PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to get to the trail?

Celeritas
02-18-2009, 01:01
Trying to spend the least amount possible, seeing as I don't have much. Looking to get to the approach trail sometime at the end of March from CT. I'm considering taking Greyhound just because it's half the price of Amtrak. Then I was considering taking advantage of the Hiker Hostel shuttle from there, but $40 is killing me. I saw in another thread someone mention a cab. Any ideas on how much that might run? Any other ideas? Greatly appreciated!:D

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 01:19
The Greyhound is going to drop U off near the Atlanta Airport, right? U can take another bus line from there to Gainesville Ga or maybe one stop closer by bus to the Approach Trl. Right? Ask questions. Look at a a map. How could U hitch to the Approach Trl. from there? If U get Josh or Leigh Saint or another shuttler at a time when they R picking someone else up from Atlanta or Gainesville maybe U could get in on a group shuttle rate. $40 is killing U? ln the end though, hey, it's going to cost U some money to hike the AT! I hope U have prepared adequate funds for your hike!

Celeritas
02-18-2009, 09:56
Well my point is I don't want to spend $40 on a shuttle just to get there when I could be saving that money for food, or emergency gear, or what have you. I can get off in Gainesville and am looking to get from there to Amicalola. I'm looking at coming in on March 29th. Anyone else getting a shuttle from Gainesville then?

camojack
02-18-2009, 10:00
Hike.

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 10:08
Trying to spend the least amount possible, seeing as I don't have much. Looking to get to the approach trail sometime at the end of March from CT. I'm considering taking Greyhound just because it's half the price of Amtrak. Then I was considering taking advantage of the Hiker Hostel shuttle from there, but $40 is killing me. I saw in another thread someone mention a cab. Any ideas on how much that might run? Any other ideas? Greatly appreciated!:D

hitch hike from the bus station. i've done it

Celeritas
02-18-2009, 11:25
hitch hike from the bus station. i've done it

Sounds good. There's going to be two of us though. Hopefully we'll be able to get a ride. I think I'll get some cab company numbers just in case ;)

Hooch
02-18-2009, 11:34
You'll pay more taking a cab than you would just biting the bullet and taking a shuttle in the first place. If the shuttle is $40, just split the cost between the two of you. Seems pretty cheap to me.

Screech
02-18-2009, 11:39
If you buy your Greyhound ticket 2 weeks in advance it is quite cheap.

To get from Dayton Ohio to Gainesville Georgia will take me 20 hours on a bus next monday(not looking forward to that) but it is only costing me 55 bucks. I am walking/thumbing from the bus station.

Slo-go'en
02-18-2009, 11:49
The bus can take you to Gainesville, no need to go to Atlanta. Arrange for the Hiker hostel to pick you up and spend the night there. After a 32 hour bus ride, you will need a day off and a good nights sleep! Money well spent. If you have to pinch pennies on the front end of a thru-hike, you might not make it too far!

DapperD
02-18-2009, 12:34
Trying to spend the least amount possible, seeing as I don't have much. Looking to get to the approach trail sometime at the end of March from CT. I'm considering taking Greyhound just because it's half the price of Amtrak. Then I was considering taking advantage of the Hiker Hostel shuttle from there, but $40 is killing me.:DNo offense, but if you are going to scratch and kick about a $40 shuttle charge, maybe you need to reconsider wether a thru-hike is really in yours and everyone elses best interest. Shuttler's need to make some type of money in order to survive. The price of gas alone today is outragous, let alone wear and tare on their vehicle, and their precious time. I mean seriously, what will you do when you get to the burger joint and your bill is $10 for a burger, fries and a cola?:eek:

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 12:35
No offense, but if you are going to scratch and kick about a $40 shuttle charge, maybe you need to reconsider wether a thru-hike is really in yours and everyone elses best interest. Shuttler's need to make some type of money in order to survive. The price of gas alone today is outragous, let alone wear and tare on their vehicle, and their precious time. I mean seriously, what will you do when you get to the burger joint and your bill is $10 for a burger, fries and a cola?:eek:

oh, so you must use a shuttler so they can make $$$? what a crock :rolleyes:

jersey joe
02-18-2009, 12:41
Agreed...if you don't want to pay for a shuttle and can find a better way around, there is nothing wrong with that.

Alligator
02-18-2009, 12:42
Absolutely.

DapperD
02-18-2009, 12:42
oh, so you must use a shuttler so they can make $$$? what a crock :rolleyes:He can use any method he wants, including his feet, by why complain about shuttler's fees if he wants to use their services? It cost money to thru-hike, this is something that is in my opinion a necessity, arriving at the trailhead safely,with your gear safe and sound. If you want to save money, then hike there, don't complain about people's fees, or you will sow resentment.

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 12:44
Agreed...if you don't want to pay for a shuttle and can find a better way around, there is nothing wrong with that.

it's like sayin' since you're gonna hike thru Neel gap you should spend $200 cuz they're there and count on hikers :rolleyes:

Celeritas
02-18-2009, 12:45
No offense, but if you are going to scratch and kick about a $40 shuttle charge, maybe you need to reconsider wether a thru-hike is really in yours and everyone elses best interest. Shuttler's need to make some type of money in order to survive. The price of gas alone today is outragous, let alone wear and tare on their vehicle, and their precious time. I mean seriously, what will you do when you get to the burger joint and your bill is $10 for a burger, fries and a cola?:eek:

I understand this. It's nothing against them or trying to jip them out of money, I'd just rather not spend it if it's not necessary. You could call me "frugal". :D I currently ride my bike 30 miles/day to work right now to save money. As for the burger, fries, and cola : you won't see me eating that crap so that's no issue.

Hooch: You say split the cost.. Can we do that? Would it only cost us $40 for the ride, or $40 each? I would assume they charge everyone individually. I suppose I can contact Hiker Hostel, but anyone know?

Thanks everyone else for the info so far. Please no more comments on my methods. I'm just trying to save money. What's wrong with that?!:eek:

Celeritas
02-18-2009, 12:47
He can use any method he wants, including his feet, by why complain about shuttler's fees if he wants to use their services? It cost money to thru-hike, this is something that is in my opinion a necessity, arriving at the trailhead safely,with your gear safe and sound. If you want to save money, then hike there, don't complain about people's fees, or you will sow resentment.

I'm not complaining, just simply trying to avoid it. I'm sure many hikers value their service and I also think it's great, but I don't mind being inconvenienced a little bit if I'm gonna save money. If it were too much of a hassle, I would gladly pay it and you wouldn't hear any complaint.

Alligator
02-18-2009, 12:48
It's okay to be frugal. I'd shuttle with my bike 40 miles to save that $40:D.

In the times I've used shuttlers with a hiking buddy, the cost did not change due to there being two of us. Ask upfront though.

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 12:49
Thanks everyone else for the info so far. Please no more comments on my methods. I'm just trying to save money. What's wrong with that?!:eek:

i remember the days when there were virtually no shuttle services and few hostels. we got by fine. now it seems every road crossing is crawling with "service providers" willing to relieve you of some cash. hitchin' was the way to go.

kyhipo
02-18-2009, 12:49
well i have been their and have had the extra cash at times,so just put your thumb out and be positive,ky

Celeritas
02-18-2009, 12:50
It's okay to be frugal. I'd shuttle with my bike 40 miles to save that $40:D.

In the times I've used shuttlers with a hiking buddy, the cost did not change due to there being two of us. Ask upfront though.

Thank you for being helpful!:sun
I think I will just call and ask.

The Weasel
02-18-2009, 12:54
Go to Craigslist.com and pick your nearest towns (including Atlanta) and post a "Ride Wanted" listing in several appropriate categories. You may be able to find someone who is going where you want, and even avoid the fare to ride the Dog.

Craigslist is also an excellent place to find used gear. You can do a national search, as well.

TW

Rockhound
02-18-2009, 12:58
Just out of curiosity how much have you budgeted for your hike? I have a feeling you are cutting it too tight if $40 to get to the trailhead is already a big concern. If you are a little flexible with your starting date, you may be able to catch a ride down with someone coming from New England area. Give them your Dirty dog money and keep your $40.

jersey joe
02-18-2009, 13:03
Looking to get to the approach trail sometime at the end of March from CT. I'm considering taking Greyhound just because it's half the price of Amtrak.
Have you ever taken greyhound long distance? I didn't have the greatest experience going from Jersey to South Carolina a few years back. It took 26 hours, had multiple connections and I learned that your seat is not guaranteed, it's first come first serve.

