PDA

View Full Version : Not Sure What To Think

dmax
02-14-2009, 01:43
Today I was leaving Laurel Falls and took the blue blaze out to the parking lot by Hampton. I was with two other friends from work just out day hiking. At the last spot we stopped at, Bob, noticed a strange character behind us. He told me this after we got going again. The man stopped while we took our break and started hiking again right after we did. On the way out, I would glace back and I could see him behind us. We made it to the parking lot and had some water. About 10 mins. later he came out of the woods. He was wearing a black leather sombraro, a black leather trench coat, blue geans with black leather chaps, and black boots. When he went by we noticed he had a Huge bowie knife hanging off of his side. We were glad he kept going. He turned on the hwy and headed towards wautaga.

Has anybody else run into people like this on the trail?

Cabin Fever
02-14-2009, 02:06
Yikes! I maintain that section. Never seen anybody like that before. People are strange. You never know why they are out there. He could have been a normal person out for a walk with strange fashion and thought he needed a Rambo knife for protection. That still doesn't explain the stalking though.

I will take note of this next time I go up there...which may be tommorrow.

dmax
02-14-2009, 02:14
It would have been kinda spooky had I been by myself. We first noticed him where the trail leaves the water for the last time. I was going to go up and tell Bob at Kincora, incase he had heard anything, but I forgot. I even drove by his place twice after our hike. We parked a vehicle at each end. I also noticed broken window glass in the lower parking lot when we got there.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2009, 06:49
Today I was leaving Laurel Falls and took the blue blaze out to the parking lot by Hampton. I was with two other friends from work just out day hiking. At the last spot we stopped at, Bob, noticed a strange character behind us. He told me this after we got going again. The man stopped while we took our break and started hiking again right after we did. On the way out, I would glace back and I could see him behind us. We made it to the parking lot and had some water. About 10 mins. later he came out of the woods. He was wearing a black leather sombraro, a black leather trench coat, blue geans with black leather chaps, and black boots. When he went by we noticed he had a Huge bowie knife hanging off of his side. We were glad he kept going. He turned on the hwy and headed towards wautaga.

sure. all the time. just colorful locals

Egads
02-14-2009, 08:42
Did you hear any banjos?

SGT Rock
02-14-2009, 08:52
I've run into that sort of thing too. I'm still alive.

My theory on this - Occasionally you see people that haven't found the internet so they don't know to ask about tripe before going out - but somehow they do hear about these great places up in the mountains they need to go to. So using their imagination and favorite movies as guides they get all outfitted for a Jeremiah Johnson style trip. But then they find out when they get there it is 2009 even in the hills.

Sometimes you see these people in the Smokies.

SGT Rock
02-14-2009, 09:45
I gotta amend my last post a little. I give the internet too much creedit in cutting down on this sort of thing. Some sites may convince you that you need snake bit kits, heavy boots, survival knife, pistol, and GPS/SPOT/PLB on any trip to the mountains.

Shadowmoss
02-14-2009, 10:03
If/when I hike alone, it would not be uncommon of me to hang back from a group. Just as you don't know his intentions, he didn't know yours. Especially if he was feeling out of his element anyway, he might have just wanted to be somewhat close to people, but not being sure of what kind of reception he would have he might not have wanted to actually join up or pass you. Also, he might have decided that you guys looked suspicious and he was more comfortable with you being in front of him in the woods rather than behind him. :) On his message boards he might be posting about the bunch of yahoos he ran into out there that he kept an eye on till he was sure they were back at the parking lot ok, and wondered if they had anything to do with the broken glass...

Lone Wolf
02-14-2009, 10:18
Some sites may convince you that you need snake bit kits, heavy boots, survival knife, pistol, and GPS/SPOT/PLB on any trip to the mountains.

and some sites may convince you that you need leki poles, water filters, bear bags, cell phones, etc. on a trip to the mountains

Hoop Time
02-14-2009, 10:24
and some sites may convince you that you need leki poles, water filters, bear bags, cell phones, etc. on a trip to the mountains

Wait ... you saying we don't actually need the cell phone? How will Domino's know where and when to deliver my pizza?

yaduck9
02-14-2009, 11:57

Yes, it is hard to tell who is worse, inexperienced folk with vivid imaginations or outdoor marketers. :D

buff_jeff
02-14-2009, 12:12
There was a group of kids at Mountain Harbour B&B this summer, and one of them had a trench coat, cowboy boots and a huge ass Indian Jones whip. I think he might have been wearing a wizard hat, too. It didn't scare me, but I couldn't stop laughing everytime I looked at him.

