PDA

View Full Version : Cubin Fiber

Stir Fry
02-18-2009, 10:01
I just finished a project using Cubin Fiber. Made a pack cover 1.4 oz and a pack liner .9 oz. I was wondering about the durability of the Cubin Fiber. Seems strong enough, hard to cut, but very light. Does it hold up to day to day use or should I stay with Sil-Nylon cover? Thanks

Foyt20
02-18-2009, 10:12
this is not a productive post:

When i read the title, i could have sworn it said Cabin Fever.

I think i need to get on the trail :D
Back to the productive post

Cuben Fiber can really be messed up quickly as a pack cover (since it is exposed to tree branches and rocks and stuff like that, so it may be good to use the cuben liner and a sil nylon cover. Im sure others will agree and dissagree with that statement though so we will see what the responses are.

Mr. Regulator
02-18-2009, 10:52
Have you ever actually owned a Cuben Fiber pack or pack cover? It's actually far more durable than SilNylon.....especially if you use the higher grade stuff.

Check out the real facts and well made reasonably-priced gear at www.zpacks.com (http://www.zpacks.com).

JAK
02-18-2009, 10:58
I would only question using cuben fibre for an item that should be redundant in the first place.

Mr. Regulator
02-18-2009, 12:15
I would only question using cuben fibre for an item that should be redundant in the first place.

Can you explain what you mean by that.

Cuben fiber is stronger than SilNylon and, for all practical purposes, is waterproof.

In essence, if you're a true UL backpacker, using a Cuben pack is a better choice than SilNylon and you can leave the cover at home since that indeed is redundant being that the pack itself is waterproof (assuming no gaping holes).

Cuben Fiber doesn't tear or puncture easily. A 1" wide strip of this material can suspend over 120 lbs of weight. No SilNylon can even come close. It is also highly UV resistant and will likely keep you and the contents cooler since the colors are generally white or very light. It is, however, somewhat noisy and it won't win any fashion awards. At present, Cuben Fiber is the lightest and strongest material on the market collectively. Obviously there are other lighter and stronger materials, but Cuben Fiber is the only one that offers both to the degree appropriate for this context.

If you're using it as only a pack cover, then it will be plenty sufficient and lighter than any SilNylon immitations (course, you could probably just line your pack with a trash bag and it would handle the water just fine). Keep in mind, many mainstream packs are now made of the Dyneema X fabric, which again, for all practical purposes is waterproof in the context of being used as a backpack. As long as you don't have any obvious open holes (a roll down top is a good idea) then a trash bag will likely be the lightest and least expensive option.

zelph
02-18-2009, 14:25
I just finished a project using Cubin Fiber. Made a pack cover 1.4 oz and a pack liner .9 oz. I was wondering about the durability of the Cubin Fiber. Seems strong enough, hard to cut, but very light. Does it hold up to day to day use or should I stay with Sil-Nylon cover? Thanks

What information did you have on the fabric before you chose to use it? I say stay with the cubin fiber.

Stir Fry
02-18-2009, 19:33
What information did you have on the fabric before you chose to use it? I say stay with the cubin fiber.
I saw it at quist outfitters and ordered some to give it a try. When I got it i was not shur if it would work until I started working with it. Its some tough stuff. I could not belive how light it was. Just dumb luck chosing it though.

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 19:52
[quote=Foyt20;782380]...

When i read the title, i could have sworn it said Cabin Fever.

U have, indeed, been in the house too long!

mtnkngxt
02-18-2009, 20:15
I had a Zpack and it got torn to shreds in the Green Tunnel that is the AT. Cuben Fiber and sylnylon are neither in my opinion a good option for AT thrus. I prefer Dyneema X.

Dogwood
02-18-2009, 21:51

Cuben fiber is stronger than SilNylon and, for all practical purposes, is waterproof.

In essence, if you're a true UL backpacker, using a Cuben pack is a better choice than SilNylon and you can leave the cover at home ...

Mr. Regulator, thank U for your post and the Zpacks link. Your post cut down on my ignorance factor. I can see some excellent uses for cuben fiber gear in its various versions/wts. The material makes alot of sense for my hiking style when used in stuff sacks and tarps. Excuse me if I seem blunt or naive, but virtually all the cuben fiber packs I've seen on the trail(I have only limited exposure w/ about a dozen or less cuben fiber made packs) look shredded after very short term use(I didn't always inquire about the wt. of the cuben fiber used and I see the the Zpacks site doesn't recommend the .6 Cuben fiber be used for packs) - patched punctures, stitched or taped seams had unraveled or had to somehow be repaired, frayed edges with exposed stringy Spectra fibers, etc. R what I commonly noticed. I question their use on trails where abrasive conditions or an abundance of prickly sharp pointed plants R frequently encountered or, obviously, if folks are not prepared to give their gear the TLC that some UL gear requires. I would tend to believe these packs are made for a niche market at present. I would also think that construction/manufacturing methods and designs have been advancing using this material for various backpacking applications. Where do U see this material going in regards to backpacking applications? If U did use Cuben packs for an entire AT and PCT thru-hikes what wt. Cuben would u suggest the packs be made from and would one pack last a whole thru-hike? In what condition do U suppose a Cuben pack would be in at the end of a thru-hike an either the AT or PCT?

And, what is a true UL backpacker? I can tell U believe it is someone who learns to use pieces of their kit in multiple fashions. It would seem that U also R suggesting that a true UL backpacker is one who always chooses the lighter wt. alternative!

JAK
02-19-2009, 21:32

In essence, if you're a true UL backpacker, using a Cuben pack is a better choice than SilNylon and you can leave the cover at home since that indeed is redundant being that the pack itself is waterproof (assuming no gaping holes).

Cuben Fiber doesn't tear or puncture easily. A 1" wide strip of this material can suspend over 120 lbs of weight. No SilNylon can even come close. It is also highly UV resistant and will likely keep you and the contents cooler since the colors are generally white or very light. It is, however, somewhat noisy and it won't win any fashion awards. At present, Cuben Fiber is the lightest and strongest material on the market collectively. Obviously there are other lighter and stronger materials, but Cuben Fiber is the only one that offers both to the degree appropriate for this context.

If you're using it as only a pack cover, then it will be plenty sufficient and lighter than any SilNylon immitations (course, you could probably just line your pack with a trash bag and it would handle the water just fine). Keep in mind, many mainstream packs are now made of the Dyneema X fabric, which again, for all practical purposes is waterproof in the context of being used as a backpack. As long as you don't have any obvious open holes (a roll down top is a good idea) then a trash bag will likely be the lightest and least expensive option.I meant that the sort of person that would use cuben fibre for a pack probably wouldn't consider a pack liner or pack cover neccessary.