PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Rocket vs. Simmerlite

soods
02-15-2009, 16:50
I hope I have come to the right place.

I am just wondering if I could get some feedback on the MSR Pocket Rocket and the Simmerlite.

I've read up on both and realize that the Pocket Rocket is lighter and boils quicker (by about a minute...), but 3 ounces and 1 minute is a fine compromise for giving me added security against clumsily knocking my food over. :rolleyes:

I am just wary about the Pocket Rocket's stability with a container on it, and have thoughts of the Simmerlite being a bit more klutz-proof.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for letting me pick your brains.

Brook

stumpy
02-15-2009, 17:09
I have both and like both. I like the pocket rocket for how easy it is to start and put away. I have never really had a problem with stability of either.

I guess that doesn't really hep you much, but that is my 2 cents.

PS- use the pocket rocket more

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2009, 17:15
:welcome to Whiteblaze. You'll likely get many differing opinions on this. We're nothing if not opinionated on stuff around here;).

Just MHO. Kind of two different animals in the stove sense. The pocket rocket is an iso-butane canister and the simmerlite is a white gasoline liquid fuel. Both are good stoves. The pocket rocket is a bit lighter and I'd have to say that it is more klutz proof as well. Screw on the canister, open the valve, light it and cook. No liquid fuel to mess with or spill, no fuel hose, no generator to foul, no gasket to go bad, jets to clog, etc. I've never owned a simmerlite but did own its predecessor the whisperlite. It was a good stove in its day, but I'd have to vote for either a canister or alcohol stove as the way to go these days. No stove is tip proof, and burns are bad, and even more so in the outback. As a result I'm always really careful around any of these small stoves as none of them are great from a stability standpoint, so I've never found that to be a big plus or minus.

Bearpaw
02-15-2009, 17:22
Three advantages of the Windpro ( the cannister version of the Simmerlite) are:

1) Ability to use a wind screen safely, which can't be done with the Pocket Rocket.

2) Wider burner means more even heat distribution throughout a pan if you are actually cooking versus just boiling water.

3) The ability to modify the gas valve so you can turn the cannister upside down and turn it into a liquid burn stove, which allows for better performance in cold weather. I don't claim to understand all the particulars, but Backpackinglight.com offers details of how to safely do so.

That said, unless you often camp below freezing, point 3 is not a big deal. If you generally just do boil and/or simmer meals, point 2 is not much of a player.

If you're worried about the whole stove tipping when using a small cannister, you can buy a cannister stand (http://www.rei.com/product/760635) from Jetboil.

FritztheCat
02-15-2009, 18:20
I use the Titan Kettle with my MSR Pocket Rocket and it has worked fine. Totally understand the klutz-proof question though. The nice thing about the kettle is that I can see each of the three prongs on the stove when the kettle is sitting on it. That way I know it's centered and not likely to tip over. I would be more leary of a pot that covered the prongs as I wouldn't be able to tell if it was properly centered. Nothing like a pot of boiling water falling over to ruin a good day.

sheepdog
02-15-2009, 22:49
If you are just going to boil water, 3 seasons go with the pocket rocket. If you actually want to cook and do some winter camping go with the simmerlite. I have both stoves and they are great for what they were made for.

sasquatch2014
02-15-2009, 23:26
I was in the same situation and opted to go with the simmerlite for a few reasons. I do a lot of my camping when it is below freezing. You become a welcome addition to all the canister stove owners in the winter when they have to hold theirs over your flame to get theirs to work (Wrongway). I liked the stability that it provides never had it tip over once and it has been on some not so even surfaces. I also liked the fact that I could run it on several types of fuel. I don't have to pack, or waste, a half empty canister. I fill up and I am good to go.

