PDA

View Full Version : Contact with bears

Gator 65
02-14-2009, 08:11
I'm leaving Springer early March. What area(s) can we expect to encounter bears the most and what are some basic tips or advice to follow?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2009, 08:13
bears? new jersey. advice? just look at them. bears aren't a problem

Egads
02-14-2009, 08:18
I'm leaving Springer early March. What area(s) can we expect to encounter bears the most and what are some basic tips or advice to follow?

Keep your camera handy, else, No one will believe you saw a bear.;)

JF2CBR
02-14-2009, 08:43
The little ones are more of a problem than the larger ones as far as getting close. Mothers are very protective and she won't like you close her children, you may not even see her, but she's there!

Pedaling Fool
02-14-2009, 08:48
Black bears protecting their young is more a myth, actually if they can't bluff you they'll leave their offspring.

Wheeler
02-14-2009, 09:22
Keep your camera handy, else, No one will believe you saw a bear.;)

I never got a decent bear pic. they always ran off. :(

MOWGLI
02-14-2009, 09:30
Pretty much anywhere in GA, NC & TN you could see one. VA has lots too. So doe PA and NJ. NY too.

You could see a bear in all of the 14 states that the trail passes through. If you're lucky, you will see more than a few. The Smokies & Shenandoah NP have large populations, as does NJ. Many hikers see them there.

Advice? Follow the advice of local land managers regarding food storage. Use the cable system when provided. The rules are there as much to protect the bears, as to protect your food. A fed bear, is a dead bear.

Pedaling Fool
02-14-2009, 09:30
Black bears protecting their young is more a myth, actually if they can't bluff you they'll leave their offspring.
Here's the source http://www.bear.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=168&Itemid=38

From the above website:

Greatest misconception: The greatest misconception about black bears is that they are likely to attack people in defense of cubs. They are highly unlikely to do this. Black bear researchers often capture screaming cubs in the presence of bluff-charging mothers with no attacks.

Defense of cubs is a grizzly bear trait. About 70 percent of human deaths from grizzly bears are from mothers defending cubs, but black bear mothers have not been known to kill anyone in defense of cubs.

Deerleg
02-14-2009, 10:04
Greatest misconception: The greatest misconception about black bears is that they are likely to attack people in defense of cubs. They are highly unlikely to do this. Black bear researchers often capture screaming cubs in the presence of bluff-charging mothers with no attacks...

Had an experience in Shenandoah NP with 2 cubs and momma bear that pretty much confirms your quote. Unintentionally got between mom and the cubs and mom stood next to a tree about 35 yards away, gave us a concerned look, sort of made a wolfing sound and waited for us to pass while the frightened cubs had treed themselves on the opposite side of the trail from mom.
My encounters over the years have been with skittish bears that run off soon as they spot me. Shelter logs will also let you know what kind of activity is taking place in a given area and seeing lots of fresh bear scat means you have a good chance of seeing one.

Morpheus
02-14-2009, 12:20
I agree about the usual nonaggressive nature of Black bears. My first encounter was in '92 on a side trail in the Smokies. An adult, 50 feet ahead, saw us and high-tailed it off the trail. Second encounter in '94, stealth camping, miles south of Wayah Bald; awoke @ twilight to sound of a sappling being shaken, 10 feet in front of tent. Opened tent door and cub took off running.
Though I have not had a problem, plenty of people I've met have, and it was always related to food. Four hikers at Spence Field showed me the remnants of their cookwear after a bear found it outside a shelter during the night before.
Think of the bears as giant mice and keep your food/ cookwear hung and away from your tent/ hammock/ shelter and you'll be fine.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2009, 12:57
i sleep with my food in the tent

MOWGLI
02-14-2009, 13:47
i sleep with my food in the tent

Your choice. Not something that should be encouraged however. Bears learn to associate humans with food. Problems ensue. Bear pays the price.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2009, 13:53
Bears learn to associate humans with food. Problems ensue. Bear pays the price.

that's why shelters suck. 20 plus people there cooking and spilling no wonder bears love shelters

emerald
02-14-2009, 13:53
PGC's black bear links page (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=287917&postcount=45)

MOWGLI
02-14-2009, 13:55
that's why shelters suck. 20 plus people there cooking and spilling no wonder bears love shelters

The cable system or bear poles or bear boxes should be used by hikers at shelters. Shelters can indeed be bear magnets. Trash and food should go in there.

