PDA

View Full Version : My 09 Pack List - chew it up and spit it out!

lizzieGAME09
02-16-2009, 11:42
Please, whiteblaze community, have at my gear list. Do what you do best!

I hit the trail on March 29th, departing from Springer. I've got a hiking partner that's sharing the weight of our tent, water filtration and kitchen stuff - marked with "shared wt". I wish I had all the weights listed but I haven't had the chance - hope you'll overlook that.

PACK LIST

CLOTHING
Outdoor Research Palisade Rain Jacket
Sierra Designs Isotope Jacket (bounce box, for when it gets hot)
REI Muir Woods Fleece Jacket
Swix Universal Pants (might switch to convertible pants to cover this and shorts)
Cloudveil River Shorts
Champion vest - synthetic puffy
Buff headband
ExOfficio Women's ExO Dri Pointelle Tee
Reebok UV PlayDry Tshirt
Nike Dri-FIT Pro Fitted Tshirt
Men's light merino wool sweater
Scrubs to sleep in
Underwear (3)
Sports Bra
Fleece Gloves
Fleece Hat (also pot cozy)
Long underwear pants (haven't gotten yet - either capilene or wool)

KITCHEN
MSR MiniWorks EX Microfilter (Shared wt)
MSR Cloudliner 2L water bladder
MSR Sweetwater chlorine Solution
REI Chefware Spork
Pop Can Stove
Aluminum Grease Pot from target
Windscreen
Bic Lighter
Fuel Bottle (pop bottle)
1Li Gatorade Bottle
Lemonade Mix Container (Bowl)

FOOTWEAR
Wrightsock Double Layer Lite Socks (1)
Darn Tough 1/4 Sock Cushion (2)
Smartwool sleep socks (1)
Montrail Hardrocks trail runners
Knockoff Crocs- airwalk from payless

MISC
REI MultiTowel Lite
REI Summit Trekking Poles
Homemade First Aid Kit (ziplock)
iPhone G3 + Charger
Extra phone battery
Ziplock Wallet
Hand Sanitizer
Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp
Dr Bronners Peppermint Soap
No Rinse Shampoo
Buck Metro Knife
Bandana
Snap Watch
Digital Camear
Stick Pic
TP in ziplock
Wipes
50' ft parachute cord
Few sheets of paper and mechanical pencil

PACK
Osprey Ariel 65
Added Campmor Hip Belt Pouch
Just Jeff's Homemade Pack cover/Hanging bear bag
Homemade Sil-nylong Stuff Sacks
Trash Compactor Bag Liner

SLEEP GEAR
REI Sub Kilo +15 Down
Army Poncho Liner
ThermaRest Women's Trail Lite

TENT
TarpTent Double Rainbow (Shared wt)
Tyvek Groundsheet (Shared wt)
Stakes
Tent Poles

GUIDEBOOK
ALDHA 09 Guidebook (cut in two for bounce box - Shared wt)
Appalachain Pages (cut in two - Shared wt)

CONSUMABLES
Food (2lb/day for ~ 4 days)
Salt/pepper packets from fast food
Small All-Spice
Water (2 liter/day for 4 days)
Denatured Alcohol (2 oz/day for 10 days)

:)

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2009, 12:00
Seems like a lot of extra clothing.
Take one guidebook or the other, not both.
Is the poncho liner really needed?
Compass? Maps? Sunscreen? Bug Repellent? Tweezers or tick removal device?
2oz of alcohol per day may not be enough if the weather is cold and windy(wind kills stove efficiency even with a screen), and April can be mighty cold and windy at higher elevations.

mountain squid
02-16-2009, 12:06
Some observations:

sweater, fleece jacket, rain jacket, vest - will you ever wear at the same time? - if not, probably overkill
is that water bladder with a hydration tube for drinking on the go?
sleep in shorts instead of scrubs
leave lemonade mix container at home
needle for draining blisters
leave shampoo at home - use Dr B's if absolutely necessary (and it probably won't be)
Army poncho liner?
how do you share tyvek groundsheet weight?
does that knife have tweezers/scissors (for pulling ticks/cutting nails)?
maps
whistle
toothbrush and toothpaste
sunscreen (no leaves on trees)
ear plugs
duct tape
Companion OR Appalachian Pages - you can carry one, partner carry other

About sharing gear - be absolutely certain that will work for you and be prepared for when it wont.

