PDA

View Full Version : Mildew on tent

cknight
02-16-2009, 22:04
My brilliant son went hiking over the weekend and discovered he forgot to dry the tent after his last trip. He now has a good amount of mildew on the fly of his Hubba. Any advice on removing it?

theinfamousj
02-16-2009, 22:07
Mom's Mildew Solution - Dilute bleach solution and a sponge.

sticks&stones
02-16-2009, 22:24
Micro Ban is a solution we use in mold remediation.

YoungMoose
02-16-2009, 22:26
Mom's Mildew Solution - Dilute bleach solution and a sponge.I agree

Jayboflavin04
02-17-2009, 08:54
Borax is ant-mildew. I dont know what effect it would have on a tent though. When it doubt mild dish detergent and good ole hot water will clean nearly anything...Air it out really good you will probably be ok.

seedog
02-17-2009, 10:50
search for spoaraclean. Heard about it on a DIY radio program. seems to work great, and several people called in with great results. Sorry I don't remember the website

stranger
02-18-2009, 04:09
50% Lemon Juice and 50% water solution will kill mold, but won't remove it, so it will appear to still be there. It's also safe for the materials.

Bleach obviously works, but peronally I don't know of a tent company that recommends using any form of bleach on their fabrics, but I've heard of others that have used diluted bleach with no problems, atleast for now.

calculating infinity
02-19-2009, 16:00
whatever dish soap they use on birds covered in oil
i used it once back in the scouts and it worked like a charm

flemdawg1
02-19-2009, 17:34
whatever dish soap they use on birds covered in oil
i used it once back in the scouts and it worked like a charm

Dawn

theinfamousj
02-21-2009, 23:52
I need to post a correction. After happily reporting to Mom that I was able to pass along her anti-tent-mildew technique and cheerfully telling her that I do appreciate her knowledge and thus have learned from her, I was informed that I got it wrong. Talk about an oops. :: chagrined face ::

She uses dilute VINEGAR, not bleach.

brooklynkayak
03-03-2009, 20:22
My friend Pat, who works for consumer report. Wrote an article about using hydrogen peroxide to remove mildew. It would probably by the same reaction as bleach, but I'd be afraid of using bleach on nylon and many other materials.

hootyhoo
03-03-2009, 20:49
Pee all over it - seal it up in a plastic bag and place it in the sun for at least two weeks. Dry it out and use as normal - the mildew will no longer be an issue.

Or call the Manufacturer and ax them.

Nearly Normal
03-04-2009, 05:46
My brilliant son went hiking over the weekend and discovered he forgot to dry the tent after his last trip. He now has a good amount of mildew on the fly of his Hubba. Any advice on removing it?

Give it back to him to clean.