PDA

View Full Version : Ink replacement......

wrongway_08
02-17-2009, 17:38
So I went to buy replacement ink Refills for my printer, to do this presentation on the A.T. for the kids.

I go to the store and the refills cost $100.00 all together.

For ****s-n- giggles I go look at new printers (mine was about 2 years old). Found one on sale for $50.00, a better model then mine and comes with ink of course, being new. Both new and old one are the same brand brothers.

I buy the new one and notice that the refills for this new printer cost $48.00!! The refills alone cost as much as the printer does! Talk about greed. I know, these companies need to make money but there needs to be a "greed cap" for companies.

Pretty sad that I'm better off throwing away the printer and buyn a new one every time I run out of ink. So no wonder the land fills are full.

Okay done my complaining.

fiddlehead
02-17-2009, 17:56
Yeah, this policy sucks.
I have a printer that takes 6 cartridges.
I only use black recently but it squirts a little out of each one each time you turn it on.
Had to replace 2 of the colors 2 weeks ago.

I have an old Z23 lexmark back in the states that runs forever on an ink cartridge.
But, they made it so it won't run on Vista. I had to fire up an old computer just to print.

All it takes is for a company to make a good printer and sell the ink at reasonable prices and i think everybody would switch.

IF you really do a lot of printing, get a laser.

Anyway, that's my 2cents on it all.

wrongway_08
02-17-2009, 18:01
I dont do a whole lot of printing, its just disturbing that companies feel good about screwing people just cause they can.

dmax
02-17-2009, 18:19
I went to circuit city over the weekend, since they are going out of business. I found some refills for a great price. You might want to check them out if there is one by you.

STEVEM
02-17-2009, 18:40
I dont do a whole lot of printing, its just disturbing that companies feel good about screwing people just cause they can.

The last printer I bought was an HP-???. When the ink ran out in 2-weeks I called customer service and complained. They told me that new printers come with "starter cartridges" that contain only a small fraction of the ink in new cartridges. I had to buy (2) ink cartridges for this POS last week. Cost me $86.00.

bigcranky
02-17-2009, 18:58
An ink jet printer is simply a device which delivers your cash to the ink cart manufacturer.

A decent Brother laser printer is about $100. The "starter" toner cartridge is good for about 1500 8.5x11 sheets, and the "real" cartridge costs $65 and is good for about 2500 sheets.

If one only wants to print black and white on regular paper, then the cost per sheet for a laser printer is a very small fraction of an ink jet printer.

Blissful
02-17-2009, 19:19
That's why we go with laser printers. You get a heck of a lot more printing done. But the cartridges still cost a heap.

garlic08
02-17-2009, 19:55
I've had good luck with remanufactured inkjet cartridges, usually about $5 each (actually $0.01 on Amazon and $4.99 S&H). They seem to work OK, but I don't know if they're ruining the printer or something.

Mongoose2
02-17-2009, 20:17
Go to Walgreens and get them refilled. I have also done this myself, much cheaper

Mongoose2
02-17-2009, 20:20
I mean refilled them myself, they sell the kits...I am a DIY kinda guy!

wrongway_08
02-17-2009, 21:22
Might look into that, it beats payn them all that money!

George
02-17-2009, 21:43
when you buy a new printer they give you 1/2 cartridages try the kodak they say 10$ replacements

theinfamousj
02-17-2009, 22:15
Don't forget to FreeCycle (.com) your old printer each time you buy a new one ... :)

Me? I print at the library ($0.10/page) every time I need to print something and if it needs to be a copy job, I take it to my local office supply store and have them copy it. The occasional use I have for these makes it cheaper than maintaining my own printer.

dmax
02-18-2009, 21:49
I think the web site is: inkreplacementsuperstore.com. I was asking somebody about this at work today.

atraildreamer
02-21-2009, 23:10
Tried this trick while using WordPerfect years ago. Try printing in "Draft" mode. I found that the output (for B&W text) actually looked better than the "Normal" setting. This allowed the HP laser printer to print 15,000 pages vs. the normal 5,000 pages per cartridge. These printers were the heavy duty HP units that used a cartridge that cost $115.