PDA

View Full Version : Maps 3 & 4

GeneralLee10
02-13-2009, 20:26
I am planning on doing this section next from 331 to 85 just south of Crestview. I was wondering if any of you fellow FTA members have hiked this section. If so how many days did it take you? Was it hard to obtain the permits that are needed? Do any of you know of a shuttle service in this area also a safe place to leave my truck? I have not seen anything when I was working @ Eglin but thought I would ask you folks.

jnetx
02-13-2009, 21:22
Getting the permit was as easy as turning up at the base recreation office, watching a 20 minute video and handing over ID and $. We did all this about 2 weeks before we would actually be hiking in Eglin. By the time we got to the edge of the permit area to hike there were notices about the closures for the next month and we realized we only had two days to get through the area. We called the number they give you for for confirmation and were told we were clear to go but they did ask us to call and confirm we were out on the other side by the end of the second day.

Not sure about shuttles, but there is a taxi service in Crestview that is very hiker friendly. I think it is just called Crestview taxis, but can't swear to that, and I don't have my long distance guide handy. If I come across it in the next couple of days I'll post the name and number. We never used the taxi, but I had heard stories about some hikers that had, and knew the taxis by the fact that every time we were on a road in the area and the taxi passed us he would honk the horn and wave. :banana

Some nice hiking in that area, but be warned, if you get to the high water detour and it's been raining heavily to the north in the previous few days, you would be much better advised to just take the detour. Walking to the river to make the decision will cause a mile of backtrack if you decide you don't want to cross. If the water is up over the plank that means you have several miles of knee to thigh deep water to contend with, it's not just the river itself. The backtrack gem comes from me, the knee deep water info from a friend who was a few days behind and decided to take the wet route.;)

GeneralLee10
02-13-2009, 21:55
You know the funny thing is I have taken the EOD course many of times for work. You have to go thru that to? what do you think would happen if one was to hike with no permits just ID? I do like to live on the edge plus it would be kinda a rush hiding from the government on there land. Just a thought most likely wont do it without the permits.

jnetx
02-14-2009, 10:38
what's likely to happen? most likely nothing, because it is doubtful that you will even see anyone as you hike through. I actually hiked through without the permit in my possession because in the 2 weeks between obtaining it and using it I had forgotten which "safe place" I had stashed it in! :eek: (it turned up about 5 months later in a book).

However, if you don't have one and do see someone who cares about such things I would imagine the fine would be anything from expensive to an inconvenience, and being removed from the area would be a nuisance.

jnetx
02-14-2009, 13:31
there is a taxi service in Crestview that is very hiker friendly. I think it is just called Crestview taxis, but can't swear to that, and I don't have my long distance guide handy. If I come across it in the next couple of days I'll post the name and number. We never used the taxi, but I had heard stories about some hikers that had, and knew the taxis by the fact that every time we were on a road in the area and the taxi passed us he would honk the horn and wave.

Found my LD hiker guide and the Taxi company is indeed Crestview Taxi Co. 850.682.0007 - owner is Alvin, FTA member and shuttles for fee, helps with section hiking, etc.

BumpJumper
02-15-2009, 12:59
Hey J...Deb (texkitty) said to tell you hi. She is the gal that was with us at the Gathering.

jnetx
02-16-2009, 10:44
Hey J...Deb (texkitty) said to tell you hi.
Say Hi back, and tell her maybe someday I'll bet back up there to get my chair! :rolleyes:

BumpJumper
02-17-2009, 18:48
Holy crap. I forgot all about it or I would have got it the other day from her. I would probably see you before she does.

jnetx
02-18-2009, 12:38
Holy crap. I forgot all about it or I would have got it the other day from her. I would probably see you before she does.

Thanks, but I doubt it would make a difference, and it's only a $7 chair, not like I'm pining for it :cool:. Tell her if it's in the way just to toss it.

BumpJumper
02-20-2009, 18:14
Hell, she may not even remember herself.:D