PDA

View Full Version : Phone Cards

gonewalkabout
02-17-2009, 12:12
Can anyone recomand which phone cards has the smallest deduction/surcharge when using a pay phone? And does not have a one for using a land line other than a pay phone? Looking online and not happy with what I see.

Thanks

Survivor Dave
02-17-2009, 12:25
Don't use the payphone at Fontana Dam. The connection charge takes up alot of the time.
Buying phone cards at each place you will use them is hard to keep track of the balances. It might be best to buy larger amounts periodically IMO.
As far as which one....there are so many out there it's mind boggling!

rp1790
02-17-2009, 12:44
Check these out http://www.comfi.com/Phone-Card-List/

I've been very happy with the Continental card although I do mainly use it for calling overseas. One thing I really like is the ability to setup shortcuts to commonly called numbers.

If you preset them up you can just use 2# - 9# when you dial in. I have both my daughters (one in Australia and one in NZ) on this and it's nice and easy, and cheap.

YMMV.

garlic08
02-17-2009, 13:39
Yeah, every one I've looked at charges up to 30 additional units for a payphone, or a dollar for mine which costs 3.5 cents per minute (got it at Costco many years ago). So I try to find a friendly local vendor (who I just patronized) to lend me their landline, even let them dial the calling card number. I've only needed to use a couple of payphones in the last couple of years. Keep us posted if you find a good deal.

Blissful
02-18-2009, 12:10
We used onesuite.com (it was the cheapest card Clark Howard recommended at the time) :)
But it did use up minutes at the booth.

yappy
02-18-2009, 12:25
I did what garlic did... tried to get use of a landline. I also bought mine at costco. I hated giving up the 30 minutes... quite a racket they have going. As usual.