And, of course, don't forget ATM/ID/credit cards.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Sue_Bird
02-16-2009, 12:30
draining blisters? My understanding is that you want to avoid doing that (rationale: blisters are the body's defense against friction and draining them goes in the same category as popping pimples/abscesses...it may seem like you're eliminating the problem, but making an entry into your skin for bacteria makes it more likely that you'll end up with a bigger problem, like a huge abscess or an infected foot.)

just my two nursing cents.

George
02-16-2009, 13:06
If you are willing to stop walking maybe do not pop the blister if you are going to keep walking (who does not)better to have one small hole than the skin ripped away. I have gotten away from the issue by using very light flexible mesh runners

bloodmountainman
02-16-2009, 13:11
Throw some stuff out of the Clothing, Misc., and Kitchen columns.

lizzieGAME09
02-16-2009, 13:12
Thanks, all!

Clothes = will definitely be more choosey. Too many.

>is that water bladder with a hydration tube for drinking on the go?
Yes

sleep in shorts instead of scrubs
>I wanted to keep the bag clean and hoped the scrubs would help since I dont have a bag liner

>leave lemonade mix container at home
I'm going to use it as a bowl since we're sharing the pot

>needle for draining blisters
In the first aid kit, along with tweezers and clippers

>leave shampoo at home - use Dr B's if absolutely necessary (and it probably won't be)
...ok, but my trail name will soon be: red puffy ball frizzy head

>Army poncho liner?
chucking it in. thought it'd make a good liner

>how do you share tyvek groundsheet weight?
should've been more clear: he carries some of the tent weight and so will I - he might have the stakes, I'll have the groundsheet.

>maps
Thought the guidebook would suffice?

>guidebooks
He'll carry one, I'll carry the other. Both will be cut in half and bounce boxed

>whistle
part of the sternum strap

>toothbrush and toothpaste
Forgot to list - got kid sized

>sunscreen (no leaves on trees)
I figured by April that'd be less of a problem but i'll need it. i'm pasty white.

>ear plugs
will consider it

>duct tape
Oops forgot - wrapped around the water bottle

>And, of course, don't forget ATM/ID/credit cards.
Forgot again- in a ziplock wallet.

This is great!

mountain squid
02-16-2009, 13:15
It probably is best to allow a blister to heal on its own. However, on a long distance hike, that might not be possible. In the field, you might have to do some first aid which might include draining a blister (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/footandankleinjuries/a/Blisters.htm) with a needle.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

John B
02-16-2009, 13:20
You don't say how much Dr Bronner's you're carrying, but if you've never used it before, a little goes a very, very long way.

You've forgotten maybe the single most important item of all -- ear plugs. I promise you that at some point you will stay in a shelter or hostel, and when you do there is a 99% chance that you'll be next to a human chainsaw.

Other than the joy you'll get from untangling 50' of cord, personally I've never found use for more than 30', and even that's generous.

Unless you want a job as a carnival worker after your hike, don't forget toothbrush, paste, and to be really kind to your teeth, floss (you don't have to take the entire container -- just unspool X'.

Some duct tape would be nice, maybe wrapped around a tent or hiking pole.

That's not much alcohol at all. You doing just one boil per day? Have you tested how much alcohol it takes to boil a cup or so in windy, cold conditions?

Appropriate maps would be nice, too. At least they'll give you something to burn for warmth if you get lost.

Enjoy the hike!

George
02-16-2009, 13:23
You are close enough now go on out and start, 30 days of distance hiking will tell you more about what you need for your style than a year on WB after that it becomes a matter of what you are willing to do without and no one can tell you that

lizzieGAME09
02-16-2009, 13:36
Hi George! Great to hear from another Illinoisian! I'm in Springfield but I'm from Burbank on the southwest side by Midway airport.

George
02-16-2009, 13:49
A few hikers around but not much of a community I went last week with an Indiana group to C. Deam wilderness a very nice set up

BrianLe
02-16-2009, 14:14
"I've got a hiking partner that's sharing the weight of our tent, water filtration and kitchen stuff "

I hiked for a while last year with a fellow whose wife decided after a few hundred miles that she liked section hiking, but really long range trips weren't here cup of tea. So he was carrying a two person tent, larger pot than he needed, etc etc.

So I really agree with Mt. Squid. All sorts of things can happen on a long trail to either cause one person to leave the trail or for the group to split up. The latter case is even tougher to deal with as you wouldn't both have all the gear needed.