JJJ
02-18-2009, 13:13
I'd hitch to save money and can't imagine it'd be hard to snag a ride.
Think of it as an adventure. :D

Hooch
02-18-2009, 13:17
Hooch: You say split the cost.Yes I do, that is correct.

Can we do that? As long as your friend has 20 bucks, I don't see why not.

Would it only cost us $40 for the ride, or $40 each?You're probably better off contacting Josh and Leight at the Hiker hostel to ask that one.

I would assume they charge everyone individually. You know what happens when folks assume........

I suppose I can contact Hiker Hostel, but anyone know?That's what I'd do were I you. (770) 312-7342

Pickleodeon
02-18-2009, 14:03
I asked the same question and got the same response when I said that $40 was a bit steep. It's not that I don't want to support the shuttle, I'd love to take a shuttle and meet other hikers and stay overnight at the Hiker hostel to meet people, BUT, I'd rather just not spend the money on it and save the money for the rest of my hike.

So, my dad is going to drive down with me to GA from PA. Not really a solution to your question, but, I know how you feel.

mtbmatty
02-18-2009, 14:24
a flight outa hartford on 3-31-09(BRADLEY INTL) is 100.00 i just checked, and thats what i paid (102.19) when i booked a couple weeks back the cheapest flights seem to magicly appear on wed www.orbitz.com (http://www.orbitz.com)

not sure how much bus or train is but this is sure gonna be faster. as far as the shuttle call hiker hostel see if you can split the cost. i think the atc also has names of reputable shuttle services. i also read something in one of the forums, about a guy who was available to shuttle for gas $. try using the search tool to find it

partinj
02-18-2009, 14:30
Hi SB-AT I am statring my thur-hike on march 4 gone to take the greyhound
to it will be 14 hours me. I have took the greyhound before on long trip. Not
that bad just like a thur-hike it what you make of it. That said the HikerHostel
is the your best bet they have a Thur-hiker special for $70.00 the pick you
up take to the hostel you get dinner and they do make run in to town where
their is a REI. And before you leave to head for the trail you get a really good breakfast. Oh yet get to take bath before you leave to. Here is the link to their site.
http://www.hikerhostel.com/
:-?

mtbmatty
02-18-2009, 14:33
i searched "shuttle for gas money" and found it in the class of 09 forum
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44480&highlight=shuttle+gas+money
don norton is his user name and his e-mail is included he just wants gas $$

best of luck

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2009, 14:37
Gotta agree with Jersey Joe.

Connecticut to Georgia by Greyhound will be an unmitigated nightmare.

I'd look at a cheap flight instead, or postpone your trip departure date a bit, work for an extra week or two, and buy a Train ticket with the money you saved.

I went from Washington to Atlanta by bus recently and it was a complete horror show. The idea of taking a bus trip twice as long is too horrible to contemplate.

Also, if you take the Train, there's a good chance you'll find other hikers on it, and some of these folks may want to either share a shuttle or cab with you, or might want a hitching partner after you get to Gainesville.

Christopher Robin
02-18-2009, 15:02
I got a fight w/Delta for March 29 for $96.60 inclulding taxs. I called Hikers Hostel and I'm all set, and it will take just 2 hr.

terrapin05
02-18-2009, 15:42
im sure it would be 40$ for the two of yas ...josh/leigh can be a valuable ally and resource for those not so familiar with those parts,try hitchin if you can..however amicaloloa is outthere so a ride all the way may be tough..purchase big grey dog tickets well in advance much cheaper,watch your packs tho...that dog stops in some sketchy spots southbound from ct.(particularly baltimore...

boarstone
02-18-2009, 17:52
Well my point is I don't want to spend $40 on a shuttle just to get there when I could be saving that money for food, or emergency gear, or what have you. I can get off in Gainesville and am looking to get from there to Amicalola. I'm looking at coming in on March 29th. Anyone else getting a shuttle from Gainesville then?

Walk.........................:D

Celeritas
02-18-2009, 19:20
I must just say here.. I am utterly amazed at the amount and variations of replies I've gotten on this. haha

Thank you all! I think I've got enough options to figure something out. And to top it off, my hiking buddy mentioned today his mom & stepdad might be down for driving us. So this may all be in vain, but nonetheless..

