PDA

View Full Version : For younger People

YoungMoose
02-13-2009, 23:16
I think whiteblaze should create another category just for younger people. i have talking with many younger people around my age up to 18 and they feel like they cant relate. I will help write things and everything. I am trying to get this reconized so everyone post and write what they think:-?:-?:-?

Tinker
02-13-2009, 23:20
Well I'm an immature old fart, does that count? :D

It sounds like a worthwhile idea to me, as long as it's understood that folks of any age can read posts and offer advice. Young people should feel free to tell us fossils to take a flying leap, however. :)

YoungMoose
02-13-2009, 23:22
lol

YoungMoose
02-13-2009, 23:23
yeah anyone can write there and look there.

YoungMoose
02-13-2009, 23:23
well not anyone can write there. i want kids to start hte post and older people can answer them. but anyone can look

Tinker
02-13-2009, 23:27
MODERATORS- Are you listening?

snowhoe
02-13-2009, 23:31
How many younger people are on here? Outwardbound you are the only one I know of. But I dont really pay to much attention. I didnt even know you age until the other day:)

RememberYourZen
02-13-2009, 23:49
I'd post in there, it'd be a cool way to talk and meet younger people.

Not that I don't enjoy the wise old advice from you seasoned vets!

Feral Bill
02-14-2009, 00:05
OBBP's posts seem plenty mature enough for the regular forums. Maybe more like him will join in with their own space.

johnnybgood
02-14-2009, 01:11
If you have a question or just want to talk to someone younger just start a thread like this one.

Marta
02-14-2009, 07:20
Speaking as a moderator, it's a fair amount of trouble to start, maintain, and police a new forum. And, as we've seen in the women's forum, there appears to be a lot of resentment, suppressed and otherwise, that "those people" have their own forum and the rest of us are excluded. So, as others have said, starting threads looking for other hikers in your subset is the way to go for now. If there get to be too many threads for that special subset, then a new forum will probably be set up, and maybe even a new website--Hammock Forums comes to mind.

Egads
02-14-2009, 08:37
I think whiteblaze should create another category just for younger people. i have talking with many younger people around my age up to 18 and they feel like they cant relate.

I am struggling with the comment that you and other young people can't relate. Most topics on WhiteBlaze are about gear, trails, techniques, trip reports, & hooking up. What is the barrier that someone under 18 can't get past and relate to? Whiteblaze is not Myspace or Facebook (Thank God) You can start your own thread(s) to cover new topics if you choose.

Let's keep WB as is.

BTW, I am just a few weeks away from officially becoming an old fart:datz

simon
02-14-2009, 09:03
Don't kids already have blogs? Why do they need space here when all they have to do is join in by asking a question or making a comment.

btw: at what age do you become this old fart you speak of?

Egads
02-14-2009, 09:04

DDuhon
02-14-2009, 10:06
Are there 20 under 20 on this site? That would sound like a forum quarum to me--speak up if you are there. I think the fact that this need cannot be seen by some, speaks to the need--young folks need their own kind and speak of their own things in their own way, we need to welcome and support.

superman
02-14-2009, 10:11

I keep moving the old fart age ahead of me as I age. It was my intention to stay young but one day I looked in the mirror and didn't recognize the face that looked back at me. I hiked the AT with an older hiker who used to say "the aging process doesn't treat us all equaly." Those words aren't appreciated until you get there. Then all you can do is laugh and say "damn." I didn't expect to live to see 20....it's all gravy now but "damn.":)

Red Hat
02-14-2009, 10:15
I think whiteblaze should create another category just for younger people. i have talking with many younger people around my age up to 18 and they feel like they cant relate. I will help write things and everything. I am trying to get this reconized so everyone post and write what they think:-?:-?:-?

I agree that young people need to have a forum in which to share. However, I would be concerned about safety of any of you meeting up with someone from online. You may think you are just meeting another hiker, but it could be a predator. I would say no pms or emails for those under 18. And no posting of any specifics for hiking....

buff_jeff
02-14-2009, 12:15
What constitutes young? I'm 21, but I'm a tiddly bit slow.:confused:

buff_jeff
02-14-2009, 12:17
I agree that young people need to have a forum in which to share. However, I would be concerned about safety of any of you meeting up with someone from online. You may think you are just meeting another hiker, but it could be a predator. I would say no pms or emails for those under 18. And no posting of any specifics for hiking....

