PDA

View Full Version : iPod

cupid
02-18-2009, 01:33
For those of you who use an iPod/mp3 player on your hikes... how do you go about charging these items? I know most people do not use these so I don't want to hear about how most people think its pointless:) Just want to know the best way to charge. Thank you!

Panzer1
02-18-2009, 01:53
If you stay at a hostel or motel where you are a paying customer you have the right to plug in.

If you are at a place like a restaurant you must ask permission to plug in or it will be considered "theft of electricity".

Another option is to have a MP3 player that uses disposable batteries, then you just buy new batteries when you need them.

Panzer

Tennessee Viking
02-18-2009, 02:47
For those of you who use an iPod/mp3 player on your hikes... how do you go about charging these items? I know most people do not use these so I don't want to hear about how most people think its pointless:) Just want to know the best way to charge. Thank you!
Working at Target, we have a wall-to-USB adapter for the iPod. $29.99 So if you are at a hostel with no computer, you can still charge it by plugging it into any outlet.

Foyt20
02-18-2009, 10:18
There is also a product that can allow you to strap an aditional piece on your ipod and put disposable batterys in it. Cant remeber the name off hand though.

Foyt20
02-18-2009, 10:20
My trips are all 3 days at most at the moment though so with a full charge, my ipod nano lasts 3 nights easy (since i dont listen while walking). I just listen at night when i am reading, and to keep the wierd sounds at bay (bugs, animals, snoring etc.)

sbennett
02-18-2009, 10:41
I've never needed to recharge my ipod on a hike (I tend to save it for evening time and I just don't go for that long) but I've always been curious about one of those Solio solar chargers for charging things out in the wilderness.

sloopjonboswell
02-18-2009, 11:43
if you can afford it, buy two ipods.. lasts twice as long. plug in where you fit in. libraries, hostels,

mlkelley
02-18-2009, 11:58
There is also a product that can allow you to strap an aditional piece on your ipod and put disposable batterys in it. Cant remeber the name off hand though.

This is what I have. It's called "Energi To Go" , made by the Energizer folks. I bought mine at Walmart I believe. Cost about $15, and came with (2) AA lithium batteries. It will recharge my 8gb nano 4+ times on (2) batteries. It doesn't seem to weigh too much, and not too bulky. It also works with regular alkaline batteries, but only get 1+ charge out them. The lithium batteries are more expensive, but have considerably more power, and weigh much less.

jersey joe
02-18-2009, 12:02
Having an internal battery is one of the big downsides to ipods. High price is another. There are lots of non-apple mp3 players out there that use disposable batteries.

Powder River
02-19-2009, 15:39
The latest ipods have really insane battery life. My '07 nano is rated for 24 hours of playback. This will get you from town to town, just bring your charger. If it runs out of juice a day before town, the sky will not fall...

Ramble~On
02-19-2009, 17:04
http://www.mobilewhack.com/energi-thumb.bmp (http://www.mobilewhack.com/energi.bmp)

http://www.mobilewhack.com/energizer-energi-to-go-portable-power-for-apple-ipod/

They make these for iPods, PDA's, phones etc.
"They" say it's good for a 32 hour boost on an 80 gig classic.
I haven't tested it out yet.

Transient Being
02-22-2009, 13:39
Last time I went hiking I brought my Ipod shuffle with me listened to it on and off for four days, then listened to it on a five hour drive back home, then listened to it some more. I hope it last that long the next time.

I also weighed it. the ipod weighs half an ounce, and the headphones weigh another half an ounce. Total one ounce.

I can't seem to find battery operated charger for it though.

beerandpizza
02-22-2009, 23:14
we just bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-Charge-Portable-Charger-iPhone/dp/B000R1C42O