PDA

View Full Version : Susquehannock Trail - PA

stranger
05-12-2004, 05:04
Just thought I would mention this beautiful little trail in North-Central Pennsylvania. It's in Potter County off Route 6 I believe nearby the town of Coudersport. For anyone looking for a nice 4-6 day walk this a a great trail.

It starts at Denton Hill State Park off Route 6, it's 85 miles long, no shelters which is always nice, tons of creeks and streams and good wildlife (I saw 4 bear in 5 days). Best of all it's very easy walking, the hardest climb being a 500 ft ascent. Check it out if you get the chance.

Oh yeah...you go through this little town, I mean tiny, called Cross Fork. So there's a PO, bar/restaurant and Motel. But I hiked this trail a while ago so things may have changed, the town is pretty much at the halfway point.

c.coyle
05-12-2004, 07:16
It's a jewel. I hiked most of it in June, 2003. Saw my first active beaver dam at Splash Dam Hollow. I think this trail gets overlooked because the West Rim Trail, which got raves in one of the backpacking magazines a few years ago, is nearby.

You're right about there being no shelters, although we ran into what looked like a homemade lean-to under construction about 1 1/2 miles outside Cross Forks. I doubt it was "official".

I didn't get there, but there's supposedly a stand of original, old growth hemlocks on an unmarked side trail near the south end of the loop. Apparently they're so remote that the loggers at the turn of the century decided they weren't worth the trouble.

http://www.kta-hike.org/susque.htm

The climb I think you're talking about is short but a real killer:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1882/size/big/password/0/sort/1/cat/500]

The only downer last year was that the Cherry Springs fire tower was closed, apparently permanently. The store / bar in Cross Forks is operated by Jeff & Brenda McKinney. Very nice folks.

funkyfreddy
05-12-2004, 10:28
How close is it to the West Rim Trail in the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?

c.coyle
05-12-2004, 11:25
How close is it to the West Rim Trail in the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon?

About an hour's drive, maybe a little more, on Pa. Route 6 to Denton Hill, where the northern trailhead of the loop is located.

Sparky!
05-12-2004, 21:07
I see the trail is close to the Black Forest Trail (BFT) I am looking at hiking that this summer... has anyone hiked that?

Sparky!

c.coyle
05-13-2004, 05:49
I see the trail is close to the Black Forest Trail (BFT) I am looking at hiking that this summer... has anyone hiked that?

Sorry. Haven't hiked it.