PDA

View Full Version : Gaiters

TaxMan
02-13-2009, 22:50
WHY :-?-- what is there purpose and are they worth the weight and added sweating?

Tinker
02-13-2009, 22:54
Purpose - to keep stuff out of your shoes.
Worth it? Not to me.

Cabin Fever
02-13-2009, 23:12
Early summer mornings when there is dew on everything...worth it to me. Also very handy in snow.

generoll
02-13-2009, 23:17
gaiters are kinda like rain gear. I don't wear them all the time, but when I need I'm glad I have them.

snowhoe
02-13-2009, 23:37
Great in the snow, but a pain. I have a love hate relationship with them. I bought some rain paints from REI that have a little clip on the bottom of the front so you can hook the bottom of the pants to your shoe stings works pretty good.

q-tip
02-14-2009, 08:06
I am using heavy Asolo 520 leather boots due to severe ankle problems, the added weight for the gaiters, not worth it for me but I did find them especially helpful in Montana hiking in rain and mud.

generoll
02-14-2009, 08:14
not worth it for me but I did find them especially helpful in Montana hiking in rain and mud.

Huh? so which is it?

boarstone
02-14-2009, 08:21
...see the above title...I left my response for your post in there, I got in the wrong one...:o And I really don't want to repeat myself.. lol.....

Rcarver
02-14-2009, 08:54
I mainly use OR Rocky Mtn lows. I can't stand getting rocks and sticks in my shoes. Plus they help to keep my socks cleaner. They are uncoated, so not very hot.

wystiria
02-16-2009, 14:39
in the new england mud they are worth their weight!

1azarus
02-16-2009, 14:44
... a really light pair, like www.dirtygirlgaiters.com, isn't so painful to carry, and is handy for help with mud, snow, and my favorite blight: deer ticks. i use mont bell gaitors year round.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 14:46
I mainly use OR Rocky Mtn lows. I can't stand getting rocks and sticks in my shoes. Plus they help to keep my socks cleaner. They are uncoated, so not very hot.
I have a pair, too.
They ARE hot, just, as you said, not VERY (emphasis mine). :)

Tinker
02-16-2009, 14:52
Worth it? Not to me.

Please allow me to add that, for long hikes, they won't keep water out of your socks unless you wear rainpants that cover the gaiters and both the gaiters and your boots are waterproof (Goretex sweat monsters).
I use gaiters Outdoor Research Crocodiles) and like them IN THE WINTER ONLY, FOR SNOW, with heavy, crampon compatible boots.
Other than that, the first reply stands.
Now if someone would make some very fine mesh (like the mesh used on support hose) gaiters, I'd be willing to try them out to keep the sand out of my trail runners. The problem here is that most trail runners don't have a separate heel, so the straps or cords running under the shoe won't last too long due to abrasion.

Blissful
02-16-2009, 16:07
Worth it? Not to me.

That about sums it up for me.

And not worth possible additonal blister issue either.

hootyhoo
02-16-2009, 16:45
My myog gaiters were super simple to make - I think there is a pic in my gallery. They weigh .75 ounces for the pair. These are for when I wear my Keen Targhee II's. It keeps water from running in the top of my waterproof boots. Good idea. But when I wear running shoes I do not wear them. I know they keep will rocks a debris out of my running shoes - but that haas never been a real issue for me. And in the snow they are a necessity for me. I hate post holing and getting my socks wet and my boots filled with snow.
I use them, they work, they are sweaty in warmer temps.

CherrypieScout
02-16-2009, 19:03
I wear gaiters everyday - keeps the rocks n sticks out of my boots. Low cut version. gortex
Don't seem hot to me

bigcranky
02-16-2009, 19:06
WHY :-?-- what is there purpose and are they worth the weight and added sweating?

Haven't you already answered your own question? And in a particularly in-your-face way?

If you don't like gaiters, here's an idea: don't wear them!

Or, like me, you might wear them when it's muddy, or snowy, or in heavy cold rain, and then they are definitely worth the weight.

hopefulhiker
02-16-2009, 19:09
I really liked the OR short gaitors..especially with trailrunners. They do help keep scree out of your shoes and they keep your feet clean and to a lesser extent they can keep your feet dry. They little ones only weigh a few oz.. There are silnylon ones gaitors too which are lighter...

Don't really need the long ones on the AT. But if I was trail blazing I would use them.