OTOH, lots of people share gear and go the whole trip together, I'm not predicting inevitable disaster. The more you both have experience at doing long hiking trips together, the better I would feel about the "share gear" plan.

Yet another OTOH, some people intentionally take a 2-person tent as a solo trip, they like the space to spread out, so who knows, if your partner leaves the trail, maybe you would be happy carrying all the "shared gear" by your self.

Amount of fuel: of course the amount you carry depends on how many times you cook during the day, whether you feel like you have to bring your water to a full boil or just get it towards the hot side of "warm", and how efficient your stove is. You'll figure out on the trail how much you need to carry, maybe carry a little extra to start with, or have foods that you can choke down cold.

Some people would leave the crocs at home. Unless your normal shoes/boots are horribly uncomfortable (in which case, fix that ...) this might not be weight worth carrying. Of course this, like a lot of gear choices, is another thing you can adjust on the trail, and is very much an individual preference thing.

lizzieGAME09
02-16-2009, 16:41
Brian- that's great advice. It's more likely I'll be the one continuing on and he'll quit! Just kidding of course (he could be reading this!) :) The two of us have traveled extensively together and - amazingly - seem to tolerate each other even through the toughest times. It is something we are going to have to consider in making our final gear choices, though.

As for the tent, we did pick one we hoped wouldnt be too burdensome if that did happen - the tarptent is only 40 ounces, which is comparable to other solo tents.

Wags
02-16-2009, 17:19
ExOfficio Women's ExO Dri Pointelle Tee
Reebok UV PlayDry Tshirt
Nike Dri-FIT Pro Fitted Tshirt

aren't these 3 of the same thing? maybe the ExO is long sleeved. anyway i'd dump 1 of the t shirts

Durgon
02-16-2009, 19:24
Long time lurker here. 09 NOBO

I read the other day on another post about how two people hiking together might not want to eat the same thing and the same time. Each having their own setup could save an argument or two. Heres a light weight cheap stove idea.

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

-Durgon

hopefulhiker
02-16-2009, 19:28
Don't forget earplugs!

theinfamousj
02-16-2009, 20:04
Scrubs to sleep in

Don't let anyone talk you out of bringing scrubs if you really want to. Sure, they are cotton, but they dry quicker than my underarmor or wicking socks. I always hike with a pair for sleep/camp wear and cannot speak highly enough about the experience. Plus it gives you something to wear when doing laundry.

REI Summit Trekking Poles

Another great product that I hike with.

Few sheets of paper and mechanical pencil

A wooden pencil is better because not only is it a multi-use item, but you can sharpen it with your knife and thus its weight will diminish as you use it.

REI Sub Kilo +15 Down

I think that you and I are secretly the same person due to our similar taste in gear. This opens up well to become a quilt during hot summer months.

Army Poncho Liner

You won't need it with the bag and pad combo. The boyfriend won't leave home without his, so I've always had a wubbie along as backup on my latest outings, but even in the wintery bowels of January, the bag and pad combo has been enough to keep me warm.

Wags
02-16-2009, 23:23
scrubs aren't always cotton. my girl's has a few pairs that are poly

lizzieGAME09
02-17-2009, 09:51
Update:

keeping the scrub bottoms
the nike shirt is a long sleeve baselayer (the other two are shortsleeve)
taking a regular pencil (hadn't thought about sharpening it)
ditching the poncho liner. i guess i'm afraid of being very cold at night!
and adding earplugs, since that seems to be strong advice.

mountain squid
02-20-2009, 10:50
>maps
Thought the guidebook would suffice?

>sunscreen (no leaves on trees)
I figured by April that'd be less of a problem but i'll need it. i'm pasty white.
The guidebooks contain town maps. Some of them do contain elevation profiles, but not actual topographic maps. If you become disoriented and wander off the trail (ie. going to water source, inadvertently following an animal path, sometimes you'll follow a 'footpath' that the previous 250 hikers created that leads nowhere, going to relieve yourself, a trail intersection with no visible blazes, etc, etc, etc), is when you might need actual maps. Just some thoughts on the importance of maps...

Definitely don't forget the sunscreen (even in April):sun.

You might consider a sleeping bag liner (http://www.jagbags.co.nz/products.htm), since you mentioned keeping sleeping bag clean and fear of being very cold. I cannot definitely say that a liner will add 'X' degrees of warmth, but it probably adds some and it will help keep your bag clean. Just something else to consider...

Anyway, Good Luck, rpbfh (red puffy ball frizzy head)!

See you on the trail,
mt squid