PDA

View Full Version : taking tent stakes?

beerandpizza
02-15-2009, 23:54
for those of you with free standing tents?

RedneckRye
02-15-2009, 23:59
Last I checked, free standing tents aren't free standing.

At least if you want them stretched out to their full size.
Or if you want them to stay where you put them once the wind begins to blow.
Or you don't mind the rain fly lying flat against the tent.
Or you don't want the vestibule space.

If all of that is fine, then it is a great idea to leave the stakes at home and save an ounce or two

Tinker
02-16-2009, 00:12
One of the saddest things I've seen in my hiking years is folks with freestanding tents (even four season models) with broken poles because they didn't stake their tents securely in wind. They're more convenient to use in calm conditions, especially on wooden tent platforms, but, like all tents, they need to be staked well in stormy conditions.
Stakes like the MSR Groundhog and Golites are good for the high stress upper areas of the tent, aluminum shepherd hook stakes (the best I've found are the ones from Kelty, octagonal cross section) can be used for areas of lower wind load.
Titanium wire-type stakes are generally too thin to hold anything other than the floor corners in the typical loose soil and duff of the AT.

Blissful
02-16-2009, 00:25
Stakes are need for wind and for the vestibule, usually.

TD55
02-16-2009, 00:49
Start with the ones that come with the tent, but you will probably be able to find better ones along the way. People are always forgetting them at tent sites. I carry a couple of hefty ones, the big plastic jobs, and one alum. one that doubles as a small shovel (real small). The little light wieght ones don't always do the job on soft or sandy soil by themselves.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 00:58
I guess the plastic ones are better now than the "Power Pegs" I used to use in the '80s. I used to break them on rocks on a regular basis. When they get old that's more of a problem - the plastic degrageds and becomes more brittle. Plus you can't use them for pot supports.

beerandpizza
02-16-2009, 10:31
Start with the ones that come with the tent, but you will probably be able to find better ones along the way. People are always forgetting them at tent sites. I carry a couple of hefty ones, the big plastic jobs, and one alum. one that doubles as a small shovel (real small). The little light wieght ones don't always do the job on soft or sandy soil by themselves.

i guess thats true...there is an outfitter just up the trail to get better ones if those aren't working out

TrippinBTM
02-16-2009, 22:31
You can always whittle some tent stakes in camp from sticks if you're really against carrying the weight. Costs nothing. Use down wood, don't hack the trees.

But you do need stakes for your rain fly. And for windy times (which will usually mean you need the fly on anyways, since wind associates with storms.)

barefoot
02-17-2009, 13:06
I have started to carry gutter nails. Light. Strong. Has a nail head good for straps/guidelines.

thunderrolls
02-17-2009, 13:11
I have started to carry gutter nails. Light. Strong. Has a nail head good for straps/guidelines.

Never thought of that... great idea.

Yea I think there are other things you can sacrifice for weight. Take the stakes.

Dogwood
02-17-2009, 15:49
U might get away w/ it most of the time because U can find something else to anchor down to, but in the event that U don't, take the tent stakes. So many reasons to, but RedneckRye in post #2 names at least 3 excellent reasons. If U R considering leaving the stakes at home because of their wt.(a whopping 2-3 oz) I will bet U that U have so many other areas in your hiking set-up that would be easier and make more sense to drop the 2-3 ozs from. If U R concerned about cheap heavy steel tent stakes swap them out for MSR aluminum square pin stakes or titanium stakes at .22 -.24 oz per stake.