Yeah, you know what they say, 18 year olds are really 50 year olds on the internet and "girl" stands for guy in real life.

johnnybgood
02-14-2009, 12:46
48 today . Still feel the same as I did yesterday.:p

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2009, 12:58
I have to admit that I'm having a bit of trouble grasping why any particular age group needs their own forum. While I understand that teens/young adults may want to communicate amongst their own peer group, it would be very difficult if not impossible to keep it segregated on an internet forum.

Should we also have a forum for geriatric hikers?

And how about for those with disabilities?

I think the good thing about hiking, skiing, golf, and other activities is that they tend to cut across gender, age boundries, generations, and abilities. One of the nicer things about living in a rural area is that I tend to participate in activities with everyone from teens though those on SS. It tends to open you up to different perspectives. Iactually think we need to talk to each other more--not less.

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 13:27
I understand everyone is saying its hard to keep the predators away and stuff. And yes i do have a facebook. But htats not good enough. everyone i know thinks im a little strange for like hiking. this site is meant for it and is well known for hiking. i have talked to 4 people around my age and they all agreed that there should be a younger group section. I understand it would be hard to keep it segregated but i think if we let everyone know that its just for younger people. i would think that people would respect that. I was already approched by a guy on this regualr forum if we want to meet up. i said no way. i think kids would use their judgement nevertheless their common sense not to meet up with other people. i would want this just so kids can talk to other people their age. The only person i talk to about backpacking is my parents and my therapist. yes i have a therapist becuase i feel like i dont fit in anywhere. Therefore that is the main reason why i would want to make this forum. i will moderate it everyday if no one else is wanting too. I dont care. I feel like if kids can meet other people with the same interests i would be willing to support that. last summer i went to outward bound. I had the best time of my life ever. I was able to relate to other kids that were interested into backpacking. Many kids dont have a chance to dothat because of the money factor. therefore that why we should do this.

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 13:36
I have to admit that I'm having a bit of trouble grasping why any particular age group needs their own forum. While I understand that teens/young adults may want to communicate amongst their own peer group, it would be very difficult if not impossible to keep it segregated on an internet forum.

Should we also have a forum for geriatric hikers?

And how about for those with disabilities?

I think the good thing about hiking, skiing, golf, and other activities is that they tend to cut across gender, age boundries, generations, and abilities. One of the nicer things about living in a rural area is that I tend to participate in activities with everyone from teens though those on SS. It tends to open you up to different perspectives. Iactually think we need to talk to each other more--not less.its not the same becuase i feel sometimes that people dont even listen to me when i post becuase their like oh hes 14 what doe she know.

buff_jeff
02-14-2009, 13:46
its not the same becuase i feel sometimes that people dont even listen to me when i post becuase their like oh hes 14 what doe she know.

It's the other way around for me. Who needs to listen to the old farts, anyway? :p

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 13:48
It's the other way around for me. Who needs to listen to the old farts, anyway? :phehe:D

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 13:48
to make people feel better how about 21 and under can make posts in the forum. but anyone can respond to it.

streakerofAT
02-14-2009, 14:07
i agree with outward im 14. we go to the same school I agree that we need a seperate forum. You guys said come forward. i came forward

Lone Wolf
02-14-2009, 14:11
start a new website

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 14:14
were

Lone Wolf
02-14-2009, 14:16
were what?

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2009, 14:18
to make people feel better how about 21 and under can make posts in the forum. but anyone can respond to it.

Should we then make an "adult swim"(not the TV show) rule that only those over 21 can make original posts in other forums?

Serious question: Exactly how many different distinct issues particular only to those hikers under 21 years old are there? It's not like gear, itinerary, or the mechanics of hiking are any different.

bullseye
02-14-2009, 14:28
[quote=Outwardboundbackpack;779432] I was already approched by a guy on this regualr forum if we want to meet up. i said no way. quote]

Approached in the wrong way?:confused: If so that's a bigger problem than what this thread is about:mad:!!!

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 14:30
Should we then make an "adult swim"(not the TV show) rule that only those over 21 can make original posts in other forums?