Tinker
02-15-2009, 23:36
My PocketRocket was fine for pots up to 2 liters. I used a 3 liter pot on it once on a family hike and it was a little unstable, even with the wider base of the larger, larger capacity cannister. The reason for the instability proved to be the flex in the pot supports. For a solo or duo hike, no problem. Great stove at a good price.
I sold the PR and bought a Vargo Jet Ti. Performance is about the same, but the Vargo has a slightly larger burner and is better for frying bacon and eggs (which I do on rare occasions).
Btw: I believe the Simmerlite's weight is without the fuel bottle. Add the weight of the empty bottle you're most likely to use.
Fwiw: You could start out with the simmerlite and the 22oz. bottle when it's cold and switch to the 11oz. later, or just ship the whole thing home and use alcohol or Esbit in the warmer months. Don't forget that in colder weather most people build a fire and it's a waste of money to use your fuel to cook when there's free heat available in the campfire.

soods
02-16-2009, 01:21
Thanks everyone for the respones! I really appreciate it.

4eyedbuzzard: Thanks! And you're right. If I just think about being a little more careful my entire problem will be solved...

Bearpaw: That canister stand looks like a great solution. Thanks a ton for informing me.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject, I let my friend handle the cooking. However, I'm now hooked on backpacking and want to eventually pick my grandfathers dream of hiking the AT back up for him. But you need your own gear for that...

One newbie question.

So the Simmerlite uses a reusable container that you manually fill with white gas? And on the other hand the Pocket Rocket uses a iso-pro canister that cannot be reused?

Thank you all again for your responses!

Brook

Tinker
02-16-2009, 01:23
Thanks everyone for the respones! I really appreciate it.

4eyedbuzzard: Thanks! And you're right. If I just think about being a little more careful my entire problem will be solved...

Bearpaw: That canister stand looks like a great solution. Thanks a ton for informing me.

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the subject, I let my friend handle the cooking. However, I'm now hooked on backpacking and want to eventually pick my grandfathers dream of hiking the AT back up for him. But you need your own gear for that...

One newbie question.

So the Simmerlite uses a reusable container that you manually fill with white gas? And on the other hand the Pocket Rocket uses a iso-pro canister that cannot be reused?

Thank you all again for your responses!

Brook

Your newbie assessment is correct.

take-a-knee
02-16-2009, 07:44
Another vote for the Windpro over either the Simmerlite or the Pocket Rocket.

soods
02-16-2009, 23:35
Hey take-a-knee.

Would the Windpro fit inside of a 1 liter pot? With a canister?

take-a-knee
02-16-2009, 23:53
Hey take-a-knee.

PM me if I don't get back on this, I'll check. Which pot do you have or are thinking of? I would consider the Windpro a two person stove or a winter (snowmelting) stove. Solo? Alcohol all the way unless you are carrying 10-12 days food/fuel. There is a point somewhere beyond 5-6 days where the weight of the alcohol itself becomes prohibitively heavy, depending on your daily use (which typically goes up as the temp goes down).

CrumbSnatcher
02-17-2009, 00:28
i love my pocket rocket. its lasted a long time. no knowledge of the other stove. good luck

sheepdog
02-17-2009, 10:29
Hey take-a-knee.

I tried it with my MSR titanium pot and a small canister. No good. It will work in a stainless MSR pot 1.5 liter.

SteelReserve
02-17-2009, 11:06
I have used a Pocket Rocket fairly frequently and find it works great. . .except in cold weather. Remember spending about half an hour boiling a liter of water one December evening. Stability seems okay to me, but I am quite careful around it.

soods
02-18-2009, 01:27
PM me if I don't get back on this, I'll check. Which pot do you have or are thinking of? I would consider the Windpro a two person stove or a winter (snowmelting) stove. Solo? Alcohol all the way unless you are carrying 10-12 days food/fuel. There is a point somewhere beyond 5-6 days where the weight of the alcohol itself becomes prohibitively heavy, depending on your daily use (which typically goes up as the temp goes down).

I have a GSI 1.1 liter Ti pot. http://www.rei.com/product/784114
It fits a canister perfectly, circumference wise. It also fits the Pocket Rocket perfectly inside.
I haven't even considered an alcohol. What type of alcohol stove do you use? Homemade?

Thanks for your help.

soods
02-18-2009, 01:30
I have used a Pocket Rocket fairly frequently and find it works great. . .except in cold weather. Remember spending about half an hour boiling a liter of water one December evening. Stability seems okay to me, but I am quite careful around it.

