PDA

View Full Version : free standing tent vs. non

Celeritas
02-15-2009, 21:42
My question actually doesn't have so much to do with the tents themselves as that I'm wondering whether it will be difficult to set up a non-free-standing tent at any point? Meaning I have to drive stakes in order for my tent to stand up. For example, I'm thinking frozen ground. Is this going to be an issue? I'm planning on starting at the end of March/early April headed North, and I assume the ground is going to be thawing out down South by this time, but I obviously don't have a clue. Anybody who does? Thank you much!

George
02-15-2009, 21:45
not an issue

dmax
02-15-2009, 21:50
If you can't get a stake to go into the ground, tie it to a rock or something simular.

garlic08
02-15-2009, 21:56
The only place you may have problems is up north in NH and ME, where you may have to figure out how to pitch the tent on wood platforms provided at the AMC campsites. Have a great hike.

Celeritas
02-15-2009, 22:05
The only place you may have problems is up north in NH and ME, where you may have to figure out how to pitch the tent on wood platforms provided at the AMC campsites. Have a great hike.

Good point. I'll take that into consideration, thanks!

CrumbSnatcher
02-15-2009, 22:09
i have been using a zoid 2 non- freestanding tent the last few years. it is easy to set up on tent platforms in the whites. the platforms also have hooks all around them for tie-downs. you'll be ok. i cut up my 50ft. cord one year to help for this reason it was a different tent. anyway you'll be fine:D

Frick Frack
02-15-2009, 22:26
We use a Zoid II non freestanding tent as well and I used my spare shoelaces to tie the tent off on the platforms. It was no problem. Excellent tent too

Dogwood
02-15-2009, 22:30
Hey, what's that blowing across the valley down there? I think it's someones freestanding tent that they forgot to stake/anchor down. Had that conversation and scene more than once!

Egads
02-15-2009, 22:35
Took my 10 yo daughter camping at Vogel a few weeks back to play in the snow. Unfortunately, the ground was frozen solid so I only got one tent up & it was a solo. The temps warmed up overnight and the anticipated snow turned into rain. No sledding for us.:(

Jim Adams
02-15-2009, 22:59
the ground can also be too rocky for stakes. freestanding is so much easier.

geek

Tinker
02-16-2009, 01:43
the ground can also be too rocky for stakes. freestanding is so much easier.

geek

Not in wind. Both must be staked.