PDA

View Full Version : Target.Com Tarp & Hammock

frisbeefreek
02-16-2009, 11:50
I saw this Tarp-Tent and also a Tarp-Hammock on Target.com today (search for "Crazy Tarp" if the URL doesn't work). 70D Ripstop Nylon tarp-tent for $40 includes beak, rope, and stakes.

It looks like it might be a great way for a beginner to experience Tarping & Hammocking.

They claim the floor dimensions are 77"x104" (no height stated). Estimated ship weight is 1.85lbs for the tarp (Campmore has a 7x9 70D tarp that weighs 20oz, so that's the general ballpark).

Durability is the obvious concern. Anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.target.com/Crazy-Tarp-Royal-Blue/dp/B0000ZJ6UK/sr=1-1/qid=1234798405/ref=sr_1_1/175-4846530-1473340?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Acrazy%20tarp&page=1

http://www.target.com/Crazy-Crib-Tarp-Forest-Green/dp/B0000E0GVS/sr=1-2/qid=1234798405/ref=sr_1_2/175-4846530-1473340?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Acrazy%20tarp&page=1

Blissful
02-16-2009, 11:53
Well like most things, you probably get what you pay for durability-wise.
:)

Tinker
02-16-2009, 11:56
Here's Crazy Creek's website:

http://www.crazycreek.com/

They're not sought after by go-lighters, but the designs have been copied by many folks. Basically, it's a Jardine tarp. The hammock is coated, which would make it good for a groundcloth if the need arose, but it would be hotter in the summer as no breezes could penetrate the material.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 11:58
As far as beaks on hammock tarps, I find them useless as they force you to pitch your tarp higher than necessary over your hammock, making them non-functional. If you could thread your hammock support ropes (or straps) through the beak near the apex, they would be very helpful in fending off wind driven rain or snow.

frisbeefreek
02-16-2009, 12:15
Tinker - Any thoughts on the Tarp alone (I'm a ground guy myself)? Mostly I wonder about the durability of the grommets/tie-outs.

I'm willing to shell out $40 for an experiment, unless some WB'ers have some negative experiences.

boarstone
02-16-2009, 12:25
I prefer parachute material for hammock for durability, rather than of nylon...
I prefer waterproof material for a tarp than water resistant of silnylon/nylon WR treated.
Campmor nylon tarapaulin ground cloths is what I've had success w/for a tarp w/my hammock setup. I'll carry extra ozs. for waterproofness/durability which these cloths provide.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 12:26
Tinker - Any thoughts on the Tarp alone (I'm a ground guy myself)? Mostly I wonder about the durability of the grommets/tie-outs.

I'm willing to shell out $40 for an experiment, unless some WB'ers have some negative experiences.

I would say it's probably well worth the $40.00. If you get a silnylon one later it could be your car-camping tarp.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 12:37
I prefer parachute material for hammock for durability, rather than of nylon...
I prefer waterproof material for a tarp than water resistant of silnylon/nylon WR treated.
Campmor nylon tarapaulin ground cloths is what I've had success w/for a tarp w/my hammock setup. I'll carry extra ozs. for waterproofness/durability which these cloths provide.

Silnylon is fine for a tarp. It doesn't stretch any more than coated taffeta or ripstop of the same weight.
"nylon WR treated" probably refers to DWR (Durable Water Repellent) treated. DWR really does nothing but cause water to bead up on the surface of fabrics. It will eventually soak in until it hits the coating (usually polyurethane) on the underside. DWR's wear off rather quickly, then you will notice "sheeting" of water (it no longer forms droplets that roll off). Waterproof-breathable fabrics need a good DWR treatment to work, as internal moisture vapor can't permeate the fabric if water has "sheeted" on the outside. On a tarp it neither helps nor hinders the waterproofness.
Parachutes are made of nylon. So are sailing spinnakers and kite fabrics. Nylon is stronger per weight than polyester, so it's used in lightweight tents, tarps, etc. more often than polyester.
By "parachute material" I believe you're referring to ripstop?