Serious question: Exactly how many different distinct issues particular only to those hikers under 21 years old are there? It's not like gear, itinerary, or the mechanics of hiking are any different.no we shouldnt becuase most of the poeple are over 21 on here. its easier to realte to them. this forum would make it easier to lets kids to relatre to eachother

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 14:31
[quote=Outwardboundbackpack;779432] I was already approched by a guy on this regualr forum if we want to meet up. i said no way. quote]

Approached in the wrong way?:confused: If so that's a bigger problem than what this thread is about:mad:!!!all the guys said was that do u want to go to the white mountian and hike with me. i never even talked to the guy before then

Red Hat
02-14-2009, 14:35
Exactly what I mean... even if you had talked to him for days, you wouldn't know if he was a predator or not. Major cause for concern!

mtnkngxt
02-14-2009, 14:38
Outward you should take that issue up with a mod. I've been reading whiteblaze since I was 17. Never had an issue relating to others here. I would be concerned that by giving juveniles their own forum, it would make some less careful than yourself targets. This is a large forum with active members and then lurkers. I would be concerned about the lurkers. I'm big on liability concerns, and I believe this would constitute a huge liability concern. If god forbid something was to happen to a child because they hooked up with or met someone "from the internet" to hike with and it went bad there could be alot of fall out. I'd say that if you have already connected with others here that you start a thread in the Straight Forward area and post your questions and replies there. It is already heavily moderated, which would help keep the thread straight forward. We're smelly hiker trash, don't worry none of us fit in when we were younger, once you get on the trail you'll just be like every other guy.

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2009, 14:41
My biggest concern would be that it might likely lead to exactly what we don't want want to happen, and that is adults impersonating teens/young adults for whatever reasons--and there are a lot of them that concern me. Having a dedicated forum would be like painting a big bulleye on all of you.

daddytwosticks
02-14-2009, 14:45
Hey wait a minute! I want a separate space for 50+ y.o. guys who are overweight and right-handed! I can't relate to younger, fit guys who are left handed! Ain't diversity great? The problem with society is that when you start catering to one group, you better be ready to cater to other groups. WE ARE ALL HIKERS...THIS IS A HIKER FORUM....LEAVE IT AT THAT! Have a nice day. :)

Frick Frack
02-14-2009, 14:49
I think White Blaze should have a seperate forum for us southerners :p

I think WB should be for hikers and the Appalachian Trail regardless of age, sex, race, religion. Just like the hiking....keep it simple. My $.02 worth.

Egads
02-14-2009, 15:09
48 today . Still feel the same as I did yesterday.:p

Happy Birthday:banana

Linesman
02-14-2009, 15:21
Serious question: Exactly how many different distinct issues particular only to those hikers under 21 years old are there? It's not like gear, itinerary, or the mechanics of hiking are any different.
Sorry outward but even as a 16 year old i have to agree with this.

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2009, 15:26
For any number of reasons, I 'd have to say this is not a good idea, at least not here at WB, where the moderators and site administrators have enough worries, without adding liability issues to the mix.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with younger hikers getting together elsewhere to talk, perhaps on facebook or somewhere similar.

4eyedbuzzard
02-14-2009, 15:35
Just so ya all know, I'm not trying to completely knock the idea as I understand why younger hikers would want to talk amomst themselves. But I'm also trying to think outloud on some of the negative aspects of this idea as well, as there are also some pretty good reasons for NOT doing it--as have been brought up in several posts here.

Ekul
02-14-2009, 15:42
if it doesnt make sense to an old fart it prolly doesnt make sense. WB is an excellent site as is!

Blissful
02-14-2009, 16:02
For any number of reasons, I 'd have to say this is not a good idea, at least not here at WB, where the moderators and site administrators have enough worries, without adding liability issues to the mix.

But there's certainly nothing wrong with younger hikers getting together elsewhere to talk, perhaps on facebook or somewhere similar.

Yes

I also agree with Red Hat- you do have to be careful of predators out there - there are slimes amuck. Hate to think there are ones like that lurking on WB, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Meanwhile have fun here and don't take take things personally. If you really want to thru hike the AT, you'll have a better chance of succeeding by listening to the advice of those who have been there (even if they are a bit older and nastier). And look elsewhere for that age-related fellowship which I know is important. Maybe find out here who would like a forum and seek advice on where you can go to chat. :)

DaSchwartz
02-14-2009, 16:16
I'm older but I see why college and high school aged people would want a forum to discuss things among themselves.

Egads
02-14-2009, 17:03
I'm older but I see why college and high school aged people would want a forum to discuss things among themselves.

Agree, so start a thread...

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 18:01
ok i understand that there is a problem with predators. but i think thats its just as easy to find a younger age kid on the regular forums. I know there are programs that allow you to anomonize your location as well as anything else out here. im goign to put this onto a poll and see what you guys say yes or no. http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46632

streakerofAT
02-14-2009, 18:03
Linesman. wouldnt you think that it would be nice to converse with people at the same age group. I understand we would talk about the same thing but it would be different becuase You can relate to what the other teens are saying

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 18:04
Linesman. wouldnt you think that it would be nice to converse with people at the same age group. I understand we would talk about the same thing but it would be different becuase You can relate to what the other teens are sayingI agree

kythruhiker
02-14-2009, 19:44
I'm not sure why you'd need a new forum on Whiteblaze to talk to folks in your own age group. I see no reason to segregate the forums any further, nor give the moderators more work to do. As has been mentioned, it could also open the blaze up to more liability due to Internet predator issues.

I'd suggest opening your own teen backpacking site up if you think the demand is there....or a Facebook club, or PMs through Whiteblaze, or a Yahoo group, etc..

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 20:04
just created a facebook group for teens. heres the linkhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=52191855901&ref=mf

RedneckRye
02-14-2009, 20:29
If younger folks aren't able to interact with older folks on-line, what happens when they actually disconnect from the digital world and actually start walking on-trail?

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 20:31
Im not saying they cant. And nothing will happen if they disconnect from their digital world. I dont have a ipod and i only use a computer for hiking and stuff like that. But alot kids do think a phone is their life. yet its not. Im not saying that they wont be able to Interact with older folks.

buff_jeff
02-14-2009, 20:33
If younger folks aren't able to interact with older folks on-line, what happens when they actually disconnect from the digital world and actually start walking on-trail?

Non sequitur. We have an all-female forum. It doesn't mean they can't interact with men. Or, wait...maybe it does. :p

RedneckRye
02-14-2009, 20:42
If I can use your own words, this seems to be exactly what you're saying ........ "Im not saying they cant. And nothing will happen if they disconnect from their digital world. I dont have a ipod and i only use a computer for hiking and stuff like that. But alot kids do think a phone is their life. yet its not. Im not saying that they wont be able to Interact with older folks."

just Created A Facebook Group For Teens. Heres The Linkhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=52191855901&ref=mf

no We Shouldnt Becuase Most Of The Poeple Are Over 21 On Here. Its Easier To Realte To Them. This Forum Would Make It Easier To Lets Kids To Relatre To Eachother

i Think Whiteblaze Should Create Another Category Just For Younger People. I Have Talking With Many Younger People Around My Age Up To 18 And They Feel Like They Cant Relate. I Will Help Write Things And Everything. I Am Trying To Get This Reconized So Everyone Post And Write What They Think:-?:-?:-?

Also, What Is With The Capital Letters? Some Kind Of Secret Code For The Young'uns?

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 20:50
The facebook is categroized as the hiking and getting to meet more people. The capital letters is just a habbit lol. I hate when i do it. i try not to but it happens

Skidsteer
02-14-2009, 21:21
I hope this doesn't have anything to do with my comment the other day about 14 year old clothing from Wal-Mart.:D

I was only joking around friend. I feel like we already have too many divisions in this life to go looking for more.

buff_jeff
02-14-2009, 21:23
I hope this doesn't have anything to do with my comment the other day about 14 year old clothing from Wal-Mart.:D

I was only joking around friend. I feel like we already have too many divisions in this life to go looking for more.

We can't trust anybody over 30!

That is, until you turn 30. Then we'll make it 40!

Egads
02-14-2009, 21:54
...What Is With The Capital Letters? Some Kind Of Secret Code For The Young'uns?

This generation knows how to hit keys incredibly fast, but hasn't learned to spell.

Teachers are too concerned about people's self esteem to make corrections anymore:-?

Notice those red lines under the words? It means they are misspelled.

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 21:55

I was only joking around friend. I feel like we already have too many divisions in this life to go looking for more.lol i dont even know what ur talking about.

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 21:56
This generation knows how to hit keys incredibly fast, but hasn't learned to spell.

Teachers are too concerned about people's self esteem to make corrections anymore:-?

