PDA

View Full Version : Fishing

ibigler5
02-15-2009, 18:50
So I was just wondering if anyone brings fishing gear on the trail and fishes for there source of food...

fiddlehead
02-15-2009, 19:08
Sometimes out west. (where there's way less people and probably just as many fish)
Never have on the AT though. ( I did see rangers out hiding behind bushes already in Maine looking thru binoculars at folks fishing to see if they were using bait already)

If you're thru-hiking, it's hard to find the time. If you're not, go for it.

Mrpokey
02-15-2009, 19:10
I'm thinking about it, a few trout or bluegill for dinner would be fantastic

YoungMoose
02-15-2009, 20:09
i have seen someone fishing near the at on a side trail does that count. it was about 3 miles from the nearest road

Lone Wolf
02-15-2009, 20:11
If you're thru-hiking, it's hard to find the time. If you're not, go for it.

plenty of time to fish on a thru-hike. there ain't no rush

Cabin Fever
02-15-2009, 20:13
Johnny is an expert on backcountry fishing. Even has a book on it. Very interesting guy. www.johnnymolloy.com (http://www.johnnymolloy.com)

ChinMusic
02-15-2009, 20:16
A buddy of mine was backpacking last year (Wyoming?) and a late-season snow blocked the pass to get back. A fairly large group was stuck for a few days with many short on food. My buddy loves to fish and often carries fishing gear.

He looked on the map, found a lake, caught enough fish to feed everyone for the couple days it took for the pass to clear. He happens to win a lot of backpacking cooking contests so I bet they ate in style too.

Grampie
02-16-2009, 09:49
Being a fisherman I brought a few hooks and some mono line on my thru. Fished a couple of times. The best time was on Plesant Pond in Maine. Caught 3 native brook trout and cooked them up for supper. So, if you like to fish, at least bring some hooks and line.:sun

freefall
02-16-2009, 10:00
I've seen everything from some line with a hook to a full rod and tackle set carried by long distance hikers.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2009, 10:00
you can fish for 10 miles NOBO out of damascus if you take the more scenic Creeper trail

Homer&Marje
02-16-2009, 10:08
Never fished on the AT, although I had gear once (Not thru hiking). Had some fantastic rainbow trout out west in California. I was in Kings Canyon with my cousin at I think it was called Rock lake (Creative). It was a 2000 ft ascent from our camp and we fished all day at 9k surrounded by snow tipped mountains. Wish I could get those pictures online but my scanner is not working and I think my father has all the pictures.

Came back to camp with about 8 small trout and made everyones day. I think it was day 5 of our 7 day hike.

For christmas (Kind of a gag gift) but my brother got me a backpacking fishing pole. Made by coleman the rod is telescoping and comes in a 2 oz pen like container. The real is another 4 oz and a real ultralight pole. Works though.

Nearly Normal
02-16-2009, 11:35
So I was just wondering if anyone brings fishing gear on the trail and fishes for there source of food...

Depends on the trail. I don't think I'd would on an AT Thru.
I do twice a year for a few days on the Chattooga River Trail.

Good gear cased makes a differance and include a good fanny pack.

I move camp daily at a planned distance, set up then fish. I never plan on fishing to eat but usually catch enough.

These trips I am camping more than hiking so I go heavy.