PDA

View Full Version : Moved from Straight Forward: Do The Dirty

ibigler5
02-16-2009, 21:37
So my question is when hiking on the trail, if you have to go #2, where do you go? And how? And #1, I'm assuming you just pick a tree right?

please only serious posts

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2009, 21:40
Only serious posts... that's impossible

Just go in the woods away from water.

Tinker
02-16-2009, 21:47
Away from water, far away from the shelter (if any), and preferably not in a level spot large enough for a tent. Someone may want to use your latrine as a tentsite later. Bury waste at least 6" deep after taking a stick and poking the paper into the middle of it.

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2009, 21:54
Easiest is to use a privy. But, that only usually works if you're near a shelter. Otherwise: Deposit solid human waste in catholes dug six to eight inches, at least 200 feet from water, camp and trails. Pack out toilet paper and hygiene products. To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from streams or lakes and use small amounts of biodegradable soap. Scatter strained dishwater. - this info per AMC. P.S. Don't pee near water sources either.

You'll hear other similar versions. Some bury their paper, but current LNT(leave no trace) proceedure is to pack out TP in a zip lock. Sometimes you can't dig a cathole 6" deep - in that case dig as dep as possible and cover your H. sapien scat with leaves and forest debris. Otherwise, especially above treeline where there may be no soil, put it in a ziplock and pack it out. Don't wash yourself or dishes in streams/lakes. Don't spit toothpaste around water sources either.

theinfamousj
02-16-2009, 21:56
Someone on this site once suggested that you let your feces fall where it may, then dig your hole afterwords and push the pile in. And then mark it with an x of sticks.

Ever since I first read that tip, that is what I've been doing. My aim with my backside isn't so great, so this really helps.

kythruhiker
02-16-2009, 22:08
Pro-tip: If approached by other hikers while in the process of #2, quickly throw your hiker skirt or man-kilt over your head, to decrease the odds of being identified and mocked at the next shelter/trail town/whiteblaze website.

Dig a hole, squat, do your business, wipe, fill up hole, hike on. Avoid doing this anywhere near a water source or in the middle of the trail...Avoid poison ivy as wiping material. Consider anti-bacterial hand gel usage prior to next handful of gorp.

Tractor
02-16-2009, 22:09
Oh yes. If you happen to wish to make use of fallen trees DO scope out under those before starting the process. I almost shat on a rattlesnake once. Now it was far from funny at the time but I couldn't help but laugh a few miles away thinking about that old joke..... and I found I really didn't have to go all that bad afterall.

sticks&stones
02-16-2009, 22:13
don't forget a dollop of hand sanitizer after your done.

fiddlehead
02-16-2009, 22:18
bury, bury, bury, the deeper the better.

If you can't dig a hole cause it's too rocky, lift a rock and dig a hole under it. replace, dirt, duff and rock

Please don't act like the French (or the Nepali's, Tibetans), and go above ground. That was the ugliest part of the Pyrenees hike.

To me, this is an important part of the AT (or any hike) experience and I'd hate for people to get the idea that you just go wherever.............NOT cCOOL!

waywardfool
02-16-2009, 22:46
And PLEASE don't do this....

On two separate occasions over the years, I have found poop IN the spring at a shelter area. Both times, we cleaned and "flushed" it out as good as possible, and posted a note at the shelter for others. And THAT's why I always treat my water.

Slosteppin
02-16-2009, 22:48
There is a whole book written about the subject; "How to ***** in the Woods". It is as funny as it is serious.

My son bought it for me after we had been backpacking for several years for laughs.

Slosteppin

Desert Reprobate
02-16-2009, 23:18
I had a long arugment with a backpacking instructor about burning your TP. I always contend that TP is designed to biodegrade in septic systems so it is better to bury it after urinating on it or wetting with water. We've had a couple of bad wild fires out here that were started by hikers burning TP.

OldStormcrow
02-17-2009, 10:21
I usually try to wait until I have hiked a decent distance (a mile or so) the next morning before taking a quick "pack-off" break and my "morning constitutional". If everybody did something of that sort we wouldn't have to tip-toe around the little "white flowers" surrounding the shelters and campsites. Also, a sunny spot in some gap with deep leaf mulch is much warmer and easier to dig in than the frozen black ground around most campsites.

Smile
02-17-2009, 12:47
On a downhill slope away from the trail* is easier to 'balance' on than on flat ground as well :)

*(and of course water, tent sites, etc. as stated above.)

Lone Wolf
02-17-2009, 12:52
So my question is when hiking on the trail, if you have to go #2, where do you go?

if you get up in the morning and the turtle's head ain't pokin' the cotton, eat, pack up and go down the trail a half mile or so, drop your pack, grab your TP and walk off the trail about 20 yards and drop the deuce.

