PDA

View Full Version : Posting on the trail

ryanwheeler007
02-14-2009, 23:20
How are people putting up daily posts to trailjournals.com? I'd like to keep the people at home updated but just not sure how that works when your thru-hiking... I know I can stop at librarys... How am I supposed to post pictures? I can't wait to sleep on rocks, this house looks more like a cage everyday :)

hopefulhiker
02-14-2009, 23:22
you can get someone to post them for you.. I had a couple of SD cards.. mail one back and then get it mail dropped back.. Some hostels have computers.. also there are devices like smart phones you can use.. I used pocket mail back in the day....

Blissful
02-15-2009, 00:13
My hubby did my pics for me. But be careful about mailing them. More than one hiker has had them lost in the mail. Better off downloading them in a town with photo service to an account. Check though with people who have done this as I did not (my hubby met me on occasion on the trail with the laptop exept when we got up north, then I waited til I got home).

theinfamousj
02-15-2009, 01:15
There are flash card readers that look like flash drives. This will work in any computer with a USB port without need for additional software, though more computers now have built in card readers.

mountain squid
02-16-2009, 15:06
There are flash card readers that look like flash drives. This will work in any computer with a USB port without need for additional software, though more computers now have built in card readers.Not sure how many librarys would allow you to plug that into the computer...besides I suspect it would take forever to upload pictures in a library.

Agree with Blissful about mailing. Go to a store with a photo service (WalMart/Target/Walgreens/etc) and make a cd or something as a backup.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

theinfamousj
02-22-2009, 00:46
Not sure how many librarys would allow you to plug that into the computer

For actual computers with USB ports, I never ask ... I just plug. I've always assumed that since I could find the USB drive, and I knew I wasn't infecting their computer, that it was part of the package of being able to use the computer.

Well, you know what they say about assuming. http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/1502/chagrined.gif (http://imageshack.us) But for those who ask, these work just like a flash drive and the computer sees them the same way.

...besides I suspect it would take forever to upload pictures in a library.

Now that I agree with you on.

Heater
02-22-2009, 01:03
How are people putting up daily posts to trailjournals.com? I'd like to keep the people at home updated but just not sure how that works when your thru-hiking... I know I can stop at librarys... How am I supposed to post pictures? I can't wait to sleep on rocks, this house looks more like a cage everyday :)

For daily posting and updates...

...they are using a smartphone like a palm treo or one of the others on the market. I hear Verizon gives the best coverage but even with that you will get dead zones.

Ramble~On
02-22-2009, 03:12
Enter the PDA/Smartphone/MP3/Camera/Alarm Clock and in some cases radio. The second you find one, buy it and figure out how to use it.....there'll be a new one that'll make your new one look old :-?.

Photos - I don't like to trust one card to hold hundreds of images that are important to me. I'm gonna switch out cards via the mail and a support person.

volleypc
02-22-2009, 14:58
I am doing it with my cell phone (LG Dare). I am not great at texting and I rely heavily on spellcheck which I do not have with the LG Dare, so it is going to be interesting to see how it works out. I am hoping to be able to replace the pictures with better ones taken with my digital camera while in town.