PDA

View Full Version : Maps for the entire trail?

Hermes
02-15-2009, 11:03
I am currious to see how many people have all of the AT maps or what sections are most popular. I have all of new england and would like to buy the maps for the rest of the trail, but it is a lot of money. I know you can get by without them but it would be nice to have.
Any opinions?

Manwich
02-15-2009, 11:08
Opinions on what, oh king of witches? Are you asking if you can get by without them throughout general life? Or a thru-hike? I don't get what you're asking.

$150 - $220 gets you all the maps. Until you have all of them you will not be the "I have every AT Map Master!!!"

Rockhound
02-15-2009, 11:12
They pop up FS here from time time used. You can try EBAY. This thread might get you a nibble.

Marta
02-15-2009, 11:34
When I was section-hiking, I bought the sections I needed. When I planned to thru, I bought the rest. My advice is to put off buying them until you need them, so you get the latest and greatest.

One of the guidebooks will give you info on the whole trail, if you're thinking about jumping around and doing a section far from home.

Hermes
02-15-2009, 12:10
I'm thru hiking in a month, and was just wondering how many fellow thru hikers have purchased all the maps. I am just currious to see how many people bought them all, or which sections, if any, people pass on buying for a thru hike?
Sorry I didn't mention that before. Thanks

Marta
02-15-2009, 12:29
I don't know what percentage of thru-hikers buy maps. There are several contentious threads already on Whiteblaze about whether maps are necessary. Personally I like to have maps, and I bought all of them ahead of time, then had them mailed to me. The couple of times my mail drops got messed up, and I was without area maps, the local outfitters were out of their local maps.

BTW, I bought the maps from the ATC without the accompanying narrative guidebooks, which was usually the cheaper option. Maps plus one of the big three handbooks will tell you just about everything you might want to know, and a fair amount besides.

Good luck on your hike!

rp1790
02-15-2009, 16:15
I'm thru hiking in a month, and was just wondering how many fellow thru hikers have purchased all the maps. I am just currious to see how many people bought them all, or which sections, if any, people pass on buying for a thru hike?
Sorry I didn't mention that before. Thanks

I'm starting 3/22 and did buy the whole set but did think about not buying them. They are the only major reason for needing a bounce box and I'd have preferred to be 100% mail/bounce box free.

Pedaling Fool
02-15-2009, 16:50
I am currious to see how many people have all of the AT maps or what sections are most popular...
No one knows the answer to that, maybe you should start a poll. I did purchase the entire map set, it was only $165 for ATC members, if I recall correctly.

... I know you can get by without them but it would be nice to have...
You can also get by without car insurance.

Maps for the AT are not so much for navigation (although I used them quite a bit for bushwacking). I see them primarily for emergencies, and there are plenty of people on here that have shared real life stories where maps were used.

You can do a thru without maps (many have) you're just taking a chance if you need to get out of the woods real quick. I'm not trying to talk you into buying maps, just doing a little reality check.

Christopher Robin
02-15-2009, 19:10
I got most of mine from Amazon.com with both maps & the book, & if I needed more maps I called A.T.C. and got them in a day or to

YoungMoose
02-15-2009, 19:42
I am buying set by set from the Appalachian Trail conservancy. I am working my way north. SO far I onyl have maine. Long way to go. hehe

Roland
02-15-2009, 20:06
I am buying set by set from the Appalachian Trail conservancy. I am working my way north. SO far I onyl have maine. Long way to go. hehe

This post made me smile.

YoungMoose
02-15-2009, 20:08
This post made me smile.lol why

Tilly
02-15-2009, 20:52
I am thinking about buying certain maps on the trail as I go. I am assuming that they are mostly stocked/available at outfitters along the way?

YoungMoose
02-15-2009, 20:54
I am thinking about buying certain maps on the trail as I go. I am assuming that they are mostly stocked/available at outfitters along the way?
thats a good idea. U better hope though that they arent out of stock.

Blissful
02-15-2009, 21:03
Maps are worth the investment.
You do take a chance they may not be in stock as other hikers are having the same idea as you are of purchasing maps along the way.

Blissful
02-15-2009, 21:05

Smart idea and not waiting at the last minute to plunk down cash. But I would say if you have ME - you are working your way south. :)

George
02-15-2009, 21:30
find out on WB who has the maps then hike close to look at the maps, also ask them to carry bourbon for you to drink

Hikes in Rain
02-15-2009, 21:41
Just came up. Here you go. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46668) :sun

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2009, 10:04
Just came up. Here you go. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46668) :sun
Too late.:sun

ki0eh
02-16-2009, 11:37
Well known, oft forgotten, bears repeating: Buying maps from ATC https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?catid=42&pcatid=0&compid=1 supports the trail you're about to hike.

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2009, 11:40
...and it stimulates the economy:sun

Hikes in Rain
02-16-2009, 13:32
too Late.:sun
D-oh!