PDA

View Full Version : critique another AT gear list, s'il vous plait?

betsi
02-14-2009, 21:39
here's my list for a march 15 nobo start. please critique...

pack: osprey aura 50 - 2 lb 15 oz
bag: w.m. versalite short - 1 lb 14 oz
pad: women's prolite 3 - 1 lb 2 oz
tent: b.a. fly creek ul1 - 1 lb 14 oz
footprint - 4 oz
stove: snow peak lite max - 1.9 oz
cook: snow peak 900 - 6.0 oz
fuel: gigamax 110g - 6.8 oz
utensil: spork - 0.6 oz
water sterilization: steripen - 6.4 oz
water sterilization backup: aquamira tabs - 0.9 oz
tools: leatherman micra - 1.75 oz
headlamp: petzel tikka + batteries - 4.0 oz
base-layer pants: smartwool midweight - 7.0 oz
convertible pants - 12.5 oz
rain pants: marmot precip - 10 oz
base-layer shirt: icebreaker 260 (mid) - 11.0 oz
2nd shirt: nike drifit longsleeve - 6 oz
fleece layer: north face apex (fleece inside/windstop outside) - 1 lb 4 oz
rain jacket: rei taku - 17.0 oz
packa - 11.0 oz
hat: wool/fleece - 2.75 oz
hat: quickdry w/brim - 2.0 oz
gloves black diamond windstopper fleece - 2.25 oz
socks: 3 pair smartwool hiking weight - 8.25 oz
underthings: 2 underwear/2 bras - 9.75 oz
camp shoes: chacos - 1 lb 8 oz (i know these are heavy, but i prefer chacos to tevas - any alternatives i could hike in if necessary?)
gaitors: o.r. - 6.5 oz
bandanna - 1.25 oz
toothbrusth/paste/floss - 2.0 oz
lip balm/sunblock/baby powder/purell/baby wipes - 7.75 oz
toilet paper - 3.0 oz
paper/pen - 1.25 oz
data book/appalachian pages excerpts - 1.0 oz
map - 2.0 oz
sunglasses - 2.0 oz
duct tape/rope - 5.0 oz
compass/lighter/matches/whistle - 2.5 oz
first aid - 5 oz
cell phone/charger - 5.9 oz
ipod/charger - 5.75 oz (i'm on the fence about this)
poles: rei peak ul - 11.2 oz

total weight (including fuel) is 22 lb 13 oz; "big 4" account for 8 lb 2 oz. i'd like to get down to 20 lbs (or lower if feasible). i'm also planning to carry tincture of benzoin, but i don't have this yet. my camera isn't on this list either (currently shopping for a lighter, smaller one). plus, i'll use trash compactor bag(s), ziplocs, a couple of plastic grocery store bags, and 3 gatorade or other wide-mouth plastic bottles.
many thanks for all feedback and tips on lightening up! :sun

fiddlehead
02-14-2009, 22:21
IMO: Don't need sunglasses
Don't need a raincoat AND the Packa (go with a sil-nylon pack cover instead, much lighter)
Could go much lighter with a foam pad (might take a week or two to get used to sleeping a little rougher but you can do it)
NO need for a spork. Spoon is actually better although i don't think you'd save any weight. (the eternal search for the lightest spoon out there begins.) (I found one the other day in one of those Chinese noodle soup instant things that is about 1 1/2 inches long folded up, but i still use my aluminum spoon i found years ago)
Camp shoes, Nah. If you really think you are going to be spending that much time in camp, either find something lighter or just wear your shoes. Or neoprene slippers or something light.
Seems like a lot of pants.
Two forms of water purification (why?) Many take none, you have two. I'd get rid of at least one of them

I think you'll find that you'd get rid of most of the above after a few weeks out there.
You'd see that you have more than everyone else and (most importantly) you'd find you are not using that stuff.
I won't get into your chargers. You know they're heavy but if you really think you need to carry them to stay in touch with the world. ............. But 2? Again, this seems like one of them will get sent home sooner or later.

Don't know much about bras. But i know a good rule of thumb is: If you aren't wearing it at night, or in camp, you don't need it. 2? I don't carry 2 of anything except food , socks, tent stakes, and aspirin.

I am amazed that all of that only weighs 22 lbs. It seems like it would be a lot more.

Good luck and have fun.

I think you are typical and possibly a little scared that you won't have something you need. Most everyone starts that way.
You can take that unneccesary stuff out of your pack now, or later.
up to you.

theinfamousj
02-15-2009, 02:03
I won't get into your chargers. You know they're heavy but if you really think you need to carry them to stay in touch with the world. ............. But 2? Again, this seems like one of them will get sent home sooner or later.

To OP -- Radio Shack has a powercord system with changeable tips. This may help you cut down on chargers. One charger with two tips. (Or it may weigh more than the original two chargers. Who knows.)

Don't know much about bras. But i know a good rule of thumb is: If you aren't wearing it at night, or in camp, you don't need it. 2? I don't carry 2 of anything except food , socks, tent stakes, and aspirin.

To OP -- I have never needed two bras. I don't wear mine when sleeping. If you do, then perhaps you will need two of them. When I have had strap malfunctions or torn seams, I just toss my rain jacket or zip-fleece jacket or something that looks like a jacket on my torso long enough to buy a replacement bra.

I've noticed that men either don't notice that I'm braless with a jacket on or are well trained enough to keep their mouth shut, and women either don't notice/care or sympathize and can point you in the direction of a new bra. I should add that I felt out of sorts being braless.

