PDA

View Full Version : campsite question

RevoRunner
02-16-2009, 18:24
Hey guys... new to the forum. Planning a trip later this month and part of that trip means a night stay at campsite 38 (Mt. Sterling). Made the reservations and the person said the site was almost to capacity. What exactly happens when the site is full? Just grin and bear it and pitch somewhere else?

I know Mt. Sterling is colder than surrounding areas. What is a good city to gauge the temps and how much lower do you accommodate for areas such as Mt. Sterling?

Thanks for any and all help.

Ox97GaMe
02-16-2009, 18:51
There is not much room for camping on Sterling; maybe 4 or 5 tents total. You cant just camp anywhere you want if the campsite is full. If you have a permit, with a valid reservation number, you are good.

As for cities to guage temps... Closest would be Waynesville or Canton NC. Subtract about 15-20 degrees and you will be fairly close to base temps. But, Sterling is also a windy location most times. This could account for another 20-25 degrees lost to wind chill factor. Mt Sterlling will have similar weather as Clingman's Dome, if you can find that information for the days you will be there.

Dogwood
02-16-2009, 21:39
If the shelter doesn't have space for U and U have a permit/reservation for that night the rangers could have overbooked the shelter or someone could be their without a permit. I would casually ask if everyone has their permit to stay there that night. From that pt. it's up to U what U want to do, but in case of overflow U R allowed to camp legally right outside the shelter in semi-established campsites. I doubt space inside the shelter will be a problem though.

elray
02-16-2009, 22:03
Mt. Sterling is typical of many of the back country sites in the Smokies and is really ill defined. There isn't a lot of flat ground to set up on except over by the bear cable. I haven't been there in couple of years but I assume that you can still get into the fire tower, a nice place to have your supper weather permitting. Have a good hike!

Egads
02-16-2009, 22:08
There are no shelters at Mt Sterling. There are a few tent sites at the clearing, a few more further South, & more West of the clearing.

I use NOAA for point forecasts in GSMNP
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=GSP&llon=-84.057083&rlon=-83.057083&tlat=35.980417&blat=34.982917&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=157&map.y=93

SGT Rock
02-16-2009, 22:16
If the shelter doesn't have space for U and U have a permit/reservation for that night the rangers could have overbooked the shelter or someone could be their without a permit. I would casually ask if everyone has their permit to stay there that night. From that pt. it's up to U what U want to do, but in case of overflow U R allowed to camp legally right outside the shelter in semi-established campsites. I doubt space inside the shelter will be a problem though.
There is no shelter there. It is a reservation only campsite off of the AT by quite a few miles. Also, if you check the GSMNP reg - only AT thru-hikers are allowed to camp outside of the shelter when the shelter is full (if that even applied in this case).

And could you stop using U instead of you and R instead of are. It's a board not a text message.

sliderule
02-16-2009, 22:31
What exactly happens when the site is full? Just grin and bear it and pitch somewhere else?

There is plenty of room on Mt. Sterling. No need to worry. Take a large water bag, though. The spring is quite a walk.

I know Mt. Sterling is colder than surrounding areas. What is a good city to gauge the temps and how much lower do you accommodate for areas such as Mt. Sterling?

Take a look at Mt Leconte and Newfound Gap.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX&versions=8

OldStormcrow
02-17-2009, 10:23
The spring is 7/10 of a mile back down the mountain from the campsites. Beware of rotten flooring in the tower....it's pretty rickety.

Ashepabst
02-17-2009, 10:52
Hey guys... new to the forum. Planning a trip later this month and part of that trip means a night stay at campsite 38 (Mt. Sterling). Made the reservations and the person said the site was almost to capacity. What exactly happens when the site is full? Just grin and bear it and pitch somewhere else?

the area in the clearing around the tower will probably fill up first. just south of the tower you'll see a horse hitch and some side trails leading into the forest -- there are at least a few good sites in there. you'll probably have a little more privacy over there anyways.

flemdawg1
02-17-2009, 14:12
There is plenty of room on Mt. Sterling. No need to worry. Take a large water bag, though. The spring is quite a walk.

Take a look at Mt Leconte and Newfound Gap.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=MRXRTPMRX&versions=8

The spring is 7/10 of a mile back down the mountain from the campsites. Beware of rotten flooring in the tower....it's pretty rickety.

Which direction is the spring, I'm coming up from the West side? And where's the water source for campsite 37 (lower Walnut Bottoms) or is it really close to Big Creek?

Gray Blazer
02-17-2009, 14:26
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16047&c=member&imageuser=6217

If I did this right, you should see a tower eye view of #38.
Walnut Bottoms is right on Big Creek.

RevoRunner
02-17-2009, 14:27
the area in the clearing around the tower will probably fill up first. just south of the tower you'll see a horse hitch and some side trails leading into the forest -- there are at least a few good sites in there. you'll probably have a little more privacy over there anyways.

Thanks for that info. I think I need to stay out of the clearing anyhow since I'm going to be in a hammock. Privacy is a plus too.

Gray Blazer
02-17-2009, 14:29
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=20225&catid=member&imageuser=6217
Here is a view of Mt. Sterling from Snowbird/Wildcat Top.

flemdawg1
02-17-2009, 15:25
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=16047&c=member&imageuser=6217

If I did this right, you should see a tower eye view of #38.
Walnut Bottoms is right on Big Creek.

Is the spring in that Photo? :confused:

Gray Blazer
02-17-2009, 15:27
The spring is way down the hill on the upper righthand corner.

flemdawg1
02-17-2009, 15:37
Thanks!