PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Big Creek?

flemdawg1
02-18-2009, 13:47
I was wondering if its worth it to pay $9 for a NC liscense, pack in a rod and do a lil' bank fishing btween the Th and Walnut Bottoms? Supposedly there's Rainbow and Brook Trout. Are they biting now? What kinda lures?

MOWGLI
02-18-2009, 13:50
Yes. Smallmouth Bass too. Bring a fly rod.

flemdawg1
02-18-2009, 13:59
But I don't have a fly rod, can I use a fly on a regular casting rod? I'm an obvious newb here.

Rasputen
02-18-2009, 15:25
I was wondering if its worth it to pay $9 for a NC liscense, pack in a rod and do a lil' bank fishing btween the Th and Walnut Bottoms? Supposedly there's Rainbow and Brook Trout. Are they biting now? What kinda lures?

Hey Flemdawg1,

Fly Fishing the backcountry of the GSM is my passion! It is absolutely worth it! Even if you get skunked. The cold water slowes down the metabolism of the trout(less feeding) during winter months, so depending on water temp it can be a great day or slow day on the water. Mid day after the sun has a chance to warm up the water a bit = more success! Stealth is a must. Fish up stream and stay low.

Single lure hooks are all that are permitted in the park. I don't use lures so I am no help here. Tennessee or NC license work throughout the park. No trout stamp needed.

Flies on casting rods do not work well. You can get a cheap fly rod but there is a learning curve and the rodo's loooove flies!!

Have a great time! There is nothing I love more than hiking and fly fishing the smokies backcountry. I'll be there in April......

Happy to answer any other questions. Good luck!!

sliderule
02-18-2009, 16:00
I don't use lures...

What do you use?

MOWGLI
02-18-2009, 16:15
What do you use?

flies

Rasputen
02-18-2009, 17:15
What do you use?

Yep, Flies. More specifically a Dry Fly.....

It really depends on the "hatch". My "go to" flies most of the year are Elk Hair Caddis, Parachute Adams, Cahill's, Blue Wing Olive's etc....

Good times to be had on those high mountain streams.......

Ramble~On
02-18-2009, 17:22
Agreed...

A fly rod would be the way to go but if you don't have one or time to "get it down" an ultralight spinning rig will work fine. Single Hook spinners can cover water quickly if you are pushed for time and I do well with muddler minnow flies on an ultralight rod.

If you haven't seen Big Creek before - you'll kick yourself if you didn't bring a rod when you do.

Joe Kessler
02-18-2009, 17:23
They make great 4-piece rods for backcountry fly-fishing...I have an Orvis four-piece that is fantastic...

Ramble~On
02-18-2009, 17:26
For the backcountry fishing I like something small (short) as in most places there isn't room to cast more than 10 or so yards at a go.

Ashepabst
02-18-2009, 18:48
i was at big creek a few weeks ago and the water was pretty low.

karo
02-18-2009, 22:26
You could use a clear casting bubble (float) to spin fish, but you would really scare the fish with it. It opens up to let in water which you should use very little of because you are not going to be casting very far, esp. any of the creeks in the smokeys. Get a 4 piece fly rod and with very little instruction you can be casting in no time. Remember one thing tho, wear camo and hide as much as possible, the fish are very spooky.

Nearly Normal
02-19-2009, 02:19
I fished for trout a couple years ago in NC and 9 bucks wouldn't touch an out of state temp permit.

Mrpokey
02-19-2009, 02:49
Where exactly is this stream? Are there enough fishing oportunities along the At from Ga - VA to pack a rod/reel, and aa handful of flies?

sliderule
02-19-2009, 09:35
Are there enough fishing oportunities along the At from Ga - VA to pack a rod/reel, and aa handful of flies?

No.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2009, 09:37
Where exactly is this stream? Are there enough fishing oportunities along the At from Ga - VA to pack a rod/reel, and aa handful of flies?

yes

Sly
02-19-2009, 09:51

Maybe. :D

PS Big Creek is in the northern end of the park. Take the Low Gap Trail (preferred to Walnut Bottoms) or Chestnut Branch Trail off the AT to get there.

Rasputen
02-19-2009, 10:32

As Sly mentioned,Big Creek is in the North East end of the Park.

A good option for fishing some of the finest streams of the GSMNP is the BMT on your way through. Great trail, great camping sites, fewer hikers(more solitude), and endless opportunities for fishing. Good stuff.... Enjoy..

flemdawg1
02-19-2009, 11:38
I fished for trout a couple years ago in NC and 9 bucks wouldn't touch an out of state temp permit.