I have backpacked in bras that range from sports bras to Victoria's Secret bras that were never designed to go out in to the woods. I've had probably every possible bra malfunction out there (including having my hooks get stuck so that I was actually stuck IN the bra). Still, with a jacket in the pack I've never needed a second bra.

sbennett
02-15-2009, 03:22
Ideas to lighten up:

- get rid of the tent footprint b/c tents these days are durable enough...
- leave the chacos or get some crocs that are way lighter
- trade the fleece for some sort of down sweater that you can probably get on sale right now and will lighten the pack by 8 or more ounces
- leave the chargers in your bounce box and maybe even the cell phone...
- trim out some weight from the first aid kit
- take only 2 water bottles (gatorade bottles weigh less than the nalgenes obviously) or just bring a bladder
- trade the packa for a sil-nylon rain cover (will save around 6 or 7 ounces)

Desert Reprobate
02-15-2009, 03:40
Ace Bandage instead of bra. Dual use if you sprain an ankle

mark schofield
02-15-2009, 16:26
I really find it helpful reading peoples gear lists and the suggestions that they get. What do you anticipate your startup weight will be for food and water. I don't know how you are planning to resupply and the times between. And water conditions have allot of input. Thanks, Mark S.

mountain squid
02-19-2009, 15:28
Very thorough list. Looks pretty good. Some observations:

concur with others about the raincoat and the packa
hydration system for drinking on the go
waldies/crocs instead of chacos
ear plugs
check sternum strap on pack for whistle (that might save a .5 oz:rolleyes:)

Also, on your pack, you might consider removing the 'lid' and leaving it at home. That would probably save 1 or 2 pounds. Without it, you will be forced to reconsider how necessary everything that you would have put in it really is. Which might save a few more ounces.

And, of course, don't forget ID/atm/credit cards.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Pootz
02-19-2009, 15:51
Overall a pretty complete gear list.

You may want to consider gortex outers for your over your fleece gloves. You will have some cold rainy days to hike in and fleece will not be very warm once you get it wet.

See if you can lighten up your pack a little. Cut off all uneeded things (straps/water blader pocket, etc.)

Enjoy your hike.

Blissful
02-20-2009, 22:58
I'd leave one bra home and take an extra pair of underwear.
Don't need both rain jacket and a packa.
Definitely take crocs and not sandals. If you want to hike in sandals later, sure but not when you start - too cold, soggy, possible snow.
Don't need sunglasses as you have a hat with a brim.
Don't need baby powder.
I don't liker gaiters d/t blister issue but that's up to you.
Hope your outer layer is warm enough (I don't know the rating and your jacket is somewhat heavy). I took a 1 lb down jacket to start.
And the weight of your pack is super - not sure why people are advocating taking off the top lid and straps - I sure wouldn't. Once you cut it off, it's gone. If the pack was 6 lbs, then you might look at that !
Now I liked having a ground sheet - but I took Tyvek. Might look into that.

mountain squid
02-23-2009, 15:50
not sure why people are advocating taking off the top lidI shall elaborate.

Unless the top lid is required for additional storage space, I think it is more a convenience than anything else (some packs don't have lids anymore). You might put stuff in the lid that you would like to have readily available during the day. Convenient, but not necessary.

betsi indicated a desire to drop to 20 pounds or less and may not have considered removing the lid. As I mentioned, removing the lid might save 1 or 2 pounds, which might put besti closer to 20 pounds. The weight of the lid might not be much, but all the stuff that gets shoved in there might be. Removing the lid might force you to consider the importance of each item.

From the packs webpage, it appears the lid could be removed without cutting any straps.

Sometimes lids are easily converted to a 'fannypack'. Which can be convenient for keeping valuable with you at all times, especially in towns. I don't know if this one does, but again that is a convenience.

Many hikers may like the convenience factors of a lid, it wasn't important to me. Since I didn't consider starting without the lid, I got rid of it at Neels Gap.

Just my .02 worth (maybe that is .04 worth)...

Anyway, Good Luck and Have Fun, betsi!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

The Weasel
02-23-2009, 16:18
Get mylar "space blanket" to use as footprint. Has other uses as well.

TW

betsi
03-02-2009, 00:55
thanks much for all your advice...i will go with just the packa and will ditch the chacos in favor of crocs. have also pared down the first aid kit (that was the one weight i guessed) and will visit radio shack to get some sort of universal charger. i'm curious to see how long it will be before i start sending the technology back home.

i agree that ditching the lid is a great place to shave some weight, but (at this point) i do like the convenience of it for daily stuff and as a fanny pack in town.

i'm also curious to see what "conveniences" i'll ditch as my hike ensues. can't wait to see how the process shapes my pack - and me! 2 weeks 'til i'm at springer - woohoo!

Tin Man
03-02-2009, 01:10
bounce box on your list? you can mail yourself stuff up the trail that you only need occasionally or for special resupply needs

mtnkngxt
03-02-2009, 10:38
I'd say cut down the clothes some. My girl on our winter long hikes takes 1 bra 2 underwear 1 poly short 1 long and 1 long bottom with 3 pairs of Smartwool socks. She also takes a Marmot driclime jacket, fleece hat wool liner gloves and a Western Mountaineering down vest. For rain she has ULA mist mitts and a ULA rain skirt with a Dri Ducks jacket. As far as pants go 1 pair of convertables should do you fine, but in order to do laundry, I always suggest taking a pair of lightweight nylon jogging shorts. My sister takes about the same setup as my girl, and has done some pretty big miles.

I personally like hiking in nylon Lightweight board shorts meant for the beach and typically cut out the liner. I've seen women on the trail in these as well. They dry quickly and are big allowing for plenty of circulation and breathing of the lower extremities. Theres no right or wrong answer on clothing especially for women, as comfort ranges vary widely.

Good choice of sleeping bag, WM is a great company and sleeping bags are never the place to decide to be cheap.

You will find alot of people don't like the spork, however I love mine.

More to come on post will edit later.