SGT Rock
02-14-2009, 12:12

Or nalgene bottles

Hooch
02-14-2009, 12:19
and some sites may convince you that you need leki poles, water filters, bear bags, cell phones, etc. on a trip to the mountainsOr sleep in shelters.

Tinker
02-14-2009, 12:20
That incident reminds me of the guy Jeff Alt called "The Creep" in his book "A Walk for Sunshine". He and his hiking buddy were followed by this guy after they ran into him sitting by the side of the trail holdig a large stick. Alt asked what the stick was for, and the guy said "For hitting". Alt and his buddy didn't stick around to find out what (or who) the guy intended to hit. They camped beyond the next shelter (apparantly where "The Creep" stayed that night) and hightailed it out to the road the next morning where they reported him to authorities.
You should do the same, if you haven't. Some folks get a rush by freaking others out. If his intentions were (are) more sinister you may just save someone's life.

Correction: After looking at Jeff Alt's book again, I realized that the guy I thought he called "The Creep" actually had a trail name-
"SPONGE"
Sponge had written dates of his section hikes in some of the shelter registers. One of the dates, 1996, he had done the Shenandoah section, the same year that two young women were brutally killed there. Alt never says in his book whether it was a coincidence or not.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2009, 12:40
Jermiama Johnson? I can't spell it. I read those sites too, they are a hoot, won't post there though.

On a recent trip in the woods I found I was being followed by a non hiker, at some point he was making too much "bush" noise, snapping twigs etc. So I doubled back to pass him on a known to me animal/horse loop. As I passed he pretended to look into the woods so I would not see his face, but I recognized Billy instantly. Scary local - Yup. Three time DUI had left him without transportation. Twice incarcerated for petty theft such as underwear, at the local mall. Heavy into drugs, and just plain weird and rude. A guy who clearly didn't finish all of high school. He couldn't hold a job if it was given to him. Well liked by some folk. If I hadn't recognized him I would have snapped a pic on my cell phone.

Clearly the most dangerous animal on the trail isn't snakes, bears, or cougars, its ourselves.

Tinker
02-14-2009, 13:05
That incident reminds me of the guy Jeff Alt called "The Creep" in his book "A Walk for Sunshine". He and his hiking buddy were followed by this guy after they ran into him sitting by the side of the trail holdig a large stick. Alt asked what the stick was for, and the guy said "For hitting". Alt and his buddy didn't stick around to find out what (or who) the guy intended to hit. They camped beyond the next shelter (apparantly where "The Creep" stayed that night) and hightailed it out to the road the next morning where they reported him to authorities.
You should do the same, if you haven't. Some folks get a rush by freaking others out. If his intentions were (are) more sinister you may just save someone's life.

Correction: After looking at Jeff Alt's book again, I realized that the guy I thought he called "The Creep" actually had a trail name-
"SPONGE"
Sponge had written dates of his section hikes in some of the shelter registers. One of the dates, 1996, he had done the Shenandoah section, the same year that two young women were brutally killed there. Alt never says in his book whether it was a coincidence or not.

Read Correction above. SPOOKY!!!!!:eek:

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 13:42
sure. All The Time. Just Colorful Locals:d

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2009, 13:43
Wait ... you saying we don't actually need the cell phone? How will Domino's know where and when to deliver my pizza?

You can laugh, last year there was a Rich kid Texas style cow drive reality show on TV. The purpose was to drum some sense into the arrogant rich kids and they hadn't taken the phones away yet, on the second day one of the kids didn't like the pork & beans for dinner and called Domino's to deliver in a four wheel drive to a GPS location, dinner for everyone for $500! Dominos did it.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2009, 13:45
Are you saying the person in the beginning of the thread is Sponge or is Sponge someone else?

