PDA

View Full Version : Tent sites near Springer Mountain

Gator 65
02-14-2009, 13:40
I was looking at Appalachian Pages and it shows tent sites at Springer Mountain but no more until you get to Justis Creek (13.8 miles). Are there tent sites at Stover and / or Hawk Mountain shelters? Can you stealth camp at those shelters?
It would be convenient for water source and privy use.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2009, 13:42
I was looking at Appalachian Pages and it shows tent sites at Springer Mountain but no more until you get to Justis Creek (13.8 miles). Are there tent sites at Stover and / or Hawk Mountain shelters? Can you stealth camp at those shelters?

there's tons of places to tent between shelters and plenty of tenting at shelters

Johnny Thunder
02-14-2009, 14:55
Yes...there will be lots of camping. I remember one on each side of Sassafras Mountain and a few flat spots on top. Pretty much anywhere in Georgia where the shelter is out of view of the trail you're set for a worn in tenting spot at the trail crossing. There was a real great tent site at the creek/river about a mile after the second shelter North from Springer. And another tenting spot at the falls shortly thereafter.

daddytwosticks
02-14-2009, 15:02
Don't forget around the Three Forks area. All those noisy creeks make a great area to set up camp. :)

Cool AT Breeze
02-14-2009, 15:47
Don't forget around the Three Forks area. All those noisy creeks make a great area to set up camp. :)
So you can't hear the bears sneaking up on you at night.

Blissful
02-14-2009, 16:05
I'd stay down by Stover Creek, beautiful there - that's what I would do next time rather than stay on Springer which was way too windy. The creek has water and privy - well, woods work fine too. :)

FatMan
02-14-2009, 16:06
So you can't hear the bears sneaking up on you at night.Or the locals playing banjo music.:eek:

UGASlotMachine
02-14-2009, 22:11
You can pretty much camp at any shelter along the trail if you wish (with few exceptions, I know). You'll also find lots of unknown water sources with good spots to camp near too. I wouldn't get too caught up in the planning aspect, you'll know from others on the trail where good spots coming up will be...enjoy it!!!

SunnyWalker
02-14-2009, 22:18
I had a very nice evening at Justus Creek.

FatMan
02-14-2009, 22:39
There are plenty of tent sites along the trail in Georgia. Justus Creek is nice, but right on the trail. One of my favorites is Blackwell Creek where the old AT crosses. It will get you away from the crowds at the Gooch Mtn shelter and is only a few hundred yards further downstream from where the current AT crosses.

Mercy
02-15-2009, 19:27
Are there tent sites at Stover and / or Hawk Mountain shelters? Can you stealth camp at those shelters?

When you hike up to the shelter, you'll usually see a map and several signs. Direction to water, direction to privies, and directions to tent sites around the shelter.

and was already stated, there are a lot of other great sites, away from the shelters.

ChinMusic
02-15-2009, 20:32
If I started at Amicalola, a great place to stealth camp (for me) would be among the hemlocks along Stover Creek (gotta be a flat spot in there somewhere) on the first night. I thought those monster hemlocks were the coolest thing in the early part of the hike.

Ox97GaMe
02-16-2009, 01:17
*** Update ***
The GATC is putting a relo in place (to open sometime this spring) between Cooper Gap and the new Gooch Gap shelter. This will bypass the old Justus Creek camping area. The camping site that many hikers have stayed at in the past has been over used and they want it to revegitate. The new trail will cross Justus Creek about 150 yards downstream from the old camping area.

Ox97GaMe
02-16-2009, 01:19
The relo will start at the top of the mountain before Justus Creek and continue for approx 1 mile to join up with a previous relo that moved the trail away from the old Black Creek camping area.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 01:19
*** Update ***
The GATC is putting a relo in place (to open sometime this spring) between Cooper Gap and the new Gooch Gap shelter. This will bypass the old Justus Creek camping area. The camping site that many hikers have stayed at in the past has been over used and they want it to revegitate. The new trail will cross Justus Creek about 150 yards downstream from the old camping area.

I didn't overuse it. Just one night...........:o

daddytwosticks
02-16-2009, 08:38
So long as there is still a water source after comming down from the top of that last PUD....water pleeaasseee! :)