Notice those red lines under the words? It means they are misspelled.what i want to say to you right now is extremely unlike me as well as not appropriate for this website. So im not going to say it. U can use your mind of what i would of said

mtnkngxt
02-14-2009, 22:23
LMAO lay off the energy drinks. Correct me if I'm wrong. Your Thru is planned for 2013 which would make you around 18 or your senior summer. This is a common time for people to complete their thru. Yet you want to have a subforum for younger people to discuss the logistics for doing a Thru hike. This makes no sense to me. If you planning on doing it at 18, sense would tell me that you should be planning your trip as if you were an 18yr old. This would mean that you would not need a seperate sub forum to discuss completing a thru at a younger age.

So until then you would like information on gear that you will undoubtedly outgrow. In your question about the Argon pack from Osprey you asked for opinions then insisted you were right about what you needed. If you ask you should atleast listen to what others have to say. I tried to suggest you look at ULA as they are just as sturdy as Osprey, plus they are lighter.

This is one of the most helpful places on the web to get information about hiking the AT and many of the other Long Trails. The womens forum (sorry girls) is a pain. Other than feminine hygiene issues and safety issues there really isn't anything that is going to be significantly different between men and women. We hike the same trail, sleep in the same shelters, and resupply in the same places. There just isn't a demand on this site for a seperate forum for young thru hikers, because in most cases it doesn't happen very often.

TD55
02-14-2009, 22:34
LMAO lay off the energy drinks. Correct me if I'm wrong. Your Thru is planned for 2013 which would make you around 18 or your senior summer. This is a common time for people to complete their thru. Yet you want to have a subforum for younger people to discuss the logistics for doing a Thru hike. This makes no sense to me. If you planning on doing it at 18, sense would tell me that you should be planning your trip as if you were an 18yr old. This would mean that you would not need a seperate sub forum to discuss completing a thru at a younger age.

So until then you would like information on gear that you will undoubtedly outgrow. In your question about the Argon pack from Osprey you asked for opinions then insisted you were right about what you needed. If you ask you should atleast listen to what others have to say. I tried to suggest you look at ULA as they are just as sturdy as Osprey, plus they are lighter.

This is one of the most helpful places on the web to get information about hiking the AT and many of the other Long Trails. The womens forum (sorry girls) is a pain. Other than feminine hygiene issues and safety issues there really isn't anything that is going to be significantly different between men and women. We hike the same trail, sleep in the same shelters, and resupply in the same places. There just isn't a demand on this site for a seperate forum for young thru hikers, because in most cases it doesn't happen very often.

Ya, but maybe if there was a thread for only younger people they wouldn't have to hear a bunch of lectures and crap from old folks. They probably get enough of that already.

Egads
02-14-2009, 22:34
Nothing personal. Frankly, I struggle with spelling & grammar. Making a donation to WB has made me much smarter (I have the power to edit bad posts).

Please feel free to ask questions about the trail, gear, hygiene, techniques, training, etc...I'll do my best to answer them, as will most here at WB.

buff_jeff
02-14-2009, 22:38
Ya, but maybe if there was a thread for only younger people they wouldn't have to hear a bunch of lectures and crap from old folks. They probably get enough of that already.

Hey, I just noticed you're from Rehobeth. My folks have a place in Bethany. I've been going down there my whole life. You doing any kayaking?

Gray Blazer
02-14-2009, 23:01
I think Barney has a website.

Hooch
02-14-2009, 23:10
I think Barney has a website.Unfortunately, he does (http://www.barneyfrank.net/). Sad but true. Waiting for this post to get zapped in 3........2.......1.......

TD55
02-14-2009, 23:16
Hey, I just noticed you're from Rehobeth. My folks have a place in Bethany. I've been going down there my whole life. You doing any kayaking?
Not for a long time, but this sure is a great place for it. HMM, maybe I should get back into it. Gonna go see if Walmart sells 'em.

theinfamousj
02-14-2009, 23:25
its not the same becuase i feel sometimes that people dont even listen to me when i post becuase their like oh hes 14 what doe she know.

Oh, it isn't about your age. Sometimes people on WB don't listen to each other. Period. Usually it is because you have a different opinion. But they won't tell you that. Instead they'll pick out the easiest-to-find characteristic about you (your age) and blame it on that.

Heck, WB is filled with people picking "internet fights". :cool:

But we all still respect each other, nonetheless. And from what I've seen, you get tons of respect.

theinfamousj
02-14-2009, 23:30
just created a facebook group for teens. heres the linkhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=52191855901&ref=mf

Sounds like the problem is solved. Moderators? What say you?

Bearpaw
02-14-2009, 23:43
Sounds like the problem is solved. Moderators? What say you?

I say excellent initiative OBBP! :clap

take-a-knee
02-14-2009, 23:48

What do you need to come to WB for anyway, why can't you just text one of your knucklehead friends, you guys already know everything anyway, who the hell needs a bunch of old farts.

Gumbi
02-15-2009, 01:12
Ya, but maybe if there was a thread for only younger people they wouldn't have to hear a bunch of lectures and crap from old folks.

What else is there to talk about?:D

Egads
02-15-2009, 02:23
You kids have got it too damn easy. When I was a kid we had to hike 30 miles in the snow, uphill both directions, with real gear, none of this synthetic plastic crap that's made in China:rolleyes:

calculating infinity
02-15-2009, 02:32
im 20

mtnkngxt
02-15-2009, 03:16
I still walk uphill.

sbennett
02-15-2009, 03:27
What do you need to come to WB for anyway, why can't you just text one of your knucklehead friends, you guys already know everything anyway, who the hell needs a bunch of old farts.

easy there grumpy oldster, the kid is just posing some ideas and has just as much right to be here as you....

Marta
02-15-2009, 07:27
I'm going to put forth the idea that the content of any given post is more important than the age (or gender) of the poster.

Ridiculous, I know. Forget I said anything. Sorry.

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2009, 09:00
I'm going to put forth the idea...
Forget I said anything. Sorry.

Did you say something?;):D

Marta
02-15-2009, 09:07
Did you say something?;):D

Don't listen to me. I'm just a silly old woman.;)

Hikerhead
02-15-2009, 10:53
What else is there to talk about?:D

Zits? :D

dixicritter
02-15-2009, 12:51
I'm really late to this thread... sorry don't check in much anymore. However the issue reguarding age can easily be solved by hiding your age from your posts in your UserCP. Then folks won't see it on every post you make and "judge" you by your age as you feel they do. Problem solved.

Hopefully the younger crowd will just jump in like everyone else and just enjoy the site. :)

DDuhon
02-15-2009, 13:05
Seems like this is a question or respect rather than segregation, and it seems like the answer being given is go to facebook. ok...

Gray Blazer
02-15-2009, 13:31
I'm going to put forth the idea that the content of any given post is more important than the age (or gender) of the poster.

Ridiculous, I know. Forget I said anything. Sorry.

You're kinda like the female hiker version of MLK, JR. Good on ya!

theinfamousj
02-15-2009, 13:32
Seems like this is a question or respect rather than segregation, and it seems like the answer being given is go to facebook. ok...

Not Facebook due to disrespect, but Facebook because that company has preditor-monitors on staff. We are worried for the safety of those who are the prime age to be preyed upon and know that the moderators here are overworked as it is.

We have encouraged youth (and I think I'd count as youth, depending on whether the cutoff is teens or 20s) to stay here and continue to post. But a whole youth forum to a predator is like shooting fish in a barrel.

Egads
02-15-2009, 14:16
I think the whole issue is OBBackpack hit the teen years and wants to expand his domain. dixiecritter is 100% correct, that hiding the age from others levels the field a little more. There will always be the inequities of experiences, and freedom, and finances.

YoungMoose
02-15-2009, 14:28

This is one of the most helpful places on the web to get information about hiking the AT and many of the other Long Trails. The womens forum (sorry girls) is a pain. Other than feminine hygiene issues and safety issues there really isn't anything that is going to be significantly different between men and women. We hike the same trail, sleep in the same shelters, and resupply in the same places. There just isn't a demand on this site for a seperate forum for young thru hikers, because in most cases it doesn't happen very often.i want this forum to be made so kids who are waiting for when they can thru hike can talk. like me i have to wait for 4 years

YoungMoose
02-15-2009, 14:33
What do you need to come to WB for anyway, why can't you just text one of your knucklehead friends, you guys already know everything anyway, who the hell needs a bunch of old farts.Too bad i dont have a phone and i dont want one. So Stop being so stereotypical. Also why would i be putting this idea forth if i can talk to people my age about hiking and stuff. I can becuase no one in my school except for streakerOftheAT goes hiking. Take a chill pill

YoungMoose
02-15-2009, 14:36
also mtnkngxt I am only going to grow another 2 inches from what the doctors say. im 6'1 and they say im going to be 6'3. Therefore I wont outgrow my stuff

yappy
02-15-2009, 15:01
whatever happens, I think it is cool that you are taking a stand on this and say you will organize it. heck, there aren't that many 14 yr olds willing to do all that. Kudos to you for wanting to be a leader. Eventually, if you stick with your interest, this trail will be in your hands, not ours.

YoungMoose
02-15-2009, 19:32
Thanks

JumpInTheLake
02-15-2009, 21:25
BTW, I am just a few weeks away from officially becoming an old fart:datz

When does one become an old fart?

kythruhiker
02-15-2009, 21:27

When your dreams get dryer and your farts get wetter? :eek:

Skidsteer
02-15-2009, 22:21

When you realize "I really don't want to die before I get old".

Egads
02-15-2009, 22:25

When your dreams get dryer and your farts get wetter? :eek:

funny & true

Lilred
02-16-2009, 00:46
One of the best bumper stickers I've ever seen. "The older I get, the older old gets"

OBBP, I used to have a Hiking Club when I taught high school, and I had a good dozen or so students really interested. We went on quite a few hikes, and even one overnighter. You may find more than one other person interested in hiking at your school, unless it's a small school. Maybe you could get a teacher to sponsor a hiking club?

alaska moose
02-20-2009, 20:44
I agree

I agree too !!

Spider
02-21-2009, 08:37
Sounds like a good idea. I'm 16.

Frau
02-21-2009, 08:54
I agree on the 'no pms or emails'. My daughter was stalked online by someone who lived 3/4 mile from my work place. He even attempted blackmail, but I trotted the printout straight to the police chief. The man's wife worked in my school system!!

Some may blast me, but we can't be too careful. This site is wonderful, but we must be vigilant.

(Mind you, I am VERY HAPPY to be able to get lost in this ADULT site, after being surrounded by teens all day!)

Frau

WalkinHome
02-21-2009, 10:51
I have been involved with this group in Maine. Might be something you could wrap your head around or adapt to your wishes. Good group.
http://www.teenstotrails.org/about_t3.html

Frau
02-22-2009, 07:44
Seems like several teens have chimed in. That should give OBBP hiking friends with whom he can chat.

Fr.

Nicksaari
02-22-2009, 16:54
Im more of a kid than OBBP, and im twenty six. haha.
i wish i had been backpacking when i was a teenager, but i was way to busy surfing and having a blast back home. if i had only knew what lay westward in Va, but the timing was superb.

Kirby
02-23-2009, 10:09
It's up to us young ones to give the older ones a reality check.

Besides, who else is going to tell Lone Wolf he's a grumpy old fart?

Most of the good advice I've received has come from the older members anyway.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2009, 10:13
Besides, who else is going to tell Lone Wolf he's a grumpy old fart

i resemble that remark

Rockhound
02-23-2009, 10:44
AARP card holders are not supposed to be on this thread LW. It's for young hikers.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2009, 10:56
AARP card holders are not supposed to be on this thread LW. It's for young hikers.

then what's your old ass doin' here?

Sly
02-23-2009, 11:35
no we shouldnt becuase most of the poeple are over 21 on here. its easier to realte to them. this forum would make it easier to lets kids to relatre to eachother

Before you start a youth forum for hiking you should start a spelling forum. :p

sly dog
02-23-2009, 11:52
Give us some examples of stuff you would need to direct twards younger hikers. Like others said, info on this site is for gear,food,miles, and the such. That is what this website is for, if you need to talk to kids your own age, use your facebook or myspace sites. Age never matters on topics that are covered here so age shouldn't be a concern.

Heater
02-23-2009, 12:20
Never trust anyone over 30.

buff_jeff
02-23-2009, 21:45
Never trust anyone over 30.

Until you are 30, then it's 40. :p

slow
02-23-2009, 23:18
I think it would be good ,to have the young.

Ekul
02-24-2009, 00:08
Before you start a youth forum for hiking you should start a spelling forum. :p

AH be nice hes prolly gov school eduemcated:p