PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Boxes - a sort of different question

Dicentra
02-15-2009, 12:38
I'd like to leave some FBC style meals in the hiker box at the Dinsmores (Steven's Pass). I've already spoken to Andrea & Jerry and it is okay with them.

What I'd like to know is what sort of meals hikers would like to find? I know there tends to be a lot of couscous, mac n cheese and instant oatmeal left in the boxes... What is taken/wanted?

I can make just about anything into a trail meal... TONS of ideas, I'm just trying to narrow it down.

Meanwhile, the dehydrator hums... :sun

Dogwood
02-15-2009, 13:31
What R FBC style meals?

seedog
02-15-2009, 13:48
How about surf & turf, twice baked tater, & key lime pie

Hikes in Rain
02-15-2009, 13:51
What R FBC style meals?

FBC = Freezer Bag Cooking. Ingredients go into a freezer bag, add boiling water, seal and insulate for a little while (7 -12 minutes). Open bag, enjoy. Lick spoon and reseal bag, and cleanup is done.

TwoForty
02-15-2009, 14:24
Big portions are always good. Little packets of "food accessories" are also nice. Hot sauce, parmesan cheese, crackers, dressings, etc....

I had a habit of eating the same thing over and over just because it's what was easy to find in stores. So bascially, variety is nice. Something with flavors and ingredients you won't be able to get from resupply stops. I know it's easy to dress up coucous, pasta, and rice at home, but it's hard to buy spices and ingredients at town stops to mix your own stuff up as you go.

And avoid anything that is going to taste too similar to any of the Liptons flavors that are out there!

TwoForty
02-15-2009, 14:25
How about surf & turf
1 packet of Shrimp Ramen
1 packet of Beef Ramen
Mix
Enjoy!

Dicentra
02-15-2009, 15:12
How about surf & turf, twice baked tater, & key lime pie

Can't do key lime pie... but I *do* have a recipe for Margarita Cheesecake! :jump

Dicentra
02-15-2009, 15:15
Big portions are always good. Little packets of "food accessories" are also nice. Hot sauce, parmesan cheese, crackers, dressings, etc....

I had a habit of eating the same thing over and over just because it's what was easy to find in stores. So bascially, variety is nice. Something with flavors and ingredients you won't be able to get from resupply stops. I know it's easy to dress up coucous, pasta, and rice at home, but it's hard to buy spices and ingredients at town stops to mix your own stuff up as you go.

And avoid anything that is going to taste too similar to any of the Liptons flavors that are out there!

That's exactly the info I'm looking for... I was thinking lentils (instant) for starters. Not sure what else yet.

Jeff - you know my food (and the trail!) got any specific suggestions?

SparklesPA
02-16-2009, 15:55
I plan to leave a Trail Magic Box of items to be taken by women hikers ... shampoo, deodorant, hand creme ... etc. What kind of a box would you suggest. Can it be a clear or tinted plastic container, such as Starlite, or can it be a cardboard banker's box?

Is it ok if the contains are visible?

Thanks! :)

Nearly Normal
02-16-2009, 16:22
Kinda like when someone throws a hiker feed at a cross road or trail access for thru hikers only?

Erin
02-16-2009, 21:23
SparklesPA, you angel. Wet wipes for the ladies. We love them. A pouch of 15 will do wonders.

Sly
02-16-2009, 21:29
Anything dehydrated such as ground beef gravel and vegetables to spice up a Lipton's. You only need a tablespoon or two. Make sure to make a sign so no one person grabs them all.

Dicentra
02-16-2009, 21:50
SparklesPA, you angel. Wet wipes for the ladies. We love them. A pouch of 15 will do wonders.

I love love love this idea! (agree 1000%) And I have access to LOTS! I'm putting it on the list! :banana

Dicentra
02-16-2009, 21:52
Anything dehydrated such as ground beef gravel and vegetables to spice up a Lipton's. You only need a tablespoon or two. Make sure to make a sign so no one person grabs them all.

Easily done! I've even got the little pill-a-day ziplocks I can put them in. Thanks for the ideas....

Keep em coming! :)