'd recommend hitting it in the evening when the sun is low on the river, its awesome. Might also recommend Silver Hill Campsite, north of the shelter which is really nice, and has a swing and covered cooking porch. This whole area is a little gem on the AT.
Just be on the lookout for the shelter sign (stewart hollow) because it is sometimes hard to see in fading light. It branched off to the left if going NOBO and the turnoff is right away a stream crossing on a log which sometimes diverts peoples attention.

2XL
04-10-2004, 17:39
I thought they stopped running the trains near the Housatonic ... I guess not!
I stayed at Ten Mile River shelter on Thursday night and Wiley Shelter on Friday and could hear the Metro North train to the south and the freight train across the river! This is not a complaint, just an observation. Also met a class of 99 hiker by the name of Liverwurst. Nice Guy.

gsingjane
06-09-2005, 18:01
We stayed here June 6 (2005) and it was the worst overnighting experience I've ever had, hands down. Okay now to start out with it was MY BAD for bringing a tent with a broken zipper. Tried to save money, did it in the wrong place. Anyhow, we stayed at campsite #2 and after the sun went down, the MONSTER BUGS came out. Like something out of Japanese horror movie! They were centipedes or millipedes, about 2-2-1/2 inches long, with a hard brown carapace like a roach and two sets of mandibles up front. And they bit. They dropped down into our tent all night long and we stayed up all night long (after I felt the first one crawling up my back, a feeling that will stay with me always) fending them off. We could hardly wait to book out of there at first morning light.... has anybody else ever seen these critters? What the $%^#% are they? Some hikers we met going NOBO (we were SOBO) warned us about them so it wasn't just us seeing them. Oooooch oucccchhh I can't imagine spending the night in that shelter, at least in anything less than a bombproof tent.

Jane

p.s. My kids were GREAT about it and didn't freak out... we all came close tho....

The Snowman
06-26-2006, 20:08
A young black bear has taken to visiting the river road area in recent weeks. I would deffently suggest takeing precautions. I have personally seen the bear twice once by the lean-to and once by the campsite just north of there. This is as of sping 06.

Dingus Khan
05-20-2008, 16:36
shelter looked good. clean. no mice or bears seen/heard
privy is nasty, but that is the way they come.

wystiria
03-24-2009, 11:51
Stopped in for a break Saturday 3/21 everything was in good repair, shelter was clean and privy was in good condition.

lots of tent sites.

pnyberg
05-16-2015, 10:52
Stopped by here on May 5. Everything appeared to be in good shape.

I filmed a short video tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7QgHVX_ZtY

--Peter