Tinker
02-14-2009, 13:48
Are you saying the person in the beginning of the thread is Sponge or is Sponge someone else?
Sponge is the one I mistakenly identified as "The Jerk".
Of course, there may be more than one "Sponge" out there.
Jeff Alt did his thru in 1998.

1Pint
02-14-2009, 13:49
If/when I hike alone, it would not be uncommon of me to hang back from a group. Just as you don't know his intentions, he didn't know yours. Especially if he was feeling out of his element anyway, he might have just wanted to be somewhat close to people, but not being sure of what kind of reception he would have he might not have wanted to actually join up or pass you. Also, he might have decided that you guys looked suspicious and he was more comfortable with you being in front of him in the woods rather than behind him. :) On his message boards he might be posting about the bunch of yahoos he ran into out there that he kept an eye on till he was sure they were back at the parking lot ok, and wondered if they had anything to do with the broken glass...

As a solo female hiker, I sometimes do the same but from a farther distance back. I prefer the group ahead of me not know I'm there for my own safety and I won't pass until I've sized them up and feel comfortable.

atraildreamer
02-14-2009, 13:50
I gotta amend my last post a little. I give the internet too much creedit in cutting down on this sort of thing. Some sites may convince you that you need snake bit kits, heavy boots, survival knife, pistol, and GPS/SPOT/PLB on any trip to the mountains.

I would add a M79 grenade launcher for bear protection and a flame thrower for fire starting. (can you get your hands on any of this stuff Rock? :confused: )

Tinker
02-14-2009, 13:58
Sponge is the one I mistakenly identified as "The Jerk".
Of course, there may be more than one "Sponge" out there.
Jeff Alt did his thru in 1998.

I noticed that we have a "Sponge" registered to this forum.

The "Sponge" in Jeff Alt's book was described as having "red hair and a deep tan darker than your average beach bum".

calculating infinity
02-15-2009, 02:41
theres a bunch of weirdos around where i live. i was out just the other day and was followed by a really creepy guy who kept snapping his fingers, i high-tailed it out of there.

jrwiesz
02-15-2009, 04:59

best to read backpacker magazine prior to an such foolishness, they'll set you straight

Marta
02-15-2009, 09:06
There was a group of kids at Mountain Harbour B&B this summer, and one of them had a trench coat, cowboy boots and a huge ass Indian Jones whip. I think he might have been wearing a wizard hat, too. It didn't scare me, but I couldn't stop laughing everytime I looked at him.

When I was alone in the Shenandoah NP, there were two kids, one of who was all costumed up--duster, cowboy hat pulled low over his eyes, bandana around the neck, etc. I was a bit unnerved.

When they showed up at the shelter that night, I talked to them. College kids from Texas, on a fall hiking break. Very excited about the snow. Called me "ma'am." Nice boys.

joec
02-16-2009, 13:35
The reason I always carry bear spray is not for fear of bears, it is the lone weirdo that may stumble along.

hoz
02-16-2009, 13:56
Wow, what a bunch of paranoid elitists we are. He dressed differently, and carried a big knife. THAT automatically made him a threat?

Why didn't you speak to him?

hoz
02-16-2009, 14:10
I remember once on a solo camping trip the Leonid's were due on a certain evening. I made sure to camp that night on a lake that offered a wide view of the sky.

It so happens a group of teenyboppers had hiked in to the same lake that evening.

After dark I walked down to a wide spot and sat to enjoy the show. A couple of the teenies saw me sitting there and ran back to their camp whispering about the "weirdo" sitting alone down at the lake.

If one of them would have come to me and asked I would have been happy to turn them on to one of natures most spectacular light shows. As it was they stayed by the campfire, paranoid and ignorant.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 14:21
I remember once on a solo camping trip the Leonid's were due on a certain evening. I made sure to camp that night on a lake that offered a wide view of the sky.

It so happens a group of teenyboppers had hiked in to the same lake that evening.

