PDA

View Full Version : Maccat Deluxe

Ekul
02-18-2009, 11:16
I had my first experience under my maccat deluxe I bought from Wilswim thru the forums. Spent 4 nights under it in windy conditions. Tarp is quiet as can be. I was amazed. 2 of us hit the ground bc of the 35 and under temps as I am not yet ready for winter hammocking. Had enough room for us and our gear and still had room to get out of the elements and cook with no wind screen 15mph steady wind with 30mph gusts. All in all best tarp ive owned yet. Well worth the money and is light and packs down to a 4" x 7" stuff bag.

Red Hat
02-18-2009, 12:06
didn't know anyone ever sold their MacCats... unless they upgraded to the new lighter, but noisier fabric... glad to know you were pleased. I love my MacCat!

bigcranky
02-18-2009, 14:09
I'm curious, did you stake the sides down to the ground in that wind? How much coverage did you get, and headroom?

I'm considering taking my Maccat Deluxe next month on a section hike in Georgia, and using it as a ground tarp. It would be a lot lighter than my Tarptent. I guess I could go set it up in my yard....

Ekul
02-18-2009, 15:08
I'm curious, did you stake the sides down to the ground in that wind? How much coverage did you get, and headroom?

I'm considering taking my Maccat Deluxe next month on a section hike in Georgia, and using it as a ground tarp. It would be a lot lighter than my Tarptent. I guess I could go set it up in my yard....

I did the "flying A". Tied 4-5ft high one end of ridgeline then guyed out the left and right and staked the rest to the ground. had enough room to sit up in my bag and cook and pack gear. Im 5'10" if it matters. Ive been a blue tarp tent dude for many years and wont go back. There is no way you can get a blue tarp as taunt as the Maccat. Simply a wonder product.:sun

bigcranky
02-18-2009, 17:31
Thanks. I've used the flying A with a square tarp, but not a cat-cut. I'll have to try that.

Deerleg
02-18-2009, 18:07
I will be field testing mine all next week...I'll report how it goes. Its supposed to be pretty cold still.....

JaxHiker
02-18-2009, 22:41
Glad to hear it went well. I love my MacCat.

heescha
02-18-2009, 23:48
i can't wait to get a MacCat! sounds like it's the way to go