In the Sierra, smellables like sunscreen and bug spray have to go in the bear canister. FS & NPS regs.

johnnybgood
02-14-2009, 13:57
I've had closer encounters with skunks ...twice:eek:

emerald
02-14-2009, 14:02
I've pointed out before hikers aren't required to prepare meals at shelters and it might be better if they didn't for a number of reasons, but I'm not of a mind much would come of promoting the idea just mentioned.

johnnybgood
02-14-2009, 14:26
The newest of shelters in GSMNP are designed with kitchen "area" to accommodate hikers in preparing their meals. Not advocating cooking in shelters but many I'm sure will disagree.

DavidNH
02-14-2009, 15:22

You may (but probably won't) see bears in the smokies. Beyond that, expect to see Bears in VA and in NJ. If you are really unlucky, you can at least expect to see them at the Bear Mtn Zoo in NY.

For When you see bears:

Have your camera at the ready, a point and shoot is best. Chances are the bear will be moving away.

Keep your voice low. Else you will scare the bear off before you have a chance to snap a picture

If a campsite/shelter has a bear box or poll or pulley system use it. They aren't there just for the heck of it.

DavidNH

steve43
02-14-2009, 15:37
i forgot who said it here on WB, but apparently the best way to make sure you don't have a bear encounter is to always have your camera ready. bears seem to show up when your camera is at the bottom of your pack. :rolleyes:

fifo

Blissful
02-14-2009, 15:38
I saw one bear - in PA. Not one in NJ despite all the dire warnings. Probably will see them though in SNP. You'll be too early for bear in GSMNP if you're leaving early March. We had 70 degrees and they weren't around.
Knock your poles together and they scram.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2009, 17:36
There was a problem bear or bears at Walnut Mt shelter last spring. One guy made the mistake of hanging his food directly above his tent and the bear tried to stand on the tent to help get to the food bag! Needless to say, that didn't work and both the hiker and the bear were mighty suprised.

JF2CBR
02-14-2009, 17:43
I've seen them in the Smokys, the Shennys, and lots in PA. One I saw in the smokys was almost tame, there were lots of hikers around and it didn't even really seem to care or be bothered.

George
02-14-2009, 17:57
the time of year makes more difference than location aug is about peak another reason so many see bears in N J. We in the Chicago area often have our hearts broken when we see bears

YoungMoose
02-14-2009, 18:06
Not likely ull se some they are spread out so far apart.

johnnybgood
02-14-2009, 18:16
the time of year makes more difference than location aug is about peak another reason so many see bears in N J. We in the Chicago area often have our hearts broken when we see bears
Cubs too

emerald
02-14-2009, 18:21
Think about what you just posted OBB.:-? Chancing upon a bear is a random event, but the Earth is a small place in some ways. Some places are also more densly populated with bears.

When someone follows a linear path of 2000 miles, they're bound to cross other paths, including bear paths, some of which might have bears on them at the same point you intercept them.:eek: They're not likely expecting to see humans either, hence the surprise when such encounters occur.:D

Strategic
02-14-2009, 19:08
Never have seen one in PA, despite the fact that I know there's a significant population. In NJ, however, I saw five on a weekend section from DWG to Culver's Gap. Most were of the usual "what was that large black thing streaking away from us?" variety but my partner and I also encountered two large males on Camp Rd. where the AT crosses (just above the Mohican Outdoor Center.) There guys were totally casual even with three hikers nearby (a day-hiker was watching them too.) We ended up following them for about half a mile as they ranged up through the woods north of Catfish Gap, mostly because they were paralleling the trail. It was quite a neat experience. Unfortunately, as is usual with bear encounters, I only got a clear shot of them from a distance. I've attached the picture below.

Basically, most of the advice you've been getting is sound: take basic food precautions of hanging or bear boxing, don't purposely antagonize one, and keep your camera ready in the thick bear zones of GSMNP, SNP, and NJ. As Mowgli says, it's the bear you'll be saving as long as you follow these basic rules. He's got the right of it: a fed bear is a dead bear. Don't be the one that teaches a bear that raiding humans for food is a good idea, because it will likely get that bear killed all too soon.

Strategic
02-14-2009, 19:10
forgot to attach the photo. Here it is: