PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor leadership schools?

RememberYourZen
02-17-2009, 18:12
Hey guys,

Just finished an outdoor leadership minor in school and was looking at potentially continuing my education regarding the outdoor world. Any of you guys/girls know anything about outdoor leadership schools? I've done my research on NOLS of course, as it is the most well-known I believe.

Bearpaw
02-17-2009, 18:19
Hey guys,

Just finished an outdoor leadership minor in school and was looking at potentially continuing my education regarding the outdoor world. Any of you guys/girls know anything about outdoor leadership schools? I've done my research on NOLS of course, as it is the most well-known I believe.

I taught for NOLS in the summers of 2001-2003 and did my best to get more work in fall of 2003 in the Rocky Mountain and Teton Valley Branches.

NOLS looks great on a resume, and while you are out there working, it is a fantastic job. But as far as a career, it is almost impossible to make a living. Work is very seasonable and the salary per contract is less than minimum wage for an 8 hour day (and you are out there with students pretty much 24/7 for a month). Also, you won't get reimbursed for the expensive WFR courses you'll take and will rarely be reimbursed for travel to work a course.

If you can work for the family business, have a trust, or just a lot of independent money lying around, you can probably stay with NOLS long enough to make a living at it, though eventually, this will mean to full full-time in town with maybe an occasional outdoor contract.

BUT, again, if you are right out of college with no debt, and can get a scholarship to pay for a chunk of your NOLS Instructor Course, it can be a great experience, and a tremendous plume on an outdoor resume.

RememberYourZen
02-17-2009, 18:23
Yeah I was thinking about taking the NOLS course but not essentially work for NOLS..I just want to be able to experience something that I could not otherwise experience.

I would definitely do it for the experience and I'm sure it'd look great on my resume

Bearpaw
02-17-2009, 18:31
The experience really is worth it, but look to expand your horizons. If you're a confident backpacker, take a mountaineering course where you'll expand your climbing skills.

If you climb well also, consider a paddling or sea kayaking course. You'll still get the standard NOLS curriculum, but learn some new skills as well.

The standard wilderness teaches how to backpack, clothe, and care for yourself. It also stresses off-trail navigation, getting along with others, and some pretty advanced cooking. But the more specialized courses teach this PLUS advanced skills. As an outdoor ed major, I doubt you would get as much from a standard wilderness course.

You might also want to consider the Outdoor Educator Course, different from the NOLS Instructor Course.

RememberYourZen
02-17-2009, 18:43
The experience really is worth it, but look to expand your horizons. If you're a confident backpacker, take a mountaineering course where you'll expand your climbing skills.

If you climb well also, consider a paddling or sea kayaking course. You'll still get the standard NOLS curriculum, but learn some new skills as well.

The standard wilderness teaches how to backpack, clothe, and care for yourself. It also stresses off-trail navigation, getting along with others, and some pretty advanced cooking. But the more specialized courses teach this PLUS advanced skills. As an outdoor ed major, I doubt you would get as much from a standard wilderness course.

You might also want to consider the Outdoor Educator Course, different from the NOLS Instructor Course.

I'd really like to take the mountaineering course. I took beginner and advanced climbing in college but really feel I need to expand upon those skills as I am not very confident in them. I had initially planned to take backpacking because it is the skill i am most comfortable with and enjoy the most. I'd kind of like to become a master:)

I'll take a look at that outdoor edu course, seems like a good idea. Patagonia looks enticing, hahaha

YoungMoose
02-17-2009, 22:19
Do outward bound. I went thtere last summer it was awsome. i liked what they were teaching. www.outwardbound.org

chrishowe11
02-18-2009, 12:28
Hello,

i attend unity college up in maine and im a adventure education major. There is the International wilderness leadership school. Which I think is the best because you get real certifications that get the the techinically specific jobs you want. I saw a presentation from them last night and they have courses all over westerm hemisphear take a few minitues and check it out they have great affiliations with a lot of good buisnesses and organizations hope you can find you nitch in the outdoor world see you on the trail

skinewmexico
02-18-2009, 12:44
Wow. You can really major in Adventure Education? And feed a family?

Newb
02-18-2009, 13:50
The Army will do you right. :)

Bearpaw
02-18-2009, 19:14

In general, no.

I never knew a single person working for NOLS (other than town jobs) who was married with children.

BUT, you can use that major for programs that run year-round, like wilderness therapy, YMCA camp jobs, etc.

Or you can marry up! ;):banana

Bearpaw
02-18-2009, 19:15
The Army will do you right. :)

Or the Marines, so long as you pick MOS's that get shot at on a regular basis. :)

It's a small price to pay for the best free schools and travel you'll ever get.

Bare Bear
02-18-2009, 20:04
An option for cheap would e take a summer position at one of the 'attended hostels' like Blackburn Trail Center. The experience alone would be helpful though not the educative value of NOLS.

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2009, 20:11
Wow. This will open a can of worms, but while I respect people that have worked for programs like this, I don't think much of the participants.

I've met dozens, if not scores of former NOLS "grads", including a lot of Dartmouth students. I think of the place as the National Outdoor Leadership Snobs.

It's a feel-good, multi-thousand-dollar knot-tying program for rich kids and people experiencing delayed adolescence.

If you want to work in outdoor leadership, then find a kids at risk program. If you want to teach a bunch of pampered candyasses from Greenwhich CT or Shaker Heights Ohio how to rappel or flip a kayak, fine.

But this is basically advanced summer camp for Trustfundarians.

Look somewhere else.

Personally, I think there are lots better programs.

daddytwosticks
02-18-2009, 20:19
I think Newb is right on...the Army will give you lots of "outdoor leadership" experience. :)

YoungMoose
02-18-2009, 21:28
i think another thing is earth adventures or somthing like that

Feral Bill
02-18-2009, 21:44

Don't be greedy;)