PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Parking in Williamstown, MA

mikec
02-14-2009, 17:59
I called the Williamstown Inn last week to inquire about parking at the inn while section hiking from North Adams to Katahdin. The person I spoke to said that they don't encourage long term parking at the inn. She said that I could talk to the local police department about parking a vehicle on Pine Cobble Road in Williamstown for for free long term. Has anyone here ever done this and is this area safe for parking a vehicle long term (65 days)?

Thanks.

max patch
02-14-2009, 18:39
I called the Williamstown Inn last week to inquire about parking at the inn while section hiking from North Adams to Katahdin. The person I spoke to said that they don't encourage long term parking at the inn. She said that I could talk to the local police department about parking a vehicle on Pine Cobble Road in Williamstown for for free long term. Has anyone here ever done this and is this area safe for parking a vehicle long term (65 days)?

Thanks.

I did that when I rehiked Vermont about 10 years ago. I stopped by the police dept and they said they would drive by the car daily on thier rounds. I had no problems during the approx 2 weeks my car was there.

Having said that, I wouldn't leave my car there for 2 months. This question has come up several times; do a search. Some alternatives are now available that didn't exist when I left my car there that seem to be safer.

Good luck.

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2009, 18:42
You might also want to contact the Security Office at Williams College, or perhaps the Outing Club, and ask them if the college has a long-term or visitors lot that you could use. Most schools do. Failing that, the very nice folks at the local outfitter, the Mountain Goat, bight have some ideas.

Quoddy
02-14-2009, 18:56
The concensus from past answers to this question is the Greylock Community Club in North Adams which is only 300ft. east of the AT crossing at Rte. 2 (413) 664-9020. The parking at Pine Cobble is in a small luxury neighborhood (my doctor lives there) and I don't know how welcome long term parking would be. The space is normally for day hikers going up the hill.

I live about 15 minutes from there and could drop you off at the trailhead if you want to leave your car in my drive. It's as secure as it gets here in the area I live in.

max patch
02-14-2009, 19:04
The concensus from past answers to this question is the Greylock Community Club in North Adams which is only 300ft. east of the AT crossing at Rte. 2 (413) 664-9020. The parking at Pine Cobble is in a small luxury neighborhood (my doctor lives there) and I don't know how welcome long term parking would be. The space is normally for day hikers going up the hill.

I live about 15 minutes from there and could drop you off at the trailhead if you want to leave your car in my drive. It's as secure as it gets here in the area I live in.

Thats a nice offer, Quoddy.

Like I said, its been 10 years since I've parked there, but it certainly wasn't a luxury neighborhood then. The parking was at the trailhead to the Pine Cobble Trail, which intersects the AT in a few miles. At the time it was all woods; there was one small industrial type building nearby. Has this area been developed or are we talking about 2 different locations?

Quoddy
02-14-2009, 19:08
Thats a nice offer, Quoddy.

Like I said, its been 10 years since I've parked there, but it certainly wasn't a luxury neighborhood then. The parking was at the trailhead to the Pine Cobble Trail, which intersects the AT in a few miles. At the time it was all woods; there was one small industrial type building nearby. Has this area been developed or are we talking about 2 different locations?
It's the same neighborhood. There's a tiny parking area on the side of Pine Cobble Road very near the start of the trail. The first 1/3 mile of the Pine Cobble Trail weaves past the yards of the newly (last ten years) built houses.

mikec
02-15-2009, 12:10
Thanks for the responses. Quoddy, I may take you up on your offer. I'm weighing the cost of either:

1) Train from DC to Boston and bus from Boston to Williamstown

2) Fly to Albany, which is only 40 miles from Williamstown, and then get a cab or shuttle to Williamstown

3) Drive to Williamstown from northern Virginia, park the car there and take public transport back to Williamstown to retrieve my car after I get to Katahdin.

Alternative 3 looks like the cheapest as long as my vehicle is intact and drivable after I get done with my section hike. Yes, 65 days is a long time to get from North Adams/Williamstown to Katahdin and back. But remember that I am the Virginia Tortoise :)