PDA

View Full Version : Good 3-4 night loop trail?

Cast Away
02-17-2009, 23:46
Where in Colorado is a good loop trail (seeing as I don't like to backtrack) taking about 3 to 4 nights? Planning a trip out there in the near future.

Thanks

fta
02-18-2009, 19:35
lost creek wilderness loop is a fun one. http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/Favorite-Colorado-Hikes.html#lost-creek-wilderness-loop

Mags
02-27-2009, 15:09
It is indeed. At that link, you'll find some other loops in Colorado that work, too. Has the info you need..and most importantly: Where to chow afterwards! :D

Cast Away
02-27-2009, 23:28
Thanks to both of you for the info. I forwarded the link to my cousin in Denver. Now we just have to plan it.

fiddlehead
02-27-2009, 23:49
I would consider taking the mini-track (or whatever they call it) train out of Silverton and getting off where the CT crosses the tracks (They will stop there for you) then hike back to Silverton along the CT and CDT (turn left where they divide again)
This is some of the most spectacular scenery in a state that is full of spectacular scenery.
Tough hiking though. Best to be in good shape and i have been in a few thunderstorms in this section all 3 times i've done it.

Ox97GaMe
02-28-2009, 01:55
Another good loop is the Collegiate Range south of Leadville/Twin Lakes area. Easy access from Denver too.

Although not a loop, you could also consider the section of the CT near Leadville. Hitching in/out of Leadville is pretty easy and in the summer, there are a ton of folks in that area that are on day/overnight hikes peak bagging. Start at Tennessee Pass and hike to Half Moon. Additional hiking (to get right number of days) could include the climbs up Mt Massive and/or Mt Elbert. These are two of the easiest 14ers in the state. I think the summits are within 2 miles of the CT trail junctions, but you would want to confirm that.