PDA

View Full Version : June 30, 2009 SOBO Gearlist

Wrangler88
02-18-2009, 13:21
Alright, so I think that I've got everything on here. This is what I'm planning to be my final list so if you have a suggestion on things to do differently, please let me know. I don't really want to buy anything expensive to replace something I have (ie - a different sleeping bag, etc.) but if there are things I am missing, or something you think I could do without please let me know. Also, I'm planning on going stoveless. I read Garlic's trailjournal and his methods really appeal to me. I'm going to be trying it out over the next 4 months or so before my thru hike to make sure its what I really want to do. If not, I have three different stoves, an esbit-beercan stove, jetboil, and a heavier one that I wouldn't really consider taking. I'm planning long days, or not spending much time in camp, so ... if that helps at all. Thanks in advance. (Hopefully this will get some posts - SOBO forum isn't exactly the social Mecca on this site.)

Backpack - Golite Jam2 (2009 version) w/o the backpannel - 25.4oz
Quilt - Golite Ultra 20 - 19.8oz
Sleeping Pad - Z Rest (modified) - 7.8oz
Tarptent - Contrail - 24.6oz

2 Quart Size Powerade Bottles - 3.4oz
Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Chapstick, Bandaids, Ibuprofin, Baggie - 2oz
Roll of Toilet Paper - 3.5oz
Ducttape, Gear Repair Kit - 1.9oz
Petzel Headlamp w/ Batteries - 2.3oz
Nylon Rope (25' about) - 1.7oz
Potable Aqua Tablets - 1.1oz
Compass - .8oz
Mini Bic Lighter - .4oz
Razor Blade - .1oz
Bandana - 1.1oz
7 Sheets of Loose Paper for Journal - .9oz
Mechanical Pencil - .2oz
Cellphone - iPhone - 5.4oz
Headphones - .4oz
Charger - 1.6oz
Camera - 10.4oz
Extra Batteries - 1.7oz
Liscense and Debit Card - .3oz
Cash - 1 oz
50 Pages of Appalachian Pages and Baggie - 2oz
3 Plastic Baggies - .2oz
Large Stuff Sack for Food Sack - 1oz
Trashbag for Pack Liner - .8oz
Under Armour Thermal Pants - 7oz
Under Armour Thermal Top - 7.7oz
Extra Socks - 1.2oz
Marmot Precipt Jacket - 11.5oz
Maps - I've ordered them but don't have them yet to weigh.

I think the total comes out to around 9.3lbs without maps, food, or water.
And obviously this list doesn't contain the things I plan to wear everyday, such as my shorts, shirt, socks, underwear, shoes, watch, and hat. I'll also have a pair of Leki poles that obviously won't be in my backpack either.

Hooch
02-18-2009, 13:23
Might want to add:

Knife
First Aid Kit
Stove
Pot
Spoon/Spork
Warm hat of some sort
Rain gear
Insulating layers

Good luck with your hike!

Tilly
02-18-2009, 13:29
You may want to think about a headnet/bugspray for that time of year.

Wrangler88
02-18-2009, 13:31
Yeah, you're right. Just as soon as I read that, I felt like smacking myself on the forehead. Good call.

Wrangler88
02-18-2009, 13:32
Yeah, you're right. Just as soon as I read that, I felt like smacking myself on the forehead. Good call.

This was meant to be having to do with the bug netting and bug spray.

Frick Frack
02-18-2009, 14:04
Ahhh, leaving the day after my b-day...excellent...

I would add a , insulated vest, gloves (liners is what I had), knife (used it alot) and a hat. DEFINATELY take a bug net and repellant...the mosquitoes & black flies will be horrible. Take plenty of food through the 100 Mile Wilderness (8-9 days starting out sobo) because we underestimated and about ran out.

Tilly
02-18-2009, 14:06

Yeah, that way you can put up your tent, get water, and cook dinner without losing your mind:)

Wrangler88
02-18-2009, 14:42
The razor blade I have listed, is what I'm using as a knife. I stole that from Garlic too.

My first aid kit falls under the bandaids, ibuprofen, bandana. I know its very simple but, I think its possible. I don't know if anyone agrees.

I also mentioned that I'm going stoveless/cookless. So, the stove, pot, and spoon are negated. But like I said in the original post, we'll see how that goes. It might change.

At the bottom of the post I listed a few things as well. The things in the 'list' are only the things in my backpack. Not things being worn. Although, I have those listed as well, in sentence form, in the paragraphs before and after the gear list.