$10 will get you a 3-day NC permit, and you don't need a trout stamp in the NP. $9 was for a Gatlinburg permit, but they are catch-release until March, and I'm not sure if that works in the NP like a state liscese.

flemdawg1
02-19-2009, 11:40
Oops, it's $5 for a 10-day permit, non-trout.

flemdawg1
02-19-2009, 11:42
Dangit, $10 for 10d permit ($5 was for NC resident). http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg01_License/pg1a1.asp

MOWGLI
02-19-2009, 11:42
A Tennessee license is valid in the entire park.

Sly
02-19-2009, 11:45
Lone Wolf turned me on to the Low Gap Trail. Highly suggested, it follows water most of the way. It's just after Cosby Shelter. It was better when you could just follow beyond to Mountain Moma's when they were open. If you don't want to hike up the dirt road, back to the trail, you can walk the paved road a couple more miles and follow the creek to I-40. Of course, you can always hike the Chestnut Branch Trail, from near the ranger station back to the AT.

Good place to get some blue blazing in. (The only downside you'll miss Mt Cammerer tower)

MOWGLI
02-19-2009, 11:50
Lone Wolf turned me on to the Low Gap Trail.

Great trail and alternate to the white blazes. There is almost no fishable water along the AT in the park.

sliderule
02-19-2009, 14:03
Lone Wolf turned me on to the Low Gap Trail. Highly suggested, it follows water most of the way.

There is not much water along the Low Gap Trail. Perhaps you are thinking of the Big Creek Trail.

Lone Wolf
02-19-2009, 14:05
there's plenty of water on the low gap trail

Sly
02-19-2009, 14:26
There is not much water along the Low Gap Trail. Perhaps you are thinking of the Big Creek Trail.

Maybe not good for fishing (I don't know that) but of course there's water. It follows a drainage and has a creek. :rolleyes:

Ramble~On
02-19-2009, 14:27
there's plenty of water on the low gap trail

Most of the trail anyway until it gets steep and the trail veers away from the stream. It wouldn't be my first choice for fishing in the park though.
Good trail for watching bears - if you're into that sort of thing. This is sweet hike up to the tower.

karo
02-19-2009, 20:52
flemdawg1,
Check with the TN wildlife resources Agency, http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/licenses.htmlthey might have a reciprocal agreement with AL on the license. All you need is a TN temp license or a NC temp license since a trout stamp is not needed. I would be glad to give you a few pointers if you are not going in the next couple of weeks. I have "taught" people a few things a turned them loose and they have caught fish. Usually more than I do. I am a lifetime member on Middle TN Flyfishers and tye and build my own rods.

Nearly Normal
02-20-2009, 18:32
Dangit, $10 for 10d permit ($5 was for NC resident). http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg01_License/pg1a1.asp

For a short term out of State you will need:
Fishing-$10.00
Trout $10.00
Also include a Mountain Heritage if you plan to fish certain bodies of water $5.00

$20.00 to 25.00 depending on location.
That sounds like about what I paid the last trip.

rainmaker
02-21-2009, 19:15
About 35 years ago Madame and I were car camping at Big Creek with our two young children. Being from the lower part of SC, I was not familiar with trout fishing and did not come prepared so I just watched. Fishermen were all over the place and from all over the place. Most came equipped with the latest in gear including split bamboo rods, waders and whatnot. Few however caught many fish except for one old geezer wearing overalls and hightop Keds. His gear consisted of a cane pole with a length of fly line, a short leader and a dry fly. He would work up stream, hiding behind boulders and the occassional log ,flipping his fly up stream with the flick of his wrist. He caught his limit everyday. The dude was good. I've always wanted to fish that creek.

karo
02-21-2009, 20:28
For a short term out of State you will need:
Fishing-$10.00
Trout $10.00
Also include a Mountain Heritage if you plan to fish certain bodies of water $5.00

$20.00 to 25.00 depending on location.
That sounds like about what I paid the last trip.
You do NOT need a trout stamp (or license whatever you want to call it) in GSMNP (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fishing.htm). Either a NC (http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_Purchase_License.htm) or TN (https://www3.wildlifelicense.com/tn/) license is required to fish the entire park. Click on the highlighted links for more info.:sun

Just Plain Jim
02-21-2009, 23:53
Back in 05 I watched a couple of fishermen trying their luck behind Mtn. Momas. When using a spinning rod, I always had luck with Mepps spinners, casting upstream and floating it down to me.

karo
02-22-2009, 22:42
Another rule in the Park, No live or artificial bait,i.e. commercial bait like power bait. Only single hook spinners, or lures are allowed.

flemdawg1
03-02-2009, 12:57
Didn't catch a thing. :-{ Probably due to me using casting lures incorrectly in the too fast frigid waters of Walnut Bottoms campsite area. I need to add weights for my lures to cast correctly but forgot to pack any in.

Rasputen
03-02-2009, 15:42
Didn't catch a thing. :-{ Probably due to me using casting lures incorrectly in the too fast frigid waters of Walnut Bottoms campsite area. I need to add weights for my lures to cast correctly but forgot to pack any in.

Some of the finest fly fisherman in those mountians have been skunked on an occasion or two. Spring is coming,and it's going to get better.

When the water temperature reaches the 55 f to 65 f range you have the ideal fishing conditions. The trout's metabolism is in high gear and they feed constantly. Right now the temp prolly hovers around mid 30's. Not the best of conditions even for seasoned fisherman.

A piece of split shot 10-12 inches above your lure will help keep it down. Keep the slack out of your line at all times. (Most) trout take a fly or lure very suttle, unlike bass that attack.

Proficiency at fishing the mountain streams takes time. Once you get it figured out you can then perfect your art!

Just being in the mountains on a a free stone stream is reward enough....

Best of luck

Ridgerunner50
03-02-2009, 19:31
How is the fishing in the backwoods lately? Three of us fished out of Elkmont on the Little River and Jakes Creek. We did not catch sqwat or even see a minnow swimming. We were told that the area had gone through a severe draught the year before to where a lot of the backwoods creeks had nearly dried up and it would be years before the fishing was back to where it use to be. Anyone catching anything recently?

Rasputen
03-02-2009, 22:10
How is the fishing in the backwoods lately? Three of us fished out of Elkmont on the Little River and Jakes Creek. We did not catch sqwat or even see a minnow swimming. We were told that the area had gone through a severe draught the year before to where a lot of the backwoods creeks had nearly dried up and it would be years before the fishing was back to where it use to be. Anyone catching anything recently?

Right now the fishing is going to be slow. See preceding post. The back country streams will be equally as difficult as the front country streams this time of year. What the back country has going for it is,less pressure. Things are going to heat up quickly in the next month. Literally and figuratively.

Elkmont receives alot of fishing pressure. For better success you have to hike up little river trail a few miles. Although I don't fish it much any more I have caught a lot of Brown's and Rainbow's on little river. There are some big fish in there.

Jakes Creek is a small rainbow stream that,in my opinion,fishes better well above Elkmont.

The park's drought did have a significant impact on the fish population. Survival of the fittest if you will. Having said that,I have found the fishing to be just as good if not better! My fish have been larger on average. The hatches have been great in my opinion and the drought did not have a significant effect on the food source from what I can tell. Maybe less competition with an adequate food source equals bigger fish. No scientific evidence mind you,rather my own personal experience. My overall numbers of fish have remained the same over the past year. I last fished the smokies in October and November and did very well.

The Smoky Mountain trout are hardy little creatures that have adapted to adverse conditions over the years and continue to thrive. The more time you spend on the streams the better you get. If you really want to lower the learning curve get a guide for the day. You will learn more in a few hours than months of reading a book. Time on stream is the key.

Standing knee deep in a crystal clear mountain stream. It just doesn't get any better. I eagerly anticipate my return....

Good luck......

Ridgerunner50
03-02-2009, 23:28
That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks for info !

Jeepocachers
03-23-2009, 09:42

Just came back from hike up to Walnut bottoms this weekend. I caught some rainbows halfway up Big Creek trail to walnut bottoms using an artificial worm with a weighted hook It took some patience, but they were biting.

karo
03-23-2009, 22:09
Thanks everyone for the fishing updates, I can't wait to get over there.

flemdawg1
03-24-2009, 10:52
Just came back from hike up to Walnut bottoms this weekend. I caught some rainbows halfway up Big Creek trail to walnut bottoms using an artificial worm with a weighted hook It took some patience, but they were biting.

Yeah I saw some nice looking ones from the trail, but put it off till I got to camp. I'll know better next time.