PDA

View Full Version : Favorite On-line retailer!

Jayboflavin04
02-17-2009, 12:42
As I have posted earlier, I am about to thro down a chunk of change on gear. I would prefer to use one vendor instead of 25, to make my initial purchase. I am looking at moosejaw (They offer reward pnts). I think REI is high.

Where does everyone shop?

Lone Wolf
02-17-2009, 12:44
Campmor for me

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2009, 12:45
Where does everyone shop?

Well not on-line, for starters.

The only Trail stuff I purchase on-line or via mail is maps and guidebooks.

HikerMan36
02-17-2009, 12:47
I use Campmor as well. Their prices are very comparable to other outfitters and a lot lower than some(REI).

Summit
02-17-2009, 13:25
I'd recommend shopping 'best price' online - if that turns into multiple retailers, so be it. Keep up with what you buy from whom in case you have to deal with returns . . . how hard can that be? If you limit yourself to one supplier, your bill of goods will cost you more, I can guarantee you. REI's non-discounted prices do tend to be high, but shop their sales and 'Outlet' for bargains. If you have an REI near you, you can avoid shipping costs by doing the 'in-store pickup' option when checking out.

Be sure you factor in price + shipping costs for total cost of items. One retailer's higher priced item may become cheapest if their shipping is free or much cheaper than their competitor's.

I probably buy more from REI than the others, like Campmor, Artec, Sierra Trading Post, etc. but I generally Never Pay Retail (NPR). If a supplier wants my economic vote ($$), they need to offer the best total price (including shipping).

garlic08
02-17-2009, 13:32
Another vote for Campmor, at least for stuff that you use up or wear out (clothing, repellent, Z-rests, Aquamira). Shelters and packs I buy directly from the makers (Henry Shires and Gossamer Gear), shoes from the best on-line deal I find at the time.

WritinginCT
02-17-2009, 13:34
I am personally loving Campmor. Their website is solid and easy to use. Plus they have the carrying WEIGHT of practically every item listed alongside it. Very handy. And their prices are good.

If I were to break it down though into "general" online vendor and "specific" online vendor- then AntiGravity Gear has my other vote :)

Cabin Fever
02-17-2009, 13:43
If you are strictly going for best price, then use spadout.com. It finds the cheapest price online for a product.

Personally, I am an REI man but sometimes buy odds and ends from Sierra Trading Post.

BrianLe
02-17-2009, 13:49
As with so many things, it depends on what you're optimizing for. If cost and variety are top considerations, campmor is great, and I carry a couple of things I bought there. If you're more focused on finding lightweight gear, I suggest that you consider www.prolitegear.com, www.backcountrygear.com, plus a couple of cottage industry places like www.gossamergear.com, www.tarptent.com, www.mountainlaureldesigns.com, www.sixmoondesigns.com

If I had to pick just one or two locations, I'd go with one of the first two I listed. Backcountrygear.com has a wider selection, prolitegear.com has a pretty good selection that's more focused on just lightweight gear.

What I really suggest that you do, however, is go beyond just one vendor, but well below 25, and go with just a select few. Campmor might be one of those few for me, along with the ones I listed above.

sarbar
02-17-2009, 14:11
Depends...price isn't everything.

If you think you will be returning items read the retailers info carefully. Not all allow returns. You might pay more at REI at times....but you can return anything.

Wags
02-17-2009, 15:35
www.spadout.com

rp1790
02-17-2009, 16:22
I'd vote for REI. The 100% no quibbles return policy is pretty damn good. You can return stuff a year later if you decide you don't like it anymore. I know that's open to abuse but it's a nice safety net.

P.S. I don't find their prices to be bad at all.

flemdawg1
02-17-2009, 16:25
I another vote for Spadout.com, however using them takes me to Sierra Trading Posts for most things I've ordered.

fehchet
02-17-2009, 17:11
Not one vote for LL Bean until now. I do like Campmor too and several others mentioned. EMS for another.
I have been replacing all my hiking gear in the past few months and I did get a lot at Campmor. I ordered from the manufacturer for my backpack and tent. I did purchase a Campmor zero degree bag long and it is great. I stick with bands of clothing I know through experience.
Go LL Bean!
CYA"LL at Trail Days.

chicote
02-17-2009, 17:12
I get a lot of stuff from Campsaver.com – good on Montbell stuff and sales.

Nicksaari
02-17-2009, 17:15
REI=cooperate douche bags, overpriced, snooty.

Campmor=cheaper, smaller operation.

Sierra Trading Post= good deals, steals.

and my fav: Ebay.

Blissful
02-17-2009, 19:26
Campmor and Backcountry.com for some stuff and I like our outfitter- Rockfish Gap outfitters by waynesboro.

scope
02-17-2009, 19:35
Most of my recent gear purchases have been through Backcountry.com and I can say that they have been as good as REI with regard to returns, etc. None of the online retailers have all the makes, but I would say that REI is low on variety.

Backcountry and Campmor are among the largest with most variety of stock.

Slimer
02-17-2009, 19:37
Campmor

jersey joe
02-17-2009, 19:41
Another vote for campmor.
The actual store is better than the site.

hootyhoo
02-17-2009, 20:09
Campmor for me.

le loupe
02-17-2009, 20:13
I try to shop "best price online" as has been mentioned. If i'm looking at multiple items I'm thinking about best total price so as not to pay double shipping.

I always try Campmor, sometime Sierra Trading Post

Ebay is great if your willing to wait.

jethro
02-17-2009, 23:27
Another vote for campmor.
The actual store is better than the site.

+1 for Campmor. Their store is an absolute playground, and I've found the staff to be consistently friendly and knowledgeable.

Jayboflavin04
02-18-2009, 01:20
The nearest outfitter to me is about 60miles away.....and it is a sticker shock hell!!!!! Everything MSRP! I want to support them but, I went in to try on a vapor trail. I need a long torso which equals special order which equal.....I own it!!! A big boooo for my not so local outfitter. Especially with something you wanna try on like a pack or shoes.

Even their very helpful staff will bring up in conversation...."you could check online."

And I will agree with everyone here! I like campmor also, and plan on sending business their way for a long time to come.