PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola to Wytheville and Return

frisbeefreek
02-18-2009, 11:48
Hi - I'm working on logistics for a open-ended 6-week hike from Amicalola. I might have to bail earlier if my body doesn't cooperate.

My best guess is that I will finish hiking in the Wytheville to Roanoke corridor.

It looks like my best option (cheapest, most flexible) is to drive to Amicalola, park car and hike north and return when done.

Question -- Is there an easier way to get from Wytheville/Roakoke to Amicalola around April 10th'ish (date flexible)? The best I've found is to use Greyhound (I-81) to Atlanta (13hrs by dog - ugh), then normal shuttle methods to ASP.

The other option is to fly to Hartsfield and out of Bristol/Roanoke, but this is obviously much more expensive and more importantly, less flexible.

Thanks-FF

Jaybird
02-18-2009, 11:54
Hi - I'm working on logistics for a open-ended 6-week hike from Amicalola. I might have to bail earlier if my body doesn't cooperate.................ETCETCETC............... ...........................................The other option is to fly to Hartsfield and out of Bristol/Roanoke, but this is obviously much more expensive and more importantly, less flexible.
Thanks-FF

First let me say...it's been my EXPERIENCE...(section-hiking since 2002) nothing is CHEAP or EASY when it comes to planning a section hike...

I'd suggest fly into ATLANTA, get a shuttle to SPRINGER...then when you get to the ROANOKE "corridor" & get ready to "jump off" the trail...call a shuttle service to get you to ROANOKE airport & fly home from there.:D

I'll be sectioning this year in May (w/ "Model-T", "Jigsaw" & "DAKS") NOBO from Harpers Ferry,WV to Swatara Gap,PA:D

Yukon
02-18-2009, 12:00
Does the trail run through Wytheville?? I used to live in Wytheville for about 2 years and I don't remember that. But then again, I wasn't into hiking that much at that point...

frisbeefreek
02-18-2009, 12:15
It crosses I-81 at Rural Retreat and I-77 at Bland (both are about 12-miles from Wytheville).

Alligator
02-18-2009, 12:20
It's about $200 for bus tickets from Pittsburgh to Atlanta and Wytheville back to Pittsburg. Your car trip would be about 1500 miles round trip + bus fare back to your car. Those two are probably a wash in terms of $ and time. You need at least one shuttle for both of those options at Wytheville, so you would need to also consider a shuttle to get to the strart if you don't bring a car. A flight might save you some time and might be reasonable as well. I'd give serious consideration myself to skipping using the car for that distance. Let someone else do the driving.

The train looks to be expensive and time consuming as you would have to go to DC in the middle.

A last option might be to post on the ride board here at WB, since you are going to Springer there's a chance you might be able to hook up with someone to save some transportation costs.

Yukon
02-18-2009, 12:27
It crosses I-81 at Rural Retreat and I-77 at Bland (both are about 12-miles from Wytheville).

Ahh I see...wow, it's been a little while since I heard those town names! :) Have fun on your section hike!

frisbeefreek
02-18-2009, 13:53
Folks - Thanks (esp. Alligator for the cost/benefit of driving).

Best option right now looks like to fly into Hartsfield, they Dog it North from Wytheville to Pittsburgh. After living in Europe, I was totally spoiled by their public transportation network.

mountain squid
02-18-2009, 15:31
Consider hiking towards your car. Get all the logistics done first. Then when finished with your hike, just in get car and leave.

Check out rambunny's Happy Hiker Hollow Hostel (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/companion%20updates%202008.pdf) near Rural Retreat in Atkins. This thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35616) also.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

SkraM
02-18-2009, 15:40
I concur with Mountain Squid. Hike back to your car. That way you don't have to deal with all the logisics at the end of your hike. This method has alway worked best for me.

Have a great time.

fredmugs
02-20-2009, 11:41
I heard that the people who operate Trent's Grocery in the Bland area (VA 606 right off of VA 42) offer incredibly cheap shuttle service. A guy I hike with said he was charged 60 cents a mile last year.

I just stayed in Wytheville and started a hike on Va 606. It is 26 miles away.

They can be reached at 276-928-1349.

CBSSTony
02-20-2009, 18:06
Could Amtrak be an alternative? It used to go to Gainesville GA.

frisbeefreek
02-20-2009, 19:20
Thanks for everyone's help.

I think I'm set. Gonna fly into Atlanta, shuttle to the trailhead, and then jump off the trail when convenient - Probably Greyhound it up I81. The suggestions above are good, but my biggest problem is that I don't know when/where I'll finish, so the price I pay for the flexibility is 12hrs in coach.