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 19:34
I hear U SB-AT. Keep the word out that U R coming in on Mar 29 and U R seeking a ride to the TH. U R willing to share costs w/ other parties. Explore the sharing a ride option w/ other shuttlers in the area further. Contact the shuttlers directly. Perhaps, U could arrange something. Offer to wash someon'e car in exchange for a ride. Don't laugh, when I was being a tight wad I've done it. Maybe, someone here on WB knows of a ride/message board. Be prepared to possibly hitch to the TH(print out road directions and/or a map). I know several thru-hikers that hitched to the Approach Trl from Gainesville and Atlanta. Get that bus ticket in advance to save money. Someone mentioned U could avoid Atlanta and go directly to Gainesvile by bus. Is that any cheaper? Does that work w/ your plans? Everyone is different with what level of inconvenience(and it's just that a matter of inconvenience) one is willing to put up w/ to achieve what they want to do, but frankly, after the long bus ride from Conn(I took Greyhound from Atlantic City to Atlanta, if I had a choice I wouldn't get to GA like that again if I was planning another AT thru-hike, I later found out I could have flown instead for $10 more than the bus fare) U may want to spend a day recuperating at Josh and Leigh Saint's Hiker Hostel before U start the hike. Besides recuperating U can get some savy last minute pre-hike advice and preparation.

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 19:41
This is for U SB-AT.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dream, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

Henry David Thoreau

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2009, 19:48
So if you head out confidently in search of your dreams, you'll find success unexpected in common hours?

Well, maybe so. Nice thought.

But Thoreau left this vale of tears in May of 1862.

And he never rode Greyhound, either. :eek:

Bare Bear
02-18-2009, 19:54
Give the Hostel in Dalonaga a call. You will have first hand facts rather than the opinions and conjecture too often passed off as THE TRUTH here. Good luck on your hike.
I have hitched many times well; and have shuttled many times well.

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 20:39
cab is $50 to amicalola

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 20:47
gainesville

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 22:59
So, Jack, tell us what you really think about Greyhound. LOL. NO DOUBT, it is a journey riding f!@#$^g Greyhound. OHH, the experieces I could share about traveling Greyhound! OK. Breathe. Exhale. I am Calm now..

Celeritas
02-19-2009, 09:24
This is for * SB-AT.

"If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dream, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

Henry David Thoreau

Thank you for that! I truly believe it. I actually had that quote hanging on my wall before I moved recently.

I think some of the people who replied are a little more stressed about it than I am. haha I was just simply wondering. It will all work out in the end, and at least I am now educated in my choices. Thank you all once again!

DapperD
02-20-2009, 03:11
I understand this. It's nothing against them or trying to jip them out of money, I'd just rather not spend it if it's not necessary. You could call me "frugal". :D I currently ride my bike 30 miles/day to work right now to save money. As for the burger, fries, and cola : you won't see me eating that crap so that's no issue.

Hooch: You say split the cost.. Can we do that? Would it only cost us $40 for the ride, or $40 each? I would assume they charge everyone individually. I suppose I can contact Hiker Hostel, but anyone know?

Thanks everyone else for the info so far. Please no more comments on my methods. I'm just trying to save money. What's wrong with that?!:eek:I think when I responded to your thread I was looking at it from my own perspective, in that if it was myself I would not hesitate to pay a $40 shuttle fee for someone to comeout and pick me up and deposit me safe and sound at the trailhead. I think anyone planning a thru-hike and setting funds aside needs to realize that some of those funds will need to go for some things that one would consider prudent usage. Safe travel to and from the trailhead,warm rooms for when the weather turns unexpectedly,good food,gear replacement, medical treatment,etc...in my opinion would fall into these catagories of things that one would not really question too much if the need arises for them. Someone, in my opinion, who chooses to thru-hike with little to no money is in my opinion jeopardizing his hike but also, and more importantly, his safety and/or health if he/she undertakes a thru-hike knowingly underfunded and/or on a whim.

Celeritas
02-20-2009, 03:27
Someone, in my opinion, who chooses to thru-hike with little to no money is in my opinion jeopardizing his hike but also, and more importantly, his safety and/or health if he/she undertakes a thru-hike knowingly underfunded and/or on a whim.

I call it a challenge and adventure. haha To each his own