PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Miles to Maine

JimSproul
05-12-2004, 08:40
I ordered this video (DVD), what I could see was pretty good BUT I could not play most of the tracks. I tried two different DVD players that are used for all kinds of DVD. Still no luck. It hangs up, it skips sections.

I enjoyed a look at trail life but there was a strong negative message to the presentation. You should know that it is NOT a video to show a non-hiking spouse. The early scenes, actually most of the scenes are in rainy cold conditions. Dope smoking is a "high light" as is a discussion of how much partying goes on on the trail, the drunk thru-hikers, hiker that abandons his dog in the woods, etc.......

If any body has an email address for them I would like it. I am going to try and get a new copy, perhaps if I can see more it will have better balance. I won't leave it out for the kids though! My wife, who saw some, things I need a shrink before I can head to Georgia again.

Jaybird
05-12-2004, 09:38
JimSproul

you probably just got a bad pressing of the DVD.
mine works fine. I'm sure the manufacturer will gladly get you another
copy....well worth watching.....

If you havent already...i'd suggest another feature: TREK (available only on
VHS tape @ this time)...it's very good. :D

Jaybird

gravityman
05-12-2004, 10:21
I ordered this video (DVD), what I could see was pretty good BUT I could not play most of the tracks. I tried two different DVD players that are used for all kinds of DVD. Still no luck. It hangs up, it skips sections.

I just got this for my B-day yesterday. Same exact problem - skipping, and finally hanging after about 5 minutes into the main feature. My wife was dissappointed, as it was to be the highlight of the evening. But these things happen...

Just emailed him at [email protected]

Gravity man

rickb
05-12-2004, 10:57
I can't speak with any authority to how well the first part of the movie reflected the true spirit of today's NOBO hikes (I think it probably missed the mark), but it sure was funny!

IMHO, the last part of the movie was far, far better than the first. The second half capture some imortant truths, if not the magic of hiking which is so hard to describe. If I have any concern about the film, its that it might turn off more people to thru hiking than it inspires.

Not that my opinion matters much, but to my way of thinking its great fun for those who have already walked the walk, but may not be best for those who haven't.

And definietly not the best to show a scout troop, or to one's relatives who will be sending off their loved one into the wild ;-).

I enjoyed it, though.

Rick B

2Ply
05-12-2004, 11:18
I purchased a copy at Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap and it had the same problems. I sent them an email and a new one was shiped out the same day. When I got the new one it was worse than the first one, at least I could watch most of the first one. The letter that came with the second one explained they had a batch of bad media and if it did not work they would send out a copy on video. Nice folks to deal with and they seem to want to make it right. :confused:

gravityman
05-12-2004, 12:39
I just got an email saying he will be sending out a new one. I hope this one works!

Gravity man

attroll
05-12-2004, 13:12
If you email or get a hold of Doug the producer he will send you another one. He did have one sesion of burns that were bad he told me. Just let him know and he will give you another one.

JimSproul
05-12-2004, 14:53
Thanks All -

Thanks for the email address. I sent him a note. Yes, you are right, it was pretty funny. My wife did not laugh once though. Hiking in the rain is not a problem, when you have done it. I will be curious to see how my "couch kids" see it.