Frisbeefreek is new to hiking, I believe, from his statements, so I wanted to clarify the above.

Tennessee Viking
02-16-2009, 13:39
As a Target employee, a lot of things on Target.com are junk. A lot of it is stuff that Amazon.com hosts as well, a lot of cheap built knock offs.

The stuff we have in the stores are only good enough to do car camping. I have tried to pack a Coleman sleeping bag and Greatland mat...talk about heavy.

Heater
02-16-2009, 13:45
See the Walmart threads... Same thing.

frisbeefreek
02-16-2009, 14:02
Guys-Thanks. I know you get what you pay for (noted above). I just wonder, other than the tie-outs (either cheap grommets or cheap stitching), how else you can screw up a tarp?

Anyway--Thanks to all. I have a reliable SD Lightyear that I use, but I think I'll try this tarp, and mail one or the other home. If I fall in love with the tarp, I can upgrade to something from a reputable brand when it breaks.

Cheers-FF

Tinker
02-16-2009, 14:13
Guys-Thanks. I know you get what you pay for (noted above). I just wonder, other than the tie-outs (either cheap grommets or cheap stitching), how else you can screw up a tarp?

Anyway--Thanks to all. I have a reliable SD Lightyear that I use, but I think I'll try this tarp, and mail one or the other home. If I fall in love with the tarp, I can upgrade to something from a reputable brand when it breaks.

Cheers-FF
The components that make up any sewn item include:
1) Fabric - there are lots of variables. Cheap nylon is loosely woven of heavy threads (who knows the chemical makeup of the nylon itself?) which might not be uniform in diameter, contributing to a weak fabric.
2) Thread - Nylon, Dacron, Cotton, a mix? Cheap junk or well made?
3) Fittings - On a tarp - what is the quality of the nylon webbing (ie: how light or heavy is it? Is it tightly woven or loose junk? Grommets, snaps, etc. - all variables.
4) Workmanship: Stitching - does the thread (if good quality) have the right number of stitches per inch for the fabric used? Is it the right diameter? Are the seams/tieouts stitched with enough rows of stitching to insure proper reinforcement. Are there reinforcing layers of fabric at the stitch points? How are the seams joined? - there are a number of methods, some better than others.
So, you see, there's more to a simple piece of gear than meets the (untrained) eye.

SGT Rock
02-16-2009, 18:39
I tried one of their hammocks as a product tester. Started falling apart on the first outing. I sent the company an e-mail asking for information or if they wanted me to send it back for a fix - apparently they decided to end the product test because everyone involved got instructions to send them back to the company.

I wouldn't waste my money.

Quoddy
02-16-2009, 18:52
Even if the tarp was of good quality it would be too short for almost any hammock use. at 8'8" it wouldn't come close to the ends of my Speer hammock. As far as the hammock goes... from the photo it looks like a copy of the bridge, but without the spreaders, which means getting squeezed once in it.

Deb
02-25-2009, 18:23
I decided to order this tarp. I'm going to make a Bilgy-style tarp tent out of it.

I think it's a lot for $40: coated rip-stop nylon, waterproof taped seams. The workmanship on the tarp is perfect. There are 16 tie-out loops, including two interior ones and two on each side for guy-outs. It came with line, stakes and a stuff bag. Those three things together weigh 7.5 oz. I will only need a fraction of the line.
The six aluminum stakes (three-faceted) are of good quality and weigh 2.5 oz. total.
The tarp alone comes in right around 20 oz. Both ends have beaks.

The only shortcoming is that it's a little narrow width-wise for a tarp tent, but I am not very big, so it will work.

frisbeefreek
02-25-2009, 19:28
Deb--Can you post an update after a few nights out (especially in the rain - or test in a shower).

I'm hitting the AT next week with my Sierra Designs Lightyear, mostly because I haven't tarp-tented before, but also because I value some extra weather protection during March. My tent fly weighs 18oz, so I could swap this tarp into my bag with no penalty (might have to jury-rig the guy lines), and then experiment as needed.

Thanks-FF