PDA

View Full Version : AT section question

Erin
02-17-2009, 23:05
I am trying to put together a section hike for late May. I am trying to choose near the section I did last year (Devil's Fork Gap to Hot Springs).
Much of this is based on time available, and distance. I have to factor in basically a two day drive from here and back home and am trying to tie it in when I will me in middle Tennessee which is memorial day weekend since I work full time and even Nashville is 9 hours from here. I think the week before memorial day might work best with my schedule.
Here is what I considered:
1. Devil's Fork Gap, NC to Erwin, TN-north
2. Erwin, TN to Carver Gap, TN.-north
3. Hot Springs to Standing Bear-southbound
Option number 2 looks more scenic. Option 3 seems fine too. Shuttle drop/pick up is a must which is why I have chosen roads for beginning and end. Shuttle suggesions will be welcomed. I have heard the area south of Erwin can be a little rough. Safety concerns are an issue for me. This would be my first solo. Our group just can't get it together this year for the trip we planned up north and I want to hike. I tent but want to stay near a shelter and water. Thanks for any suggestions.

snowhoe
02-17-2009, 23:11
Are you just intrested in hiking on the AT or are you looking for good hikes close to nashville.

Sly
02-17-2009, 23:28
It's about 38 miles but you could go Carver's Gap to Dennis Cove Rd. and most likely get shuttled by Bob Peoples and stay at the Kincora. (have your car in a safe spot waiting)

Erin
02-17-2009, 23:38
Snowshoe, I had not even thought of hikes close to Nashville. Which is an idea given my time constraints. I section hiked on the AT last year and LOVED it. I knew I wanted to go back. I would like to do more of the AT, and doing a thru is my dream when I retire in 8 years. I thought I would try a solo section, on the AT. Your Nashville area idea is intriguing. I spent every summer over there from age 6 to 21 and canoed the Buffalo, Duck, Harpeth, Caney Fork, but no hiking except at Montgomery Bell and Pickwick Landing area. Perhaps I guess I need to wise up and realize I can't spend four days in the car to hike four days on the AT. So if you have middle TN suggestions, I am all ears. I see you are from Colorado...lucky. My first ever backpack trip was in Colorado.

Erin
02-17-2009, 23:44
Thanks Sly, isn't that section pretty scenic also?
As you can see from my above post, it is the 14 hour drive eating me up. I wanna, but am I being unrealistic? Why did I fall in love with the AT last year?

Tennessee Viking
02-17-2009, 23:56
I am trying to put together a section hike for late May. I am trying to choose near the section I did last year (Devil's Fork Gap to Hot Springs).
Much of this is based on time available, and distance. I have to factor in basically a two day drive from here and back home and am trying to tie it in when I will me in middle Tennessee which is memorial day weekend since I work full time and even Nashville is 9 hours from here. I think the week before memorial day might work best with my schedule.
Here is what I considered:
1. Devil's Fork Gap, NC to Erwin, TN-north
2. Erwin, TN to Carver Gap, TN.-north
3. Hot Springs to Standing Bear-southbound
Option number 2 looks more scenic. Option 3 seems fine too. Shuttle drop/pick up is a must which is why I have chosen roads for beginning and end. Shuttle suggesions will be welcomed. I have heard the area south of Erwin can be a little rough. Safety concerns are an issue for me. This would be my first solo. Our group just can't get it together this year for the trip we planned up north and I want to hike. I tent but want to stay near a shelter and water. Thanks for any suggestions.In late May, most of the crowd has already passed through. You will probably be with a number of straglers and sectioners.

Devils Fork Gap to Erwin you will have the Sugarloaf & Big Bald climbs, then long downward grade to Erwin. Great views from Big Bald. Never heard of any problems south of Erwin. You can arrange shuttles very easily with Johnnys. Length wise, you can get to Hogback Ridge/Big Bald-Low Gap then over to No Business and into Erwin.

Erwin to Carvers Gap is going to have a couple steep climbs going up to Curley Maple and up from Hughes Gap. You will see Beauty Spot/Deep Gap and Cloudland. You may want to go sobo so you can pick up your car at Johnnys. But you can always get a pick up there fairly easily as well. Length wise, you can climb up to Beauty Spot/Deep Gap then over to Clyde Smith and up to Carvers.

Hot Springs to Standing Bear you will have a roller coaster ride of ups and downs. Only problem you will be going into a high bear activity area. Being a solo trip, I wouldn't do it. But as long as you bear bag properly, you should be ok.

Tractor
02-18-2009, 00:03
Might consider Savage Gulf. Not that far out of Nashville so less driving-more hiking time.

Erin
02-18-2009, 00:10
Thanks bullyf.
I read about the bear problems south of Hot Springs last year and that concerned me so much I bailed on a solo there last May. Elmer in Hot Springs had recommended that as a section and I was all over it, had the week planned, then completely chickened out. I am a small. I am not afraid of snakes, and other stuff, but aggressive bear activity spooked me out of the trip.
I have to ask a silly question...who is Johonny's?

Tennessee Viking
02-18-2009, 03:12
Thanks bullyf.
I read about the bear problems south of Hot Springs last year and that concerned me so much I bailed on a solo there last May. Elmer in Hot Springs had recommended that as a section and I was all over it, had the week planned, then completely chickened out. I am a small. I am not afraid of snakes, and other stuff, but aggressive bear activity spooked me out of the trip.
I have to ask a silly question...who is Johonny's?The bear activity isn't aggressive. The bears are used to hikers & don't show fear. Thats the main problem. And they are smart enough to pull down improper hung food bags.

Hikers in hamocks at Walnut Mtn Shelter have been known to be mistaken as food bags and had a scary pinata experience.

Johnnys is the hostel right off trail when you hit Erwin. Coming off of Temple Hill Ridge, you will see Uncle Johnnys Hostel right before you cross the Nolichucky.

Nolichucky River Campground and hostel is just less than a mile northbound before you turn away from the road into Jones Branch Hollow.

snowhoe
02-18-2009, 11:14
Erin, big south fork has got loads of hiking and great views. Angel bluff look out is a great place and big south fork has alot of loop trails. As said above you also have savage gulf which is one of my favorate hikes. I love the hike to hobbs cabin because you are just walking along a giant bluff and you have so many views. Also frozen head state park is great. I also hiked to a place called Virgin Falls and we actually pitched our tent under the falls and camped. Cannot lie didnt get a great nite sleep kinda loud. I dont know if this place is still open you would have to do some research on it. Do what you want to do either hiking in Tennessee or the AT.

Erin
02-20-2009, 22:31
All are great suggestions, thank you. It is going to depend on time, but you all have given me some great closer in Tennessee optons also. My one good friend in ET does trail volunteer maintenance at Frozen Head. He has also recommended Big South Fork and I am going to research Savage Gulf. All of you have made me feel safer on all the options.