PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike

bozzy
02-16-2009, 13:48
Hope this is the right section to ask this. Taking a section from Grayson Highlands state Park (massy gap) to Atkins, va. In the data book it lists I-81 as being road access. Plan on being picked up right beside the interstate. Does the trail pass right by I-81, would it be easy to find? Plan on visiting a Damascus outfitters for maps. My 65 yr old father is going as well, so is it a hard trek? Thanks for any info, holiday today and too cold to et out.

mountain squid
02-16-2009, 14:05
It is actually the Groseclose exit off of I81. The trail goes underneath the interstate.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

bozzy
02-16-2009, 14:22
Thanks Mt. Squid, I'll take a drive up their before I take the hike and check it out.

Lone Wolf
02-16-2009, 14:23
Exit 54

bozzy
02-16-2009, 14:58
appreciate ya wolf

Blissful
02-16-2009, 16:09
Nice section. Not sure if the Settler museum will be open when you go (?), hope so as it's interesting. And they are kind to hikers there.

Skyline
02-16-2009, 16:23
Hope this is the right section to ask this. Taking a section from Grayson Highlands state Park (massy gap) to Atkins, va. In the data book it lists I-81 as being road access. Plan on being picked up right beside the interstate. Does the trail pass right by I-81, would it be easy to find? Plan on visiting a Damascus outfitters for maps. My 65 yr old father is going as well, so is it a hard trek? Thanks for any info, holiday today and too cold to et out.

Not terribly difficult terrain, tho there is definite elevation change. I'd be more concerned about the possibility of bad weather in the High Country (basically Massie Gap to where the AT begins descending after intersecting the Pine Mt. Trail). Some of it is quite exposed, and weather can change quickly for better or worse. Dress and pack for success.