How do you manage to be careful!?!? Us young guns don't know how to do that!! haha.

IceAge
02-19-2009, 11:20
I picked up a little folding canister stand from Brunton at the local REI, it works pretty slick, slightly different from the Jetboil one above.

Looks like this:
http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/2/413//BR-Canstand.jpg

take-a-knee
02-19-2009, 12:43
I have a GSI 1.1 liter Ti pot. http://www.rei.com/product/784114
It fits a canister perfectly, circumference wise. It also fits the Pocket Rocket perfectly inside.
I haven't even considered an alcohol. What type of alcohol stove do you use? Homemade?

Thanks for your help.

The Windpro won't fit inside that pot I don't believe, you'll need a wider/flatter pat like a 1.3 or larger, the Windpro's pot supports are much wider than the Pocket Rocket's. Like I said, I think it is a two man stove.

For alcohol I use an MSR Titan Kettle (0.85L) and a Caldera Cone system from Anti Gravity Gear.

Hooligan
02-19-2009, 15:26

Brook

yeah, the simmerlite has a seperate bottle that you unscrew the cap and pour however much fuel in that you want. I believe (maybe wrongly) the iso-pro canisters are more like a disposable lighter, when it's empty it's useless.

I have been very happy with my simmerlite, but the windscreen is a must with this (it comes w/ one). I use it year round to cook for me, the kids, and the woman, or whatever combination is along.

Morpheus
02-19-2009, 21:23
I switched from a Whisperlight to a Pocket Rocket for size and simplicity. Just take care setting up where you wont knock it or kick it over. If you want too see something wild, stand-up, hold your pocket rocket by the canister, and aim it in front of you. It becomes a 4 ft. flame thrower as liquid fuel is burned instead of the gas.
Unless your trying to evict enemy combatants from caves, DON'T AIM IT AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO INCINERATE!
After trying this I can see why tent cooking could turn into a pyrotechnics show. :-)

soods
02-20-2009, 13:49
For alcohol I use an MSR Titan Kettle (0.85L) and a Caldera Cone system from Anti Gravity Gear.

How durable is the cone part of that system? I guess it's roofing siding??

That system is really impressive.

kyhipo
02-20-2009, 14:39
had my pocket rocket for about 6yrs like it, have had a couple whisperlites,I know its not a simmerlite,but the neck on my pump cracked once,real scary at the time,ky

The Solemates
02-20-2009, 15:18
i have both and like both.

i use the simmerlite for winter camping and for thru-hikes. i use the pocket rocket for any other time.

take-a-knee
02-20-2009, 23:45
How durable is the cone part of that system? I guess it's roofing siding??

That system is really impressive.

Not durable enough you can abuse it, like you said, it is just aluminum flashing. It gets packed inside the pot sticking out, you place a Dixie Cup over the exposed portion. You need a stuffsack that will hold the entire assembly together snugly. Pack it at the top of your pack.

Tinker
02-20-2009, 23:50
had my pocket rocket for about 6yrs like it, have had a couple whisperlites,I know its not a simmerlite,but the neck on my pump cracked once,real scary at the time,ky

I just upgraded my 1986 Whisperlite with the new pump. Seems to be sturdier.

soods
02-21-2009, 02:35
I switched from a Whisperlight to a Pocket Rocket for size and simplicity. Just take care setting up where you wont knock it or kick it over. If you want too see something wild, stand-up, hold your pocket rocket by the canister, and aim it in front of you. It becomes a 4 ft. flame thrower as liquid fuel is burned instead of the gas.
Unless your trying to evict enemy combatants from caves, DON'T AIM IT AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T INTEND TO INCINERATE!
After trying this I can see why tent cooking could turn into a pyrotechnics show. :-)

...you might have just sold me on the pocket rocket...:D

I just tried to make a cat stove tonight. It is pretty nifty. Anybody use one of those?

dradius
02-21-2009, 10:26
I recently joined the pocket rocket club. i almost bought a windscreen for it at the same time i bought the stove. got it home and read the manual and it has a warning to not use a windscreen... glad i didn't buy it, but what's up with that?
also, what are y'alls thoughts on the "1-2 hour burn time" rating for the large msr canisters?
thanks

Tinker
02-21-2009, 10:57
...you might have just sold me on the pocket rocket...:D

I just tried to make a cat stove tonight. It is pretty nifty. Anybody use one of those?

Supercat? Yes. It's my favorite alcohol stove.
Cat? No. Roy "Trail Daddy" Robinson invented that one (made with two cans) I made several a few years back. They're heavier and much less efficient than the Supercat and they require a pot stand.

nitewalker
02-21-2009, 11:31
summer hiking you should use the pocket rocket and for winter hiking * should use a white gas stove like the simmerlite. i prefer the pocket rocket for the simplicity that it provides. i use a wind screen and i have never knocked the rocket over so the stability is just fine. i also used the rocket in temps down to 5* the only thing i had to do was put the isobutane cylinder in my sleeping bag overnite to keep it warm. the iso will not spill in the sleeping bag unless you have a faulty canister...

Nightwalker
02-21-2009, 15:26
1) Ability to use a wind screen safely, which can't be done with the Pocket Rocket.

No disrespect, but you're mistaken. I use a longish foil screen for mine every time I fire it up. You only cover 3 sides, and the foil comes out a good ways from the open side to give more wind protection.

Besides that, the supposed dangers of exploding the tank are being originated by the company that sells the gas. Think about that for a minute. Why would they wnat you to use a screen and use less gas? Using a screen and a Jet Boil GCS pot, my Pocket Rocket lets me cook two meals a day and have three cups of hot tea per day for 6-7 days on a 220 ml Snow Peak canister.

traildesigns
02-22-2009, 02:54
Not durable enough you can abuse it, like you said, it is just aluminum flashing. It gets packed inside the pot sticking out, you place a Dixie Cup over the exposed portion. You need a stuffsack that will hold the entire assembly together snugly. Pack it at the top of your pack.

The Caldera Cone system comes with its own two piece packing tube now called the "Caldera Caddy". It is made out of food grade plastic and can be used as a bowl and a mug.

FYI!

Rand

hootyhoo
03-03-2009, 19:20
No disrespect, but you're mistaken. I use a longish foil screen for mine every time I fire it up. You only cover 3 sides, and the foil comes out a good ways from the open side to give more wind protection.

Besides that, the supposed dangers of exploding the tank are being originated by the company that sells the gas. Think about that for a minute. Why would they wnat you to use a screen and use less gas? Using a screen and a Jet Boil GCS pot, my Pocket Rocket lets me cook two meals a day and have three cups of hot tea per day for 6-7 days on a 220 ml Snow Peak canister.

Thats the most I have ever heard of - your method should be described in another post - it sounds like a super fuel saver. I actually gave up on canisters because of the lack of efficiency and cost of fuel. You might turn things around for me.
How many ounces of water do you boil for 2 meals and 3 cups tea per day?
For me that would equate to 32 for the meals and 24 for the tea. That means that I would need to boil almost 400 ounces of water per canister - I need to hear more about this, Please.

McKeever
03-03-2009, 19:53
[Fwiw: You could start out with the simmerlite and the 22oz. bottle when it's cold and switch to the 11oz. later, or just ship the whole thing home and use alcohol or Esbit in the warmer months. Don't forget that in colder weather most people build a fire and it's a waste of money to use your fuel to cook when there's free heat available in the campfire.[/quote]

Just so you get an overall idea, I have owned a Whipsperlite since they arrived on the market and it has a nozzle for K1 in case you're in a pinch and can't get white gas. Check to see if the gas versions of the stoves you're looking at have k1 nozzles too. I would hesitate to use a canister stove on regular basis for a thru hike.

Nothing burns like an MSR, but they're heavy and sometimes loud. With the price of white gas, I would use a two stove system like mentioned because canisters can have problems in cold temps. Besides, environmentalists don't like canisters because it's added trash to be created and some bad hikers toss them in the woods instead of packing them out. With that said, just use esbit unless you're really cooking allot and need a gas stove. Esbit rules.

chrishowe11
03-06-2009, 14:28
i have a pocket rocket and it is amazing