PDA

View Full Version : "Gastric distress meds" - amounts

WritinginCT
02-17-2009, 13:30
I've noticed in a lot of packing lists that folks carry a single dose of "gastric distress meds" ie imodium, pepto, et cetera.

And I read about folks taking zero's near shelters when they've gotten sick as to be near privies and water supplies.

Wouldn't it be a bit more prudent to pack a full 24hrs dosage amount of these meds? A single dose might well get you to a shelter (or town depending) but then what? You lay around a shelter and be miserable and stand the chance of it getting worse instead of better (and then still have to hike out)?

I'm having a *really* hard time parsing my naturally prudent nature (meaning my contingencies have contingencies) and keeping my pack weight down. The two just don't play well together.

MOWGLI
02-17-2009, 13:37
Just carry some meds for diarrhea, constipation, and an upset stomach. The AT is rarely far from town or a road.

Blissful
02-17-2009, 19:17
24 hr doseage of Imodium is like four pills. No weight to that. If people take less it's up to them I suppose. Take what you feel you need to. I took plenty of meds for me but that was a personal choice. And I subdivided them out in mail drops. :)

garlic08
02-17-2009, 20:04
I think it would be prudent to carry meds only for expected conditions. If you normally have "gastric distress", carry the meds for it. If you never get it, don't carry the meds and save the hassles of carrying them. If you get lots of headaches and joint pains, bring lots of pain relievers. If you're lucky enough to live painfree, don't bring pain meds. If you're allergic to stings, plan for that. Like Mowgli says, you can always bail out and stock up if needed. Don't overplan this thing!

I met a guy who asked me to help him get his pack weight down. His three-pound first aid kit had a dozen epi-pens. He said he wasn't allergic to anything, but what if someone else was? He got an enlightened look when I said that person would probably have their own epi-pens.

mister krabs
02-17-2009, 20:22
I bring 48 hours worth of generic immodium, zantac, zyrtec and advil. It's one small bottle full of mixed pills, it weighs about an ounce and a half.

SGT Rock
02-17-2009, 20:28
I carried about 6 pepto tablets and 6 immodium. Enough to stop me up and settle things down to the next town if it hit.

StubbleJumper
02-17-2009, 22:20
Taking a day's dose of immodium with you weighs perhaps 2 or 3 grams. So far it's been a wasted 2 or 3 grams for me, but if you ever get the s*&ts in the woods, you'll be really happy to have some immodium with you. It can be a hell of a long walk back to the trailhead!