And I will definately be adding bug netting and bug spray.

think0075
03-18-2009, 18:29
id lose the compass and think about a fleece. and on thing if your gonna be using a tarptent does it have netting or can bugs fly in? when i do it again i think im gonna bring a my hennessy hammock rain fly with a small ground tarp and then hang a bug net and tuck the bottom under my sleeping bag. and the bug net would be good for the shelters, unless you like being woke up at 4 or 5 in the morning by a mosquito buzzing around your ear looking for a good place to suck the life out ya.

Wrangler88
03-18-2009, 23:49
id lose the compass and think about a fleece. and on thing if your gonna be using a tarptent does it have netting or can bugs fly in? when i do it again i think im gonna bring a my hennessy hammock rain fly with a small ground tarp and then hang a bug net and tuck the bottom under my sleeping bag. and the bug net would be good for the shelters, unless you like being woke up at 4 or 5 in the morning by a mosquito buzzing around your ear looking for a good place to suck the life out ya.

Haha, yeah my tarptent has bug netting.

I'll keep the fleece in mind. Thanks.

Drucif
03-20-2009, 13:39
Funny -- we've got the same exact tent and pack. Though I'm not 100% sold on the pack (I got it at a very very cheap sale) as I don't know if I can get my stuff down to 3100 cu. in. I'm close, but I am planning on taking a stove, and I don't think 7 pages of loose leaf journal is enough for me. Keep me posted how it's working out for you.

mountain squid
03-20-2009, 16:55
Looks pretty good. Some observations:

hydration system for drinking on the go
camp footwear - also convenient for stream crossings in ME
50' of nylon rope - 25' may not be enough
hand sanitizer
ear plugs
needle for draining blisters
whistle

Don't forget to make reservations for Katahdin Stream CG.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

phillycheze
04-29-2009, 02:05
bourbon?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Two Tents
04-29-2009, 08:20
Hey! I'm SOBO in mid June too. Catch me if ya can! I'd think you will be glad to have some fleece. A bug headnet is gonna be like gold in Maine in June,July. I hope the no stove thing will fly for ya! I would bring one utensil in case you get some magic out there. I doubt you'll use the compass much. RAINGEAR!!! Camp shoes. Other than that your list looks good. Except maybe a small swiss army knife with blade, tweezers, toothpick,ect(the smallest one I think) it doesn't weigh squat! Happy Trails--- Two Tents.

Blissful
04-29-2009, 11:21
Be sure you have enough line for the tarptent as there are lots of platforms in New England, etc.
Kind of why I prefer freestanding until I get out of the north. That and for the bugs.

Wrangler88
04-29-2009, 11:55
bourbon?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Hah, I would if I could. Gonna have to wait until after mid August. Not quite 21 yet.

Wrangler88
04-29-2009, 11:58
Be sure you have enough line for the tarptent as there are lots of platforms in New England, etc.
Kind of why I prefer freestanding until I get out of the north. That and for the bugs.

I'm not sure exactly how the tent platforms work. I've never camped on one. A wooden platform sitting a couple feet off the ground? Do I just need to have cord to tie to the ends of the lines already on the tarp tent and stake all that out to the ground?

Wrangler88
04-29-2009, 11:59
Hey! I'm SOBO in mid June too. Catch me if ya can! I'd think you will be glad to have some fleece. A bug headnet is gonna be like gold in Maine in June,July. I hope the no stove thing will fly for ya! I would bring one utensil in case you get some magic out there. I doubt you'll use the compass much. RAINGEAR!!! Camp shoes. Other than that your list looks good. Except maybe a small swiss army knife with blade, tweezers, toothpick,ect(the smallest one I think) it doesn't weigh squat! Happy Trails--- Two Tents.

Hah, I will definately try to catch you! Don't run too fast.

hammock engineer
04-29-2009, 12:11
I wouldn't go anywhere up there without a headnet and 100% DEET. The mosquitos were crazy when I was there in July 07, in a low year for them. Lost count at 80 bug bites on my legs at whitehouse landing. They flew right through the 30% DEET I was carrying.

Blissful
04-29-2009, 13:29
I'm not sure exactly how the tent platforms work. I've never camped on one. A wooden platform sitting a couple feet off the ground? Do I just need to have cord to tie to the ends of the lines already on the tarp tent and stake all that out to the ground?

I have not done it myself. I used my MSR hubba hubba up north. But check the gear forum to see if this is discussed. I know it has been in the past - how to rig a tarptent on a platform. Platforms usually have eyelits to tie your tent off on, but sometimes they are missing too. Might carry a few of those with you.