Gaiter
02-17-2009, 12:56
moss prevents splatter :eek:

Wise Old Owl
02-17-2009, 13:43
Sometimes digging isn't possible, learn to go off trail and find lift a medium sized rock, replace rock over dung.

Plodderman
02-17-2009, 15:50
Find a tree, dig a whole, and take a small shovel with you to cover it up.

kanga
02-17-2009, 16:04
if you get up in the morning and the turtle's head ain't pokin' the cotton, eat, pack up and go down the trail a half mile or so, drop your pack, grab your TP and walk off the trail about 20 yards and drop the deuce.

i nominate wolf for u.a. trail guru.:banana

OldStormcrow
02-17-2009, 16:12

....and never, never, never, ever carry any kind of freeze dried food with the word "barbeque" in it. I'm just sayin'.......

Scrapes
02-17-2009, 16:48
I'm a tree leaner, best way to keep the drawers out of the drop zone. Leave the orange shovel at home use a stick to dig the hole.

Keep in mind the direction you walked from the trail, more people get lost droppin' the deuce then any other way.

daddytwosticks
02-17-2009, 17:12
This is the most educational and funny thread I've read in a while. :)

Pony
02-17-2009, 22:50
If you're lucky, you can go mostly in privies. I made it from Springer to Watauga Lake before I had to dig a hole. Ironically, I was less than a mile from an out house at the beach, but I was prairie doggin it pretty bad.

TrippinBTM
02-19-2009, 10:21
....and never, never, never, ever carry any kind of freeze dried food with the word "barbeque" in it. I'm just sayin'.......

Avoid curry powder/indian food as well. Seriously.

Some people would just flip a rock, but I prefer to burry when possible. Seems rodents could more easily get under a rock for the TP (nesting material) than to actually dig for it. I don't pack my TP out, and would never think to pack out a poo, that's freakin' nasty. I understand the rationale, but I'm not putting that in my pack, ziplock or no ziplock.

If you don't go in a privy, make sure to take a decently long walk from the trail/shelter. Don't just go ten yards behind a tree; if everyone would go a bit farther, shelter sites wouldn't be minefields, no lifeguard on duty (doody?), dig at your own risk. Same goes for on the trail; I've heard stories of people squatting IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TRAIL, and have seen the evidence of such squattings myself. Nothing worse thank hiking along merrily and almost stepping on someone's dook. Not cool.

To be honest, I say avoid the privies. It's so nice just squatting there in the woods, surrounded by trees and sunlight while you give back to nature. Much more relaxing than the black-widow boxes that are the privies.

Ender
02-19-2009, 13:09
If you're lucky, you can go mostly in privies. I made it from Springer to Watauga Lake before I had to dig a hole. Ironically, I was less than a mile from an out house at the beach, but I was prairie doggin it pretty bad.

I went out of my way to avoid privies... those things can be really disgusting.

JAK
02-19-2009, 21:25
So my question is when hiking on the trail, if you have to go #2, where do you go? And how? And #1, I'm assuming you just pick a tree right?

please only serious postsOne of perhaps all of these may apply...

Golden Rule version #1
1. Do unto others as ye would have them do unto you.

Golden Rule version #2
2. He who has the gold, makes the rules.

Golden Rule version #3
3. Little bit of *-rine never hurt nobody.

JAK
02-19-2009, 21:27
That was weird. Why did "*" get censored.

Testing...
*-turn
*-haul
*-rine

JAK
02-19-2009, 21:27
That is weird. Am I missing something obvious?

theinfamousj
02-19-2009, 22:22
I think that certain folks finally got annoyed with the text speak of posting a capital letter in place of the word "you" and another capital letter in place of the word "are".

I'm still trying to figure out what <*> is replacing, though. Gotta be something else text-speak related.

JAK
02-19-2009, 22:40
I actually like sites with robot censors because the unintended consequenses can be very humourous sometimes. Like when someone posts about renting a *-haul trailer for hauling manure or something like that.

Powder River
02-20-2009, 04:46
My biggest advice for #2 is don't try to hold out until you get to the next privy. You can avert disasters this way. As for #1, I don't know about you all, but I just turn to the downhill side and water whatever plant is next to the trail. Don't even have to unclip the belt on my pack. Biggest hassle is keepin the hiking poles from falling into the flow.

Homer&Marje
02-20-2009, 08:25

Eating it? :D You could hibernate.

All valid advice given I believe. I agree, privy or 20 minutes down the trail with a nice incline, a tree behind your back, and a view in front of you. 200 ft or 200 yds off the trail doesn't matter to me as much as picking a spot people can't, "accidentally" venture too. Try and show the 200 yd rule for water though. But not all do. Another reason to filter.