After dark I walked down to a wide spot and sat to enjoy the show. A couple of the teenies saw me sitting there and ran back to their camp whispering about the "weirdo" sitting alone down at the lake.

If one of them would have come to me and asked I would have been happy to turn them on to one of natures most spectacular light shows. As it was they stayed by the campfire, paranoid and ignorant.

What if they were your kids and you were the folks back at camp?
In the company of strangers you are the only one who knows who you are.

hoz
02-16-2009, 15:51
What if they were your kids and you were the folks back at camp?
In the company of strangers you are the only one who knows who you are.

There were no "folks back at camp" these weren't "kids" more like 17-19.

hootyhoo
02-16-2009, 16:10
I was heading up to Double Spring Gap shelter and I heard this gawd awful argument break out on the trail below me. They were really going at it. I went a little way and stopped for a break and to get a look at these two. After a while one of them came around the corner- saw me and darted back around the corner. He was wearing a big rimmed leather hat, a leather trench coat and leather pants. My only thought was spending the night with these two in the shelter was gonna suck. I got to the shelter - wisely picked my spot and anxiously waited for them to show up. About an hour later a man showed up alone. It was the guy that saw me on the trail and ran. We talked - he was alone all day. So heres what I figure - he was alone having a crazy rant with himself and it sounded like two folks arguing. He told me some really creepy stuff about women and living with his mom - he was about 40. He also said he had been to medical school and lots of other unbelievable stuff. It was well past dark, about 15 degrees and he had no gear. I was afraid he was planning to spend the night eating my flesh and sleeping in my bag.
It was really creepy. But at about 9:00pm he said he had to go and spun around and left. I got my swiss army knife out and sat there for another couple hours waiting for him to sneak back in and kill me. He never came back and I have no idea where he went.

Blissful
02-16-2009, 16:15
There was a guy out in '07 - in camo pants, black t shirt, army boots, huge knife hanging from his belt and a tiny backpack and he walked like he was angry about something. A little discomforting.

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2009, 16:16
There are some crazy *****s out there.

dmax
02-16-2009, 17:00
I gave the man a nod when he approached from out of the woods. I might have said something to him if not for the huge knife. We didn't notice the knife until he was right up on us. We were glad he kept on walking. One of the guys in our group swears that was the grim reaper. That was the first thing he mentioned today at work.

Sometimes it's best not to make conversation with people who rub you wrong. I've read on WB that sometimes your best defence is right between your ears.

yappy
02-16-2009, 17:26
you got that right Dmax, listen to your own instincts not anyone elses' I met a guy in 89.. I can't remember which shelter but in Ga. We got to talking. i was alone others down at the water. he was creepy looking, eyes never resting on anything. he said he was just outta jail and was learning to " live outta a pack " then he said his was too heavy so he starting ripping up his sleeping bag and scattering the insides around the shelter. I am like OK then ! he said it was either that or the 40 cans of tuna he had. That was ALL the guy was carrying. I am being all polite thru this... nodding pleasantly trying not to spook this person. We got outta there when the others came back. I have had a few other strange and quite frankly scary things happen out there.

pythonathiker
02-16-2009, 19:54
Dirigo, Zero (13-year old German shepherd), and I went on a short out-and-back hike on the AT in PA yesterday. When we arrived at the parking lot on PA 645 there were already 2 pickup trucks there. One pickup truck was empty but the other truck was occupied by a middle-aged white guy who was smoking and looking at a magazine.

As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, he started to intently watch all of us. He didn't even pretend to read his magazine anymore. He watched as Dirogo got the dog out of the back of the truck and put on Zero's coat and hiking pack.

While Dirigo was getting the dog ready, I walked around the parking lot so that I could see his license plate. Unfortunately, he had no front plate and I could not see the back plate. I tried to take a picture of his truck with Dirigo's camera phone but I must have done something wrong because there was no picture. I then walked back to Dirigo's truck and he kept watching both of us.

Once the dog was all ready to hike, I looked at Dirigo and said that I wanted to leave because it did not feel safe here. Dirigo agreed so we loaded the dog back into the truck and left. This guy was really creepy!

Fortunately, this creep did not ruin our day. We drove to the parking lot at 501 and did a short hike.

mtnkngxt
02-16-2009, 20:09
You have to remember we are in the Appalachian Mountains, and we raise some interesting folks around these parts. Guy next door to me looks like a serial killer, but is the nicest old guy you'd ever meet. Plays the Harmonica better than anything I've ever heard, and sits out front and picks on an old Gibson Acoustic guitar all day enjoying his retirement.

Few days back I did run into a weird guy about 38-40 around Wise shelter. What made me concerned is he kept asking if I knew anyone selling any guns because he couldnt buy from a store because he had a record. Then he asked me what I though horse meat would taste like. I honestly started laughing couldn't help it. I set up my hammock put the compact pistol I was carrying in my hammock pocket and slept like a baby. He sat around a fire up at the shelter till probably 1am and then passed out inside the shelter. Woke up the next morning and he was boiling water mumbling to himself about something or another concerning food. I was headed back to the trail head and left him some packs of Oatmeal. Was he creepy hell right he was, was I worried, not for a second.

Seriously though a .380ACP compact ruger fits nicely into pack belt pockets. Thats all I'm saying.The way I look at it I'd feel more comfortable if every able bodied man and woman carried a gun everywhere they went.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2009, 20:11
yup

yappy
02-16-2009, 20:28
i don't have a gun and have never had one. i shot one a couple of times i think. it was kinda fun actually. about knocked me on my butt ! You are right, most folks ARE really terrific but if your instincts are telling you to get out of an area, listen to them. they will normally not let you down and may save your life.

SGT Rock
02-16-2009, 20:32
On the other hand (about the instincts).

I was in GA. Just did about 10 miles and was sitting by a creek relaxing and getting some water. Three hikers come up the trail from the gap - two women and a guy. They stop short and start staring at me. Then they do a group huddle and point at me a few times. Finally the girls hang back while the guy comes up to interrogate me. I tell him what is going on and then move out so my presence doesn't continue to bother their "instincts".

So sometimes your instincts cause you to treat a normal person like a creep too.

yappy
02-16-2009, 20:39
yeah, I am sure that is true. I rarely get strange feelings from someone so if I do I tend to listen. I have had some bad things happen to me growing up in the Virgin Islands. I was stalked by some nut for 2 weeks and also had a gun pointed at my head while I was walking. that guy wanted me to get in the car. I learned to listen. I trust myslef.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 20:41
From mtnkngxt:
I set up my hammock put the compact pistol I was carrying in my hammock pocket and slept like a baby.

No gun of any caliber will protect you while you sleep - false security.
While you're awake, you have a valid point, however. If you suspect the intentions of someone you've met on the trail and you have a partner, you'd almost have to sleep in shifts to ensure that you'll wake up in the morning.

theinfamousj
02-16-2009, 20:48
On the trail, I have met people who looked (by looks alone) like they'd spook me. Only, I usually met them because they were coming up upon me and called out a cheery, "Hello," which led to a conversation, laughs, and even some shared hiking time.

If I were approaching someone, I'd do the same of calling out a cheery greeting.

If someone is stalking me - that is being up to five paces behind me and not making their presence known - then I start getting a bit creeped out. Though the two times that has ever happened, I was in civilization.

I know that it takes a brave person in good spirits to greet everyone they overtake on the trail, but if you are out hiking shouldn't that mean you are in good spirits?

yappy
02-16-2009, 20:54
I greet everyone I meet on the trail.. is AFTERWARD that things can get spooky. I am always up for a good hello..:)

dmax
02-16-2009, 20:56
I keep my good spirits in my pack till I'm done hiking for the day!:D

JumpInTheLake
02-16-2009, 21:18
At the last spot we stopped at, Bob, noticed a strange character behind us.

Is this the Bob you speak of?

http://www.freebase.com/api/trans/image_thumb//guid/9202a8c04000641f8000000004a96502?maxheight=560&mode=fit&maxwidth=280

hoz
02-16-2009, 21:36
Fortunately, this creep did not ruin our day.

No but you probably ruined HIS. Walking suriptiously around the lot taking pictures of his truck while your buddy acted like he was getting the dog ready for a hike.

THEN YOU LEAVE...

TrippinBTM
02-16-2009, 21:38
They camped beyond the next shelter (apparantly where "The Creep" stayed that night) and hightailed it out to the road the next morning where they reported him to authorities.
You should do the same, if you haven't.

Really? I need to report anyone who isn't "normal" to the authorities? What is this, the Soviet Union? Some people are a little weird in the head, but that doesn't automatically make them a threat OR a criminal.

Seems we moderns are afraid of more than we should be. Our "instincts" are often hardly that; they're Hollywood-ized stereotypes lurking in our subconscious minds. Lots of people out there outfit themselved in Army surplus stores (I work in one, so I've seen it) so they sometimes have that aggressive "commando" look. Plus, as SGT (I think it was him) said, people go out there thinking they need to be Jeramiah Johnson or Rambo, so they not only have the non-GoreTex clothes, but go way overboard on the knives and stuff. Some people are broke and just go out there in what they have that they think is tough clothing for the wilderness, trenchcoat and all.

And some people are just weird. Maybe a little crazy, or maybe just different. Not saying you should be all buddy-buddy with the mumbling guy with a twitch and a giant knife, but maybe you don't need to call the cops either.

hoz
02-16-2009, 21:47
If I were approaching someone, I'd do the same of calling out a cheery greeting.

I know that it takes a brave person in good spirits to greet everyone they overtake on the trail, but if you are out hiking shouldn't that mean you are in good spirits?

Good on ya, my kind of girl. A smile and a "Hi, how's it goin?" doesn't cost anything. And it could lead to an interesting exchange or to an inkling whether or not you SHOULD be paranoid.

I guess, what this thread means, is unless you are out hiking the AT in "Hikerous Nylonious" attire, with "trail runners" on your feet and a pack of 15 lbs or less, no one will talk to you and, in fact, will be afraid of your presence.

My, my, my what has this world come to?

mtnkngxt
02-16-2009, 21:55
Tinker your right about the sleeping, but the same thing could happen in your house while you sleep. No one can be constantly vigilant 24 hours a day. Noticed I said he passed out at the shelter around 1am. I was up until I was certain he had turned in for the night. We ate dinner together and never did he pull out a large knife to cut his food nor did he have any obvious weapons when he dumped his pack on the shelter floor to find his ear muffs. I sat up and read a book listening to the coyotes around the shelter, and when I went to answer natures call he was sawing logs snoring. I went back to my hammock and got some sleep. Woke up at about 10am and he was there talking to himself. Chances are he was just an old coot looking to stir me up. If he had wanted to kill or harm me he could have tried, and fate would have told the story. Instead I repacked my pistol packed my pack and headed home safe well rested and with another day of this beautiful country in my memory.

A man tried to kidnap me in a shopping mall when I was six. Scared me so bad I wouldn't leave the house for weeks. After awhile I got over it, and to this day I am very aware of my surroundings. I also carry a pistol with me open carried when at all possible. I also carry concealed on occassion when I hike. I'm comfortable with myself and my surroundings enough to take the risk of walking in the woods.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 22:04
You're absolutely right. No one can expect to be completely safe from harm ever. But, as you and I agree, we take our chances when we decide what we will do with our lives. Hiking has been one of the most life-giving activities I've ever done, and I will continue to do it as long as it remains that way for me. The fact that you pack is quite understandable given the attempted abduction at a young age that you refer to. The saddest thing is that we want to trust everyone, but we know we can't. So we do what we can to survive - we view strangers with mistrust until we know they can be trusted. Goes for all walks of life. Take our formerly "trustworthy" bank CEO's. I wouldn't blame folks if they took all their savings out of their bank. I'm tempted to do it myself, but that would only lead to more economic problems for our country.
So we cross our fingers, say our prayers, do our best and hope against hope.

Wise, Va. I like that! :)

yappy
02-16-2009, 22:05
it is still about the safest place you can be. I wouldn't be out in it all the time if I didn't think it was. I don't want to spend my life hiding in the bathroom but I try and keep my wits about me. Like I said I have has some strange things happen to me, like mnt, but I see way more good folks .. way more.

yappy
02-16-2009, 22:07
in typical Alaskan fashion we have 24,000 buried in the tundra... my dad thinks we should get a CD..lol

dmax
02-17-2009, 18:15
No thats not Bob. Is that guy from a movie?

24,000 buried in the tundra? Maybe you should tell me where, incase something were to happen to you all. Not that I wish that on anybody. Also, I'm now thinking about heading to Alaska with my metal detector to do some ahhh hiking.:D

Wise Old Owl
02-17-2009, 19:08
Another reason for a White Blaze "Harmless Hiker" T shirt.

Nightwalker
02-17-2009, 19:59
I've run into that sort of thing too. I'm still alive.That you know of.

Or nalgene bottlesThat's funny, as I believe he hikes with one.

I remember once on a solo camping trip the Leonid's were due on a certain evening. I made sure to camp that night on a lake...Sounds wet. :D

yappy
02-17-2009, 21:13
Dmax, you should come on up ! there is a whole LOT of tundra up here..:)

JumpInTheLake
02-17-2009, 22:11
No that's not Bob. Is that guy from a movie?

:D

That is Bob from "Twin Peaks". I thought someone would pick up on it.

I suppose my humor can be a bit obscure at times. Friends actually enjoy talking about how bad my humor can be. Whatever gives folks pleasure....

shelterbuilder
02-17-2009, 22:38
it is still about the safest place you can be. I wouldn't be out in it all the time if I didn't think it was. I don't want to spend my life hiding in the bathroom but I try and keep my wits about me. Like I said I have has some strange things happen to me, like mnt, but I see way more good folks .. way more.

And this is precisely the reason why, when there IS a crime out here, the media plays it up into something larger-than-life: most people on the trail ARE good folks, and crimes out here are NOT the norm.

Yes, it can happen. Yes, you do need to size up every situation. Yes, you do need to listen to your instincts and leave if "something" doesn't feel right. But most folks out here are harmless (even if we DO look/act a bit strange). Heck, even though I wave to folks when I meet them, I get strange looks because I don't talk, UNTIL people realize that I CAN'T talk...after that, it's business-as-usual.

SGT Rock
02-17-2009, 22:48
You need to wory more about hypothermia and bad diet on the trail than you do about crime.

mtnkngxt
02-18-2009, 07:55
Most of the time it isn't our little clan of hiker trash commiting the crimes though. It is locals. There are good ways to avoid crime and problems, just stay as far away from town and shelters clost to towns as possible.

MOWGLI
02-18-2009, 07:58
You need to wory more about hypothermia and bad diet on the trail than you do about crime.

That's not as much fun though. Can't stir up the masses over cold weather or not enough protein. ;)

mtnkngxt
02-18-2009, 09:51
Its always a non issue until its you or your family that get hurt. I've had the experiences and live with the proof that terrible things happen to good people. I'd rather my family and myself be prepared then be a victim again.

MOWGLI
02-18-2009, 10:05
Its always a non issue until its you or your family that get hurt. I've had the experiences and live with the proof that terrible things happen to good people. I'd rather my family and myself be prepared then be a victim again.

Agreed. And I'm sorry to hear you and yours have been victimized.

I just don't think people should live life in fear because of the 24 hour news cycle. And tens of millions do - every day. Be prepared - as best as you can. Your brain is your best weapon. I have a shiny new 30-30 for when that fails - but it stays home.

SteelReserve
02-18-2009, 10:14
Seriously though a .380ACP compact ruger fits nicely into pack belt pockets

mtnkngxt is that a Ruger LCP you carry?

Frick Frack
02-18-2009, 10:31

My wife and I had an interesting encounter at the Port Clinton Hotel. We ate lunch there and left our packs on the front porch where we met a resident of the hotel who said he would love to hike the AT but could not because he was in the military. We assured him he could thru-hike someday if he really wanted to & went in and ate. A few hours later, & a few Lord Chesterfield Ales later, we went back out to the front porch to get our packs and he jumped out the front door with a tarp under one arm, a duffle bag, and a pack of t-shirts. He said "I just got my stand down orders and I'm hiking the AT!". We asked where he was hiking and he said he was going to GA with us. We were startled and my wife aked what he planned to do about food and water. He said the military trained him to find food & water anywhere in the world. We could'nt change his mind and did not know his intentions and felt very strange. He followed us into the woods and we did not know what to do. My wife came up with the perfect plan....we used 2.5 months of hiking experience and put the pedal to the metal and blasted out of Port Clinton. We never saw him again but that night at Eagle's Nest Shelter we were worried he might show up and didn't sleep too well. It sounds harmless (and probably was)but both of us had a bad feeling about it & I always trust my instincts. It was the only uncomfortable encounter the entire 5 months.

mtnkngxt
02-18-2009, 10:52
Yes I do own and have been known to carry an LCP. It weighs less than my water filter loaded. I like it because its small concealable and doesnt print if carried in nylon shorts like I hike in. Safety is well made and I feel it is safe for me and innocent bystanders while hiking, meaning that I'm not worried about it snagging on the trigger or the safety "bumping" off. I would not reccomend carrying a semi with an external hammer while hiking. I also have a S&W airweight in 38+p, dbl action only no external hammer. Keeps it from snagging or accidentally cocking. I load both with gold dot hollow points.

Petr
02-18-2009, 15:51
Is this the Bob you speak of?

http://www.freebase.com/api/trans/image_thumb//guid/9202a8c04000641f8000000004a96502?maxheight=560&mode=fit&maxwidth=280

It's been 17 years since I first watched that show and that dude still creeps me out. Fire, walk with me.

SGT Rock
02-18-2009, 20:32
And the truth is more people get carried out of the woods on stretchers because they didn't have the right clothing for the weather than because of crime. I ain't saying don't think about it - but if you go into it with the risk mitigation mindset, you have to look at likelihood of a thread and the level of harm it can cause. Crime - highly unlikely and catastrophic. Hypothermia - likely and catastrophic.

Heart attacks and other medical events happen more than the crime. If you are truly worried about dealing with likely threats - then the LCP is not very effective at dealing with the ones you are likely to encounter.

Just saying. And FWIW - I do have a weapon carry permit.

TrippinBTM
02-18-2009, 21:30

And I can attest to both of those!

dmax
02-18-2009, 21:39
I don't know the stats, but "I" would say more crimes have been committed on the AT than people carried out on the stretcher.

SGT Rock
02-18-2009, 21:44
I don't know the stats, but "I" would say more crimes have been committed on the AT than people carried out on the stretcher.
There are a few people carried out of the Smokies every year. Last year there was a muldoon carried down the hill just north of Hot Springs while I was there for Trail Fest. Probably every trail area has at least one story of a guy getting stretchered out every year.

Trail crimes that would reach the level of firearm involvement are rare compared to all that. If you wanna count littering, occasional gear theft, and hiking with weed to say there are more crimes commited - that is fine with me. But I don't think it meets the mark of heart attacks, hypothermia, lightning strikes, etc.

mtnkngxt
02-18-2009, 22:19
I see your point Rock.

dmax
02-18-2009, 22:26
I hear ya too, Rock. I guess there is alot of things to be mindfull of while out in the woods. Live healthy, live right, and watch your back.

SGT Rock
02-18-2009, 22:27
And for what it is worth - I totally understand anyone wanting to carry. I'm not afraid of any of you guys with a CCW permit hiking armed. Can't say that for everyone on WB though.

Something else to think about for you guys that are thinking about going armed. You need to decide if you want to make that fact known on the Internet before you go. I get asked by bank patrons who have CCWs or are planning on getting one if it is OK to carry in the bank. I explain to them about our large depositors that already carry, and how if they have the permit they are definitely not the ones I am worried about. BUT then I also tell them that other patrons in the bank could have a freak out not understanding this - and new bank tellers may even do this. That if they carry in the bank - the best advice is to not let ANYONE know about it.

Lugnut
02-18-2009, 22:35
Most of the time it isn't our little clan of hiker trash commiting the crimes though.